Anything You Want

gwilson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

A chain of bowling alleys that specifically disallows "excessively baggy clothes", "athletic wear of any kind" (except ballcaps), "headgear" (except ballcaps and stylish hats), etc., and that features photography of only whites and asians in the venue photos and videos on its website...might be sending a message to certain other populations that...if you're brown...you're just not that welcome there.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, as Editor has evidently deemed it some kind of a personal attack in a thread about the local shopping center where it is located, and in which other posters were talking about it without getting hassled.

I wonder, is being plainly objective and realistically scrutinizing against forum guidelines? Is it a personal attack to point out that someone is wrong? Is edgy rhetoric thrown in for the sake of levity against the forum guidelines? Have the forum guidelines been changed recently, requiring that we all be preppy cheerleaders for every little thing that might possibly get built or that got built and didn't live up to expectations? Are we all required to think alike? Are we all required to be humorless? Are we all required to value the tourist experience over and above our community's experience, living here?

Being a giddy pawn of the Greater Houston Tourism & Convention Bureau sounds boring. Seems like it would make for a boring forum (with fewer pageviews and less revenue, I might add).

I used to let it bother me Niche, but then I realized that people act differently online versus in person.

Those that sit behind a computer can essentially get away with exaggerated replies that they would never ever verbally use in person. Almost Trolling. Guilty here of that myself.

A healthy debate is great, but like all "hot topics" they don't belong in certain threads.

We digress a lot here, and it ruins what should be a straight forward and maybe boring "Going Up" thread.

And good choice posting here…in this topic! ;)

Lol. Does that mean that you'd taste better with butter?

ha, I just envisioned myself sitting in a hot tub filled with melted butter, and in order to change the subject, I will regale you with a story about butter. Every time someone mentions butter and seafood, I can't help but think of Leonard Part 6, I only saw the movie once when I was a kid, but for some reason that key subplot of the movie sticks out in my mind of Cosby fending off lobsters with melted butter, and then going on to beat the bad guys by throwing hamburger patties at them (recall they were vegetarians, and the meat in the hamburger patties weakened them, much like kriptonite does to superman).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is Leonard Part 6 is a horrible movie, but a better thing to think about than me stewing in a hot tub filled with melted butter. I highly recommend watching the movie. I think I'm going to see if it's on netflix streaming.

and what's worse about Leonard Part 6 is that it was released at a time when, generally, movies sucked.

I mean, it was book-ended by Howard the Duck (1986) and Real Men (1987), knowing that these same movies were in the theater at the same time, and Cosby still said "this movie is a horrible piece of junk", That really says a lot.

They were probably playing off the 'success' of classic spy/comedies, ie "Spies Like Us".

Some all-time great movies here!!

a digression from here regarding TheNiche and Nick_G

In fairness, you joined the forum and launched a barrage of non-specific whining over issues that everyone acknowledges exist, and did so without bothering to look for previous threads on the subject from which you might learn a thing or two. (I'm not going to go look them up for you, even if you ask nicely. Data retreival for anonymous individuals is not my purpose in life.) Once it was pointed out what you were doing, you felt insulted. I don't know why. The replies you were getting seemed to have substance, even if they took on a frustrated tone. Then you started reporting us to moderators and getting on-topic content containing substance deleted from the forum. From my perspective, it seems like you've let your personal insecurities regarding age or experience (or whatever) overwhelm your better judgement. You're taking it out on us and the content that we devoted our time towards. You want to talk about what's insulting? That's insulting!

I don't know whom else hit the moderator report button, but I know I used it these past two weeks regarding the above. So he was not alone in that regard.

TheNiche' timestamp='1328294030' post='396532']

Want a better relationship with the folks on this forum? Take a step back. Realize that it isn't personal (and shouldn't be). I don't know you. I don't know most of the people on this forum, but I seem to interact more effectively with them. If something issaid that makes you feel insecure, realize that you may be getting presented with an opportunity to grow and adapt. And if you think about it objectively, and it really and truely seems uncalled for, then maybe I'm off my rocker. Maybe I'm making a bad joke. Whatever the case, if it is uncalled for then there's no reason to feel offended; that would be my problem, not yours.

