Rapper Pimp C Of UGK Dies

DaTrain

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, ricco, why the ugliness? Even if you didn't like his music, he was a rapper, not a mass murderer.

Reason being is that I've seen some of his stuff and I pretty much despise a considerable amount of rap because of it's tendency to glorify things that it shouldn't and come up with anything truly original as far as beats, hence the sampling they seem to be constantly doing in their music.

If rap gets away from it's gansta' mentality and actually work FOR some good for the community instead of doing its schtick about drugs, ho's, glorifying cars, drive bys, then talk to me about it later.

For now, a good chunk of them are nothing but opportunists that can't really look into the positive things in life, and don't give me that crap about "keeping it real" or "They only write what they know about" because it's a cop out. A creative mind can think of beauty it can dream of, not just of the ugliness that he sees.

So, the "Whatever" still applies.

Reason being is that I've seen some of his stuff and I pretty much despise a considerable amount of rap because of it's tendency to glorify things that it shouldn't and come up with anything truly original as far as beats, hence the sampling they seem to be constantly doing in their music.

If rap gets away from it's gansta' mentality and actually work FOR some good for the community instead of doing its schtick about drugs, ho's, glorifying cars, drive bys, then talk to me about it later.

For now, a good chunk of them are nothing but opportunists that can't really look into the positive things in life, and don't give me that crap about "keeping it real" or "They only write what they know about" because it's a cop out. A creative mind can think of beauty it can dream of, not just of the ugliness that he sees.

So you comment "Whatever" about a person's death because you don't like their music? I am not defending rap and will not, I don't listen to it. But just because I don't listen to bluegrass doesn't mean I'd comment "Whatever" if Alison Krauss died. I just think that's crude. He was somebody's son and possibly brother and father. So what if I don't like his lyrics that doesn't mean his life is worth less than mine--yet that is what you imply when you comment "Whatever".

So you comment "Whatever" about a person's death because you don't like their music? I am not defending rap and will not, I don't listen to it. But just because I don't listen to bluegrass doesn't mean I'd comment "Whatever" if Alison Krauss died. I just think that's crude. He was somebody's son and possibly brother and father. So what if I don't like his lyrics that doesn't mean his life is worth less than mine--yet that is what you imply when you comment "Whatever".

Sorry, he's a "whatever", he was a thug. He was charged and convicted for assault.

That hardly put him in the same class of other artists.

He's no angel, but few of us are, but he espoused and practiced his stupidity. Quite frankly, you can call me rascist or whatever, but I just call such a death "Whatever."

As far as your comparing bluegrass to gangsta rap, yeah. Let's hear about all those hillbillies mowing down the people the next mountain over in their pimp mobile.

Sorry, he's a "whatever", he was a thug. He was charged and convicted for assault.

He's no angel, but few of us are, but he espoused and practiced his stupidity. Quite frankly, you can call me rascist or whatever, but I just call such a death "Whatever."

As far as your comparing bluegrass to gangsta rap, yeah. Let's hear about all those hillbillies mowing down the people the next mountain over in their pimp mobile.

I did not compare rap to bluegrass, read my post again.

Your post is a "whatever". Just another one of those people who don't care and what to bring up what someone did over four years ago.

I'm making the comparison of what you brought up. the singer you named would have died, I would have said "bummer" and moved on with my life. She would get a "pity" or something more expressive if she did something meaningful like partake in something positive, did some serious charity work, or did something substantial to stand out.

Pimp C was hardly the model of a man that did much of anything outside of his music that was even remotely positive. Unlike most other genre's he fills out the typical stereotype by trashing his competitors. http://www.ballerstatus.com/article/news/2007/07/2873/

yeah, real upstanding guy.

I'm making the comparison of what you brought up. the singer you named would have died, I would have said "bummer" and moved on with my life. She would get a "pity" or something more expressive if she did something meaningful like partake in something positive, did some serious charity work, or did something substantial to stand out.

Pimp C was hardly the model of a man that did much of anything outside of his music that was even remotely positive. Unlike most other genre's he fills out the typical stereotype by trashing his competitors. http://www.ballerstatus.com/article/news/2007/07/2873/

I don't think anyone is debating whether or not this guy was a role model or the most upstanding citizen in America. I guess my whole point is that a life is a life. And generally no one's life is completely worthless. Rare would be the day I would respond "whatever" to anyone's death. My mama taught me better.

