Office Building At 680 E. 11th St.

RedScare

Just saw a sign for a new office building on 11th Street, between Oxford and Beverly. It is slightly west of Berryhills. Apparently will be 14,000 sf in 2 floors. At one time, the plan was to build a mixed use (hate that term) building, with retail on the 1st floor, and residential units above. Obviously, that is no longer the case. I haven't talked to the owner about this property in over a year, so I do not know what caused the change in plans, other than the inherent problems associated with mixing commercial and residential.

The sign also states "professional building", or something to that effect, suggesting that this will be strictly office space. No renderings seen yet, but I would be willing to bet that the real estate office next door knows what is going in there, as well as what it will look like. I'll check around.

680 e 11th, Houston, Txx 77008

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. Type in 680 E 11th, 77008 to see the location.

The sign also states "professional building", or something to that effect, suggesting that this will be strictly office space.

'Professional office' usually translates to 'medical office' oriented to family medicine, dentists, optometry, and sometimes chiropractors, physical therapy, and other similar firms that are very consumer focused.

'Professional office' usually translates to 'medical office' oriented to family medicine, dentists, optometry, and sometimes chiropractors, physical therapy, and other similar firms that are very consumer focused.

True, but in this case, given its location, I suspect the term is misused.

I know that in some cases, I've seen such buildings also cater to lawyers or accountants, but how do you mean?

It is not located near any hospitals or other professional buildings, so it would be unlikely that this would be strictly a medical professional building.

I drove by the sign again. I misread it. It states that it is to be retail/professional office space. There is also a website with renderings and more information.

Park Place On 11th

It is proposed to have retail or restaurant space on the first floor, with office space on the 2nd floor. It will be at the corner of 11th and Beverly, so the house currently on the corner (realtor office) will be moved.

It is not located near any hospitals or other professional buildings, so it would be unlikely that this would be strictly a medical professional building.

There are a fair number of medical-related practices that aren't close to hospitals. This is attributed to 1) being close to customers, or 2) being closer to where doctors/owners live. This being a relatively small building, I don't doubt that it'll lease up quickly.

Where would you have put the required parking? City codes require a certain number. The lots on 11th are only 125 feet deep. Any suggestions?

Obviously there is a parking space requirement, and they don't have the lot behind them like Berryhills. And there's probably some CoH setback restriction in place.

That said, I'd still like to see the whole building pulled closer to the street, with a patio for the apparent restaurant fronting 11th, rather than (or in addition to) Beverly, on the east side.

Yeah, someday I dream of a walkable retail/restaurant corridor on 11th (mainly because I can walk to there). Somehow, walking down a sidewalk, and then walking across a parking lot to get to an establishment's front door, ruins the vibe for me. Too many years in Europe, I guess.

It is a sports bar, but is run so poorly that hardly anyone goes there. It is routine to have them run out of liquor or beer, the staff is generally not attentive. However, Sunday, they DID have the Pats/Colts game, and were jammed to the rafters, as no other nearby bar, other than SRO, had the game. SRO had a line out the door, so I watched the game at the Sports Lounge. 2 bartenders and NO support staff, so beer bottles piled up everywhere. But, at least I got to see the game.

Absolutely agree that a sports bar in the area would do well. In fact, I'd like to open one myself. :)

There is (was?) the Heights Sports Lounge on White Oak... I haven't been there since the place became that, though - it may not be a real sports bar.

What did it used to be called before it became the Sports Lounge? I seem to remember it was "Vinoteca" or something similar - a wine bar that occasionally had live music. I only went there once, but it seemed like a nice place and I was sorry to see it close, especially after reading RedScare's comments on the Sports Lounge. Guess that's why I never seem to see many cars parked there now compared to its previous incarnation.

What did it used to be called before it became the Sports Lounge?

Yes, it was Vinoteca. I went there a few times, and it was nice enough. I don't think it would have been able to compete with Max's, Corkscrew, etc. in the area, though. It was a hair stylist's shop before that, I think - though there might have been another bar in there in the interim.

I just got back from a weekender in Calgary and went to a really cool sports bar downtown. They renovated an old historic theatre and turned it into a really amazing place to hang out and watch sports, including a screen almost as large as the original movie screen for watching sports. Not that something on this scale is suitable for the Heights (although it did make me think of the possibilities for the old theater on 19th), but it did make me wonder why a city of just over a million people who only has one sporting team (hockey) can put up something as grand as this whereas Houston, a city of 4 millionish in the metro area with 3 of 4 professional teams doesn't have anything like this.

http://www.flamescentral.com/gallery.php

I just got back from a weekender in Calgary and went to a really cool sports bar downtown. They renovated an old historic theatre and turned it into a really amazing place to hang out and watch sports, including a screen almost as large as the original movie screen for watching sports. Not that something on this scale is suitable for the Heights (although it did make me think of the possibilities for the old theater on 19th), but it did make me wonder why a city of just over a million people who only has one sporting team (hockey) can put up something as grand as this whereas Houston, a city of 4 millionish in the metro area with 3 of 4 professional teams doesn't have anything like this.

http://www.flamescentral.com/gallery.php

Heights is dry so the options for the theatre on 19th are limited. Hope they find a good use for it though, hate seeing it empty.

the project kinda gives me a feeling that it is a "half-assed" effort.

totally agree. the website is terrible and it pretty strongly suggests that the project will be half-assed. such a shame because there are quite a few old boarded up storefronts on 11th that would look great if rennovated.

totally agree. the website is terrible and it pretty strongly suggests that the project will be half-assed. such a shame because there are quite a few old boarded up storefronts on 11th that would look great if rennovated.

If you mean that it is not being built by a huge development company, then you are correct. It is being built by the guy that owns Berryhills next door....half-assed as you may think it to be.

I like it. Its a shame that the neat home housing the real estate agent will be gone, but hopefully they'll move the house instead of tearing it down. I welcome the addition to the neighborhood as well as the new one planned on Studemont and 11 1/2.

Heights is dry so the options for the theatre on 19th are limited. Hope they find a good use for it though, hate seeing it empty.

no, the heights is not dry. berry hill serves alcohol and let's not forget the wonderful gem of the shiloh up on studewood. where the old theater is would be a wet area and a great place for a neighborhood bar.

i always find it funny that houston is so lacking in good sports bars. look at the tavern- it's mediocre at best and it always slammed b/c there are no decent alternatives. i hate to admit this, but the chili's in sawyer heights may end up 1/2 sports bar, 1/2 family restaurant.

no, the heights is not dry. berry hill serves alcohol and let's not forget the wonderful gem of the shiloh up on studewood. where the old theater is would be a wet area and a great place for a neighborhood bar.

Parts of the Heights are dry, including 19th Street between Shepherd and Heights. But there are still plenty of good spots for Red's sports bar.

Not to mention, Shade on 19th st. across from the theater has a full bar.

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever they/you want to call it. I walk in there, order a drink and pay for it...nothing special is asked of me.

True, but the Heights is still dry. Try buying a six pack at the 20th street Krogers. If they were able to sell beer/wine they certainly would be.

True, but the Heights is still dry. Try buying a six pack at the 20th street Krogers. If they were able to sell beer/wine they certainly would be.

Yes, but irrelevant in this case considering there are establishment(s) in heights proper that have opened and currently sell alcoholic beverages to the public.

Is there any reason why another place won't/can't do the same?....I can't think of any. :huh:

Archived