I agree with you 100%, but again, this type of "one on one" contact where it turns about to be more about the people behind the opinions rather that about the content of the opinions, does not belong in the Houston Pavillions in Trouble? thread.

And yes, I hit the moderator report button again. *thumbs up*

I wonder how many times you have had your butt kicked for butting in where you were not invited. Nick looks like he can take care of himself. The forum is better with him here. You, on the other hand, were not missed when you left, and will not be missed the next time you leave. You stir up far more trouble than you solve.

No one likes a snitch, Danny.

I wonder how many times you have had your butt kicked for butting in where you were not invited. Nick looks like he can take care of himself. The forum is better with him here. You, on the other hand, were not missed when you left, and will not be missed the next time you leave. You stir up far more trouble than you solve.

No going anywhere anytime soon, get used to me being around.

Jeez Louise. You sound like the schoolyard bully. Quit flailing out at other posters who dare to disagree with you.

Jeez Louise. You sound like the schoolyard bully. Quit flailing out at other posters who dare to disagree with you.

Pot, meet kettle.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...NOTHING is more personally insulting than the deletion of content that I have taken time out my day to submit to this forum, and especially when it conforms perfectly well to the HAIF guidelines. If it sounds like I'm angry at you for it, it is only because I am angry at you.

Nick_G may be a newbie to this forum and this subject matter, and is still young, wide-eyed, and optimistic about the world. He's going to take his licks as the reality is communicated to him that life is not 'Sim City: Walt Disney edition'. Knowledge such as we discuss here isn't instinctive; it must be learned. But to his great credit, he has proven capable and willing to learn and adapt. He gets the edgy humor (and likes it), he has a thick skin. He doesn't need y'all coming to his defense. It's not like that.

Puma, Subdude, take a good hard look in the mirror before you go out calling people bullies.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...NOTHING is more personally insulting than the deletion of content that I have taken time out my day to submit to this forum, and especially when it conforms perfectly well to the HAIF guidelines.

Maybe if the content was not mixed with personal attacks, whether joking or not, does not belong here. Reread your posts and RedScare's, when the person get's criticized and belittled directly, rather than criticizing or disagreeing with his opinion, it a form of bullying.

Guidelines say not to take threads off topic as best as possible. You went off topic when you addressed and used choice words to describe the forum member, in this case Nick_G

If I ever do the same, I encourage you to report, my feelings won't get hurt and I am sure I will reflect upon it as something that I admittedly did wrong.

Lastly, this forum is set up to allow users to "report" for a reason, I just had to courtesy to address it myself, and will continue to do so.

Oh, an early congrats RedScare on his 12,000th post.

Maybe if the content was not mixed with personal attacks, whether joking or not, does not belong here. Reread your posts and RedScare's, when the person get's criticized and belittled directly, rather than criticizing or disagreeing with his opinion, it a form of bullying.

Guidelines say not to take threads off topic as best as possible. You went off topic when you addressed and used choice words to describe the forum member, in this case Nick_G

Although I cannot speak to Red's posts, I would contest your characterization of my posts as including personal attacks. If I believe someone to be incorrect, I say so. I also tell them why, which brings substance to the forum and keeps the debate productive and engaging. (You should try it sometime.) I lace my comments with acerbic humor. I mock every sort of group of people, and I defend most of them too, even those that are in general opposition to one another (like the West U set vs. the Montrose set, or urban hipsters vs. suburban fuddy-duddies).

But, if just for instance, some self-important NIMBY partisan emerges on HAIF with a myopic worldview and a closed mind, you can bet that I'm going to frame my comments in such a way as that they and others become aware of what they are...while adding substantial content...while adding humor...and without merely calling them a name, uttering some trite and cliched bloviation, and walking away. I don't claim to be polite and well-mannered, and I wouldn't expect the person on the receiving end to enjoy the experience of getting called out, but it is healthy for debate and good for society's sake that they are called out.

