Highway 59 Still Horrible

sidegate

I believe if Txdot rebuilt the portion of 59 from I45 to Spur 527 including the 59 @ 288 intersection and the I45 @ 59 intersection, it would not back up as much, but still not eliminate all congestion as pointed out earlier.

That's still in the plans. In the next 10-20 years, I suspect they'll have to widen the elevated portion of 59 between 527 and 288 from 6 to 8 or 10 lanes, reconstruct the interchange with 288 and 45 and bring the merging distances and lane balances to modern specs, widen the depressed dual freeway section south of downtown from its current 14 lanes to 16 or 20, and add c/d ramps from 59 and downtown side streets to the new tollway being added to 288.

• 4 weeks later...
I passed over 59 on Dunlavy for the first time in a few months at evening rush hour recently. Traffic was still as bad as ever I've seen it in years, people backing up on entrance ramps, etc. Was this not foreseen when the rebuilding of the Spur was taking place? What's the remedy, if any?

On a happier note, the trees that were planeted high above are nice to look at as you sit still in the traffic. The real tall gracefull ones are very uncommon to Texas. They seem like eucolyptus trees like the ones you see all around California. Ironically these type of tree's when on fire bursts out the sap which then spreads out the fires on to homes. Guess we will jsut have to wait and see. Oh well back to 59 blunder topic. The pulsatic neon lights on the bridges have just went blah! Check em out. Colors have fizzled out. :D

I agree the landscaping is nice. Reminds me of parts of San Diego where the freeway goes below grade (there the resemblance ends!).

Just had another advertising brainstorm! since there are large wide panels of dullness/concrete under the bridges as you creep along. I would install very wide side to side panels that advertise the newest car/autos or just any acceptable new products. I mean those ones that are electronic panels that flip on one side to the next. Make it spray paint and bullet proof for the smart asses.

That way as everyone honks at each other maybe a sudden soothing "beach scene" would calm them down. Why not? I bet other cities have thought of it already.

I will start sketches now. I just love the future.

• The title was changed to Highway 59 Still Horrible

Archived