"They only write what they know about" is what makes the good artists great in all genres of music. If you don't rap about the life you grew up with, you get quality music like 'Crank That Soulja Boy," "Laffy Taffy," and "Boom Boom, Shake Shake the Room." That's not bad because people actually dig that as well, but slamming a dude helped put Houston music on the map by using his own style of lyrics after he passes away doesn't make any sense.

The fact is that many people in Houston and worldwide were fans of his, and millions were looking forward to his jail release for him to turn his life back to music with Bun B and UGK. Once that happened and they got back into the studio, it was considered significant to those who enjoy hip-hop. He was a dude that many people were rooting for, and I guess one of the positives of his passing is that before he died, UGK actually made it on top and bigger than ever before. Unfortunately for those that either don't like hip-hop or UGK's lyrics, their music will remain an influence to hip-hop, the entertainment industry, and music from Houston because of their accomplishments on the charts and their grassroots popularity, neither of which are easy to attain in any genre of music.

They deserved that. Atlanta was coming out with gimmicky crap music (snap your fingers, etc.), that was flooding the airwaves. Pimp C just said what he had to say.

Let's not forget that folks from New York and the rest of the East Coast have been trashing Southern rap, lumpin even the most talented people with the garbage.

SMH @ the negative comments. If U go back and read the intro post, I said Pimp had his problems but that don't make him no thug (meaning to say that). I can't really judge Pimp anyway regardless because of where he had to grow up - it reflects in the songs put out since then. He had a few motivational songs out too (i.e. Broken Dreams).

And smh @ some of u blaming Pimp for what's wrong with music. If u don't like it, turn the radio off instead of whining about it. It starts in the home, u know.

This topic is clearly in wrong section y'all.

WHAT? The topic was about a Houston rapper (Port Arthur native rather) who passed on, made news all over the Houston Media, and u gon tell me it was in the wrong sub-forum? I don't cosign with that. SMH

My best friend was his school teacher when he was 11 years old and living in Port Arthur. She heard the news of his death last night and was very sad. She said that though its been 22 years she remembered him because he used to talk all the time about music. He always said how much he loved to listen to his dad play the trumpet. I send out prayers to his friends and family.

Too bad he couldn't have been a respectable musician like his father.

Wow, ricco, why the ugliness? Even if you didn't like his music, he was a rapper, not a mass murderer.

I'm a day late and a dollar short to this thread, but it seems that multiple times his lyrics have been posted - and then removed, due to graphic content. He may not have committed murder, but his lyrics encouraged it. And what demographic do you think listened and glorified this? Black teenage males. You people don't seem to get it, but one day you'll wake up and realize that rap music is a major crime catalyst. Remove it, and the crime will go down.

Outside of the incident at the mall, what did he do to be labeled "a thug".

He was a gangster rapper that wrote and performed songs degrading women, using and selling drugs, committing crimes, advocating violence, and disrespecting the law. He's not the first, he won't be the last, and yes these messages come in all music formats - but that still doesn't change the fact that he's one of them: a thug.

Good Riddance.

It's sad when anyone dies, but to mourn b/c this guy was such a great rapper and whose name was PIMP C, is just ridiculous.

How we can go from disucssing the Sean Taylor football situation to this is just beyond me. America is two-faced.

"They only write what they know about" is what makes the good artists great in all genres of music. If you don't rap about the life you grew up with, you get quality music like 'Crank That Soulja Boy," "Laffy Taffy," and "Boom Boom, Shake Shake the Room." That's not bad because people actually dig that as well, but slamming a dude helped put Houston music on the map by using his own style of lyrics after he passes away doesn't make any sense.

No. Writing something that will expand their horizons or pushing the edge of what they'll be able to achieve makes for great writing. The thing that really ruined rap for me in the early 90's was the fact that they seemed to do nothing but sampling. Yes, some of it is clever, but it's just a lazy way to do it. You can't really find another genre' that does "sampling". Come to your own conclusions to THAT statement.

The "dude" didn't help Houston music he wasn't that original, and the only reason he was showered with accolades were because of the people that knew him.

