Convent Of The Incarnate Word At 4650 Bissonnet St.

azchows

Is there anyone except for me that went to the Incarnate Word Convent, located on Bissonet in Bellaire?

It was a Catholic boarding school for girls during the 40's. It housed 50 girls from the 1st to the 8th grade. The Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament was the order of nuns that taught there.

Just hoping someone else who went to the school will read this and respond.

azchows

• Like 1

My mother attended Kindergarten there, I believe, before she went to St. Vincent's. That would have been about '40 or '41. I know that my uncles would serve as alter boys for some of the Masses for the Sisters.

I had the opportunity to attend Midnight Mass there in about '80 or so, before the convent moved to Bradford St. I thought that chapel was one of the prettiest in the city.

My mother attended Kindergarten there, I believe, before she went to St. Vincent's. