Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers At 1902 Westheimer Rd.

hysinger

Yeah, we need a Trader Joe's in this neighborhood, but I doubt the parking situation would accomodate that sort of retail, unless they also bought the Old Oak Farms building and petitioned the city to close the block of McDuffie between them (or is that a different street?).

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Anyone got any information on this piece of land? There was quite a buzz when the demolition was carried out but it's sort of lain fallow since then. I'm really keen to see what they put here.

The Origin deal died mid last year when the market fell apart (or even just before). The owner has assembled more dirt together, I think its about 45 or 50,000 sf now. But his cost basis is high and simply put, nothing makes sense to build here right now. Especially if its not a dense project. Even if he had a 50% leased building its hell to get a loan right now.

Trader Joes would be great anywhere in the inner loop, but they wont come to Houston unless they do Austin, Dallas and San Antonio at the same time and retailers are trying to survive, not expand right now.

However, email them and tell them you would like to see them in Houston. They do read and listen to input from (potential) customers.

.....Trader Joes would be great anywhere in the inner loop, but they wont come to Houston unless they do Austin, Dallas and San Antonio at the same time and retailers are trying to survive, not expand right now.

However, email them and tell them you would like to see them in Houston. They do read and listen to input from (potential) customers.

I seem to remember several threads expressing the wish for Trader Joe's in Houston. Research (here & elsewhere) reveals that Trader Joe's is a subsidiary of the German owned discount grocer Aldi. As of this month, Aldi will be hiring for its new warehouse in Denton. The company's been planning an expansion into Texas & Florida; apparently the economy hasn't stopped it yet.

Will Aldi in the Metroplex lead to Trader Joe's in the Metroplex? Will both stores eventually trickle down from the Metroplex to Big Houston? Stay tuned....

...In the meantime, it's not a bad idea to email Trader Joe's & beg. I shopped there on a visit to LA & would love to see it in Houston.

Damn - I saw this and thought TJ's would be moving into that lot. How perfect would that be?? This being H-town though the city would require half the lot to be parking so any pipedreams of a pedestrian-oriented neighborhood grocery store will remain just that I guess....

It's kind of like Whole Foods but the store at least that I was in in SF was a lot smaller and more intimate. I've also been in one in San Diego that was on a smaller scale as well. I don't know if that's a company ethos or was just enforced on them by the cicrumstances, but it gave the shops an intimate feel. It would be perfect for a walkable area like the one on Westheimer east of Shepherd.

Trader Joe's is a lot less expensive than Whole Foods. It's a smaller store with an "Island Vibe." The staff all wear Hawaiin-esque shirts and are very friendly. They don't have things like a deli counter, butcher or huge produce aisle but they do sell sandwich meats, packaged steaks, and bananas. My friends in Boston that are in med school LOVE the place because of their prepared and frozen foods and for the prices.

Apparently not much longer. 99 cents only is closing all stores in Texas... Hopefully we won't see a vacant store sitting in this area for long. Looks like the new building down the street is still completely empty

Noticed that the 99 cent only store on Westheimer is indeed closed now - had a store closing banner on it and a dumpster out front. I also saw a small bulldozer parked on the old Martha Turner lot, but it didn't look like much of anything

New building down the street still appears to be empty. At least they finished up the front and made it a little more visually appealing

• The title was changed to Westheimer Rd. And Hazard St.
  • The title was changed to Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers At 1902 Westheimer Rd.

Archived