Office Building At 680 E. 11th St.

RedScare

There is a mountain of paperwork involved with obtaining and maintaining a "club license". Most restaurant and bar owners would rather not have to deal with it if possible, especially if they can find a location just outside of the dry area in which to operate. That is why you see bars and restaurants on White Oak, and 11th up to the dry line, and now they are starting to appear on Studewood. Why deal with the paperwork when you can open a block away with a standard liquor license?

In time, I see Shepherd/Durham sprouting some restaurants as well...similar to the section south of Katy Fwy. It is dumpy now, but as the neighborhoods on either side improve, so will that corridor.

I am unaware of any other club licenses in the old Heights other than Shade.

Yes, but irrelevant in this case considering there are establishment(s) in heights proper that have opened and currently sell alcoholic beverages to the public. Is there any reason why another place won't/can't do the same?....I can't think of any. :huh:
Not really. Shade has some way to get around the area being dry. It's just a matter of how Shade accomplishes this and how easy it is to do. I'm assuming it is not to easy since no one besides Shade does it. Having a bar/restaurant type place in the theatre would be nice.
In time, I see Shepherd/Durham sprouting some restaurants as well...similar to the section south of Katy Fwy. It is dumpy now, but as the neighborhoods on either side improve, so will that corridor.
Already a club on Shepherd between 15th and 16th. Been open about a year and seem to be doing well. Wouldn't be suprised to see some more.

can it really be that hard to do the club thing and isn't the profit from alcohol worth it? north of dallas, some of the busiest restaurant rows are dry. you get the club membership at all of them. would a whole area boom like that if it was such a huge challenge?

car lots are dropping like flies all up and down Shepherd/Durham and along Washington. Can't say I am sad to see them go...

can it really be that hard to do the club thing and isn't the profit from alcohol worth it? north of dallas, some of the busiest restaurant rows are dry. you get the club membership at all of them. would a whole area boom like that if it was such a huge challenge?

car lots are dropping like flies all up and down Shepherd/Durham and along Washington. Can't say I am sad to see them go...

They could do something like the 11th street cafe. You buy a carafe of OJ for 10 bucks and get a complementary bottle of champagne. This isn't in the dry area but they still probably don't think it is worth it financially to get a liquor license for the business.

• 2 weeks later...
They could do something like the 11th street cafe. You buy a carafe of OJ for 10 bucks and get a complementary bottle of champagne. This isn't in the dry area but they still probably don't think it is worth it financially to get a liquor license for the business.

well, 11th street doesn't sell the kind of food that inspires people to drop a wad on wine/booze like shade or glasswall. then, shiloh seems to do just fine and their beers are some of the cheapest in the loop...

i just don't think the fact that some parts of the heights require this club thing is deterring restaurants from opening. i think there is still a lot of mixed information out there about what kind of neighborhood this is. i pulled up 77009 on www.zipskinny.com the other days. yeah, this area has changed A LOT since the 2000 cencus. A LOT. not everyone is aware of that.

well, 11th street doesn't sell the kind of food that inspires people to drop a wad on wine/booze like shade or glasswall. then, shiloh seems to do just fine and their beers are some of the cheapest in the loop...

i just don't think the fact that some parts of the heights require this club thing is deterring restaurants from opening. i think there is still a lot of mixed information out there about what kind of neighborhood this is. i pulled up 77009 on www.zipskinny.com the other days. yeah, this area has changed A LOT since the 2000 cencus. A LOT. not everyone is aware of that.

I agree the part of 77009 around Studemont has changed, but remember much of the zip code is on the other side of 45 which is still a mess. I bet the stats seen on the website have only altered slightly. But if you skew the results to 77009 east of I-45 vs west of I-45, then yes, theres a world of difference.

• The title was changed to Office Building On 11th St.
  • The title was changed to Office Building At 680 E. 11th St.

Archived