The fact is that many people in Houston and worldwide were fans of his, and millions were looking forward to his jail release for him to turn his life back to music with Bun B and UGK. Once that happened and they got back into the studio, it was considered significant to those who enjoy hip-hop. He was a dude that many people were rooting for, and I guess one of the positives of his passing is that before he died, UGK actually made it on top and bigger than ever before. Unfortunately for those that either don't like hip-hop or UGK's lyrics, their music will remain an influence to hip-hop, the entertainment industry, and music from Houston because of their accomplishments on the charts and their grassroots popularity, neither of which are easy to attain in any genre of music.

Yeah, waiting for a man to come out of jail to put out more music. I put them along with the same people that were waiting for Paris to get out of jail. Losers.

As Jeebus has stated, he glorified drugs, degraded women, and abdicated violence. Do you REALLY call that a positive roll model?

My daughter was interested in rap for a few months and quickly blew it off because she found it unoriginal and repetitive. She also realized that the people that listened to it were the most rude people and slackish people in her school. This was coming from a (at the time (15 year old!) she likes trance and Dance music with a little Led Zepplin and doors for the heck of it.

Like I said before, I'm surprised it's listed as "Natural causes" maybe they should make a catagory in wikipedia for "rappers that died of natural causes". I can guarantee you that it would be a VERY short list.

I'm a day late and a dollar short to this thread, but it seems that multiple times his lyrics have been posted - and then removed, due to graphic content. He may not have committed murder, but his lyrics encouraged it. And what demographic do you think listened and glorified this? Black teenage males. You people don't seem to get it, but one day you'll wake up and realize that rap music is a major crime catalyst. Remove it, and the crime will go down.
I'm so sick and tired of people blaming hip hop on murders. I'd rather blame the parents than blame it on music for kids being that way. Black-on-black crime occured way before rap music came into existence; and the CIA planting crack in black communities made the killin rate go up even worse in the late 80's to mid 90's. So get your facts str8 first.
It's sad when anyone dies, but to mourn b/c this guy was such a great rapper and whose name was PIMP C, is just ridiculous.How we can go from disucssing the Sean Taylor football situation to this is just beyond me. America is two-faced.
Well we lost several Black celebs in the past two weeks. Kanye West's mamma died from a botched plastic surgery, Sean Taylor got murdered, SF Bay Area rapper Spice 1 got shot (a day before Pimp's death). Man, this is depressin draggin thru this topic about death.
I work with a LOT more conservative folks than this.This crowd just 'pretends' to be conservative.LOL
And making racial bias comments too. If it was a white rapper who got into the same trouble with the law, opinions on here would be different. I'm just saying. still SMH

I'm so sick and tired of people blaming hip hop on murders. I'd rather blame the parents than blame it on music for kids being that way. Black-on-black crime occured way before rap music came into existence; and the CIA planting crack in black communities made the killin rate go up even worse in the late 80's to mid 90's. So get your facts str8 first.Well we lost several Black celebs in the past two weeks. Kanye West's mamma died from a botched plastic surgery, Sean Taylor got murdered, SF Bay Area rapper Spice 1 got shot (a day before Pimp's death). Man, this is depressin draggin thru this topic about death.And making racial bias comments too. If it was a white rapper who got into the same trouble with the law, opinions on here would be different. I'm just saying. still SMH

Well this is America. Even in 2007 even, you have a bunch of racists and borderline racists or folks with really strong biases.

What else is new?

I'm so sick and tired of people blaming hip hop on murders. I'd rather blame the parents than blame it on music for kids being that way. Black-on-black crime occured way before rap music came into existence; and the CIA planting crack in black communities made the killin rate go up even worse in the late 80's to mid 90's. So get your facts str8 first.

Well we lost several Black celebs in the past two weeks. Kanye West's mamma died from a botched plastic surgery, Sean Taylor got murdered, SF Bay Area rapper Spice 1 got shot (a day before Pimp's death). Man, this is depressin draggin thru this topic about death.

No, I blame it on kids that are just too damned stupid to make the proper decisions. The CIA, eh? Oh lord, here comes the conspiracy theories, right up there with NO's residences claiming that they blew up the levees.

Of the people that died recently, the only one I feel sorry for was West's mommy (But I still don't think she deserved as much news time as she had gotten, but whatever), and Sean Taylor, HE was turning his life around.

The others are no big deal.