Yes, I am aggressive. I attack the idea, and not the person unless they're being disingenuous or engaging in personal attacks, themselves. And no, I'm not above hitting the 'Report' button if they've crossed a line. I'd challenge you to show me where I crossed a line. Look at post #1833 of this thread. I posted it several times, and it kept getting deleted. Why, Puma!? Is it not okay for me to point out the implicit racism of one of the few successful tenants at Houston Pavilions? Is the knowledge of that personally insulting to you or someone else? I don't get it. I'd gladly cite other examples from last week where you over-reached, but they've been deleted. I received no notice of the deletions. No warning by PM that I was crossing a line and needed to dial it back. No explanation for the deletion except that there had been complaints. And worst of all, the deletions were total rather than partial. Substance was deleted along with whatever might have been interpreted as offensive. After the deletions, things got REALLY heated and tangential, with the owner of the forum himself engaging in a personal attack. How was that productive, Puma?

I've crossed lines before. It does happen. I'm not perfect. But I'd prefer that someone call me out on it and embarrass me in front of everyone (because yes, I do feel shame for my wrongdoings and personal attacks are the last refuge of the intellectually damned, IMO) if the alternative is stealthy wholesale deletion of a huge swath of my contributions. I can and should be reasoned with. After all, if I don't know what I've done that's against the guidelines, I'll probably just do it again. And that's not productive, either.

Payam

I really appreciate the support especially being new on here but I think the subject should just be dropped as there are no hard feelings.

Nick_G may be a newbie to this forum and this subject matter, and is still young, wide-eyed, and optimistic about the world. He's going to take his licks as the reality is communicated to him that life is not 'Sim City: Walt Disney edition'.

Optimistic yes but a good portion of that optimism is because most of the people who I hear telling me that things can't be a certain way without facts or figures to prove it (not talking about anyone on here) are coming from a generation that if anything, has done little to gain my trust and much to give me reason to be skeptical. A generation that is well on it's way out. I am young, I do have energy, do I believe I can change the world, no of course not, do I believe if many people work toward a common goal much can be achieved, as trite or cliched as that sounds, yes. Can we do anything without true historical perspective, absolutely not, as history will be bound to repeat itself.

Jack-in-the-box offers up bacon milk shake.

I couldn't resist. It was interesting, if you're into that whole frothy cold vanillobacon taste.

I'm glad they gave me a free sample and i didnt have to pay $3 for the full shake... that would have been a little too much baconshake.. but as for the sample.. a couple spoonfulls o baconshake. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

I couldn't resist. It was interesting, if you're into that whole frothy cold vanillobacon taste.

I'm glad they gave me a free sample and i didnt have to pay $3 for the full shake... that would have been a little too much baconshake.. but as for the sample.. a couple spoonfulls o baconshake. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Hahaha

I know its chic or what not to put bacon in desserts but to grind it up into a shake.... when you were there did Jack in the Box have a recommend pairing?

Chocolate Shake best with Hamburgers

Vanilla Shake best with Chicken

Bacon Shake best with Breakfast Jack Combo ?

&*(^#$^$(&($^$^(@!

I'm leaving now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the RDA HomeTour was this past weekend.

Didn't get a single mention on HAIF. I'm on RDA's email list.. didn't get a mention there either.

Their marketing sucks. I'm pretty ticked that I missed this one.

Was anyone here aware that it was this weekend? Anyone go? Bollocks

City council will be talking tomorrow about a new ordinance for feeding the homeless. http://blog.chron.com/houstonpolitics/2012/03/houston-wants-to-regulate-feeding-the-homeless/ and http://innerlooped.com/1635/homeless-feeding-regulations/

We've contacted James Rodriguez and Wanda Adam's offices in support of it. You may consider contacting your council member as well.

I'm contacting my councilpersons to tell them criminalizing charity is nothing to brag about. Didn't some dude named Jesus feed a bunch of homeless people bread and fish once upon a time? Did he get fined $2,000 for his act of kindness?

I generally have little use for preachers, but when they finally do something worthwhile, such as feeding the less fortunate, the LAST thing I am going to do is attempt to punish them for it. James Rodriguez should be ashamed. Enforce littering rules if you must. But limiting the feeding areas because some people get grossed out at seeing homeless people is ridiculous.

Archived