Metro Solutions: Phase III

Trae

there's a bus from greenspoint to downtown that takes 30 mins

I took that bus on Wednesday. Took about an Hour to get from the airport to downtown. Took about 10-15 minutes to get from the airport to Greenspoint...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sure didn't seem like it, but we sure stopped a lot to pick people up. That bus was packed!

It was around 8 pm on a Wednesday.

must not have been the bus i took cause i went directly from downtown to greenspoint non-stop. its main stops are in downtown and then greenspoint to iah.

there's a bus from greenspoint to downtown that takes 30 mins.
I took that bus on Wednesday. Took about an Hour to get from the airport to downtown. Took about 10-15 minutes to get from the airport to Greenspoint...
you must have been during bad traffic.

It takes well over an hour from downtown to Terminal C.

102 Bush/IAH Schedule

This one went from IAH to Greenspoint stop and go, then throughout Greenspoint it stopped to pick a lot of people up (so many apartments over there, it surprised me - but not much else), and once it got beyond Greenspoint, it eventually got on the highway (45) and went straight into downtown. I would say it was at least 30 minutes before after it left IAH before it got on the highway, maybe more. They called it the "express" 102 I think.

I guess you're right, at least the schedule says its close to 30 minutes between Preson & Milam and Greenspoint Transit Center, but the ride between the airport and the transit center seemed to take forever (and we picked lots of people up), especially considering the fact that Greenspoint and the airport are close.

It takes well over an hour from downtown to Terminal C.

102 Bush/IAH Schedule

Actually, from Travis and Texas to Terminal C is 61 minutes, but your point is made.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a knowledgable time for driving from downtown, parking in the satellite lot, and taking the shuttle to Terminal C? I know that cabbing it from downtown is approximately 30 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic, but for those without the extra $50, what is the real difference?

I know that cabbing it from downtown is approximately 30 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic, but for those without the extra $50, what is the real difference?

Another alternative is taking the shuttle from the Hyatt Regency. It's just as fast as a private cab, and costs about half as much.

This little confusion about which buses to take makes a rail option sound a lot easier.

no rail option goes to IAH anymore. METRO made the riders get on a bus from greenspoint. so you'll end up on the same bus. unless it has changed again.

The 102 is an extremely slow bus that is rarely on time. Once upon a time Metro had direct service to Bush/IAH along short lived route 112 - Bush/IAH Direct but of course, no one rode it and Metro didn't allow it anytime to develop. The former 101 - Airport Express also provided faster service to Bush/IAH but once again, not enough people rode it. At least Metro should offer select trips on the 102 to IAH that bypass Greenspoint. They should also offer those trips on 88 as well to Hobby.

The main problem is that it depends on the freeways that one takes.

if you take I45 on the HOV lane to BW8 it's about 45 minutes.

59 from downtown to william clayton takes about 30. Tack on an extra 20-30 minutes from "final approach" to parking, to the ticket stand, a bit less if you use an e-ticket.

It's too bad the real airport express didn't work out. I would have used it. That 102 bus sure was packed. I am pretty sure I was the only air traveller on it though. At least I was the only one with a suitcase.

It's too bad the real airport express didn't work out. I would have used it. That 102 bus sure was packed. I am pretty sure I was the only air traveller on it though. At least I was the only one with a suitcase.

one thing that probably didn't help was that it was later. i spoke with a lady who uses it for real transportation and she said that depending on what she needs to do she'll either take the express bus or another one that isn't so express. but in the evenings she always takes the express back because it is faster. that may be a reason why the bus you were on was crowded.

METRO is planning to start a bus route between IAH and downtown hotels via US 59 in the next year or so, according to their FY 2008 Business Plan.

"METRO proposes to operate weekday service between George H. W. Bush Airport and several downtown hotels using the Eastex Freeway Corridor (US59). Currently, METRO offers express/local service between the airport and downtown. This limited stop service is targeted at existing customers as well as a new potential market

METRO is planning to start a bus route between IAH and downtown hotels via US 59 in the next year or so, according to their FY 2008 Business Plan.

"METRO proposes to operate weekday service between George H. W. Bush Airport and several downtown hotels using the Eastex Freeway Corridor (US59). Currently, METRO offers express/local service between the airport and downtown. This limited stop service is targeted at existing customers as well as a new potential market

Business travellers also have someone else footing the bill, making it far easier to take the expensive, but more convenient form of trasportation. Business travellers are not the market that needs to be served...they take care of themselves. It is the locals, and perhaps the occasional non-business traveller.

Count me in as a witness to the 102 taking forever and a day. You feel like you're making good time, but then you have to go through the CityView nation at Greenspoint, then head to the airport. I've taken the 102 several times, including inbound from IAH around 10:30 AM and outbound to IAH at 5:00 AM. It still took around an hour both times. However, Musicman is correct in that the time to Greenspoint is fast. It's the getting THROUGH Greenspoint that can feel inconvenient. That trip starts to feel even longer when it's not the commuter bus being used (I've made that trip before, too).

• 9 months later...

Is the land due north of UHDT, that has recently been scraped, for the Metro Intermodal. By my best estimate is that it's about 100 acres. It's north of I-10 and between I-45 and US-59. Actually, it's in the vicinity of where St. Arnold's is to relocate.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sorry, but few airports in the WORLD offer an express train JUST to the airport. The few that do offer an express is because their airports are on an Island or in such a remote part of the city that nothing else exists.

Just did a short inventory of places that came to mind:

London (3! Gatwick Express, Heathrow Express, Stansted Express)

Vienna (Airport to City Centre express)

Tokyo (Tokyo Central to Narita Express)

Hong Kong (Airport Express from the island though it does 2 stops along the way).

Archived