Name one positive thing (outside of music) like a foundation, a scholarship, building a home that Pimp C has done and I MIGHT lay off him. Until then, I'll think of him as a self righteous, self centered moron that seem to pervade the black community.

Just so you don't think I wrote that wrong, I SAID "Community".

Hmm...

For those interested, a vigil is planned for Saturday night at Hiram Park (anyone know where that is?), and the funeral will be either Saturday or Sunday:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...o.6d6748f2.html

Bet there is going to be HEAVY security like when a mobster or LA cholo kicks the bucket. Wear a bullet proof vest?

Well, this person would probably have loved the cameras flashing and media buzz, right. I just don't see how some can worship a person that praises the slum, dope and down and out lifestyle? I hear very young children saying the word pimp, ho, etc... thats pathetic. Lower than low. Grow up to de-sensitized robots that become killers like that 18 year old girl that killed the cab driver here recently. No remorse.

I assure right now most of the Texas (and beyond) prison population is in mourning,

after all listening to this garbage is surely what put these jerks/killers there in the 1st place. Cry me a river.

Wow, I think it is retarded to glorify people, even after their death, but this thread has kinda bummed me out.

Many members who I hold in high esteem have shown sides of themselves that can only be called uneducated (on the topic), judgmental, and even down right rude.

I find it really difficult to believe that this group of people would apply this same commentary to the likes of Elvis (womanizer and drug addict), Jerry Garcia (drug addict), or any other passed away musician who had run ins with the law and even sang about not so nice topics.

Pimp C was no different really.

Oh well.

I'm so sick and tired of people blaming hip hop on murders.
Why? Because you know its true? Are you really going to waste keystrokes denying the impact of gangster rap on teenagers in America?
I'd rather blame the parents than blame it on music for kids being that way. Black-on-black crime occured way before rap music came into existence; and the CIA planting crack in black communities made the killin rate go up even worse in the late 80's to mid 90's. So get your facts str8 first.
Learn to spell, then check your facts. No one is going to take you seriously until you do.
Man, this is depressin draggin thru this topic about death.And making racial bias comments too.
Okay Quannell, why don't you quote some of the racially bias comments that "got you so depressed".
If it was a white rapper who got into the same trouble with the law, opinions on here would be different. I'm just saying. still SMH
No, if it were a white rapper there would be no response, because even fewer people would care. White rappers (minus Slim Eminem who emulates the style of a black gangster rapper) aren't taken seriously by anyone in the first place. E.g.: "What? Vanilla Ice died? Dang, looks like I won't get to see him on VH1 Celebrity Screw-Ups Season 8. Oh Well.."

Wow, I think it is retarded to glorify people, even after their death, but this thread has kinda bummed me out.

Many members who I hold in high esteem have shown sides of themselves that can only be called uneducated (on the topic), judgmental, and even down right rude.

I find it really difficult to believe that this group of people would apply this same commentary to the likes of Elvis (womanizer and drug addict), Jerry Garcia (drug addict), or any other passed away musician who had run ins with the law and even sang about not so nice topics.

Pimp C was no different really.

Oh well.

I'm a little confused as to which members you're talking about. I'm not asking for names. But are you speaking of the ones mourning his death or the ones upset that such a person is being heralded as such a great rapper?

And to set the record straight, I'm not only condeming rappers, but anyone who lifts up womanizing or anything like that. These things come in subtle ways, not just the explicit rap.

Really, we all know that looking up to celebrity in general is foolish.

As I stated at very top of this topic:

Positive role model?

Most people at that age out grow this sort of music. I hope this music was motivational music for the followers, if not he just led more youth straight to TDC. Hopefully it was the opposite, encouraged the less fortunate to better themselves, get educated, and make better for the next generation. I do sympathize for his family of course. He will be missed. -_-

For Pete's sake, at age 33 thats just tooooo old to be creating and dancing and promoting this junk. That simple. I can see a 15-17 yrs old, but this is pure immaturity and ignorance for anyone over 21. Don't care what anyone here thinks, but you are judged by your appearance and demeanor and that goes for anyone and everyone. No race card mumbo-jumbo please.

It would have been great to see this person visiting schools and community centers urging youth to finish school and work for a degree. I'm just dreaming I guess. The vicious cycle will continue it seems.

Archived