Texas Lags Nation In Vanity License Plates

So what a non-story this is. I used to have UH plates, but with just the generic numbers they assign. Most of the university plates I see do the same.

I used to work a lot in St. Louis, and it seemed that EVERYONE had vanity plates. And some of them were so silly.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5292661.html

There was a news story this weekend that said personalized tags are easy targets for ID theft crooks? I wanted to see the story but forgot.

It's too bad you cant even have the nice framed kind that have like the city you live in. Cops will ticket you for blocking your license plates they say. Real knit picking. I got my ticket thrown out in court. So why even bother writing the ticket? Another topic. This probably attributes to why Tx does lag.

The license plate frame law has been revoked, or will be very soon. HPD is under order not to enforce, but it might not be offical until 2008.

Imagine getting stopped for this? I did. More than happy to see that most unnecessary law go away. Cop said it conceals your plates like when people are going to do a heist or robbery. :wacko:

108-413280-2.jpg

Hmmm...., so if I had to have one:

BIGOIL

WEBGUY

ITGEEK

CRNHLE

UBOZOS

SHASTA

BIGNRD

FATBST

TWLICH

69MEOK

UDOMEK

Couldn't have the 69 one

or CRNHLE, and

FatBastard would be cuttin it close. It has been MY experience that you have to explain what the plate means, and the state doesn't allow references to God, Sex or derog. terms.

My Cutlass has a YOM plate, that is almost a vanity because of the initials and numbers on it.

lots of vanity plates in illinois, too. i remember seeing a lot of cars in indiana with illinois vanity plates. registration/tax in indiana was stupidly high, so a lot of people registered in IL. I don't know how, but they did.

i'm not a fan of vanity plates for me, but i find them... interesting.

Imagine getting stopped for this? I did. More than happy to see that most unnecessary law go away. Cop said it conceals your plates like when people are going to do a heist or robbery. :wacko:

108-413280-2.jpg

The law has been modified. Now it states that you can now have license plate frames, as long as they don't obscure more than HALF of the word TEXAS. Check this out for some bedtime reading.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R...ml/SB00369I.HTM

There was a news story this weekend that said personalized tags are easy targets for ID theft crooks? I wanted to see the story but forgot.

It's too bad you cant even have the nice framed kind that have like the city you live in. Cops will ticket you for blocking your license plates they say. Real knit picking. I got my ticket thrown out in court. So why even bother writing the ticket? Another topic. This probably attributes to why Tx does lag.

I've never understood license plate frames. Well, maybe aftermarket ones that you put on yourself are OK. But I've never understood people who leave on the frame with the dealership's name and logo on it. Why should my car be used as a dealership's billboard? If a car dealer wants me to advertise its place on my license plate, then it should cut me a check every month.

When I bought my last car (at that crappy Mercury dealer on I-10 near Beltway 8 - AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!) I wouldn't sign any paperwork until my car was completely prepped for me to drive away and I inspected it to make sure there were no license plate frames and no dealer name decal.

Car dealers spend millions each year on billboards along the freeways, but for some reason people feel that they should get free advertising on our cars.

I've never understood license plate frames. Well, maybe aftermarket ones that you put on yourself are OK. But I've never understood people who leave on the frame with the dealership's name and logo on it. Why should my car be used as a dealership's billboard? If a car dealer wants me to advertise its place on my license plate, then it should cut me a check every month.

When I bought my last car (at that crappy Mercury dealer on I-10 near Beltway 8 - AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!) I wouldn't sign any paperwork until my car was completely prepped for me to drive away and I inspected it to make sure there were no license plate frames and no dealer name decal.

Car dealers spend millions each year on billboards along the freeways, but for some reason people feel that they should get free advertising on our cars.

Why not have them take off all the Mercury emblems also ? Bottomline, if you didn't feel you were getting treated right, then why the HELL would you stay around and be abused ?

Dealerships could give 2 squirts whether you have their name on the back or not, that is why they don't bolt them onto the vehicle, and use stickers and plastic plate surrounds. They know the majority of people aren't gonna give a second thought. It is that 1% of 1% that they know will "have to have the decal taken off IMMEDIATELY, or they will be Mr.Hardass and not buy !", after all, they already have your money, and know that you probably won't have ANY loyalty to the dealership when it comes time for you to buy again, and you'll just go to whoever is will to take a holdback deal to make a unit count. You are what is considered the 10% rule. So, they don't mind taking it off for you, thye realize they can't please everyone.

I have told alot of people about this website and how great it is, and I think some have joined or at the very least lurked around. Should I get a check from you editor ? No, and I wouldn't expect one either.

Edited by TJones

I thought the dealer went down on the price if the owner let them put that on there. I figured people wouldn't just let them do that w/o any incentive. Yet they let them do it for free? That's dumb.
There was no way the dealer was going to go down on the price I paid. I negotiated to a rediculously low price. When he refused to go any lower, I started to walk out which took another $1,000 off. Then I told him if he came down another $1,000 I'd buy two cars. He did, and I did. My wife's car was falling apart and my lease was up on my car, so we needed two. I just didn't let him know until the last minute.
Why not have them take off all the Mercury emblems also ?
I tried that on my last car. Turns out the "Probe" logo was attached to the body with a fastener through a hole, so I ended up with two small holes in the trunk. I didn't want to chance it with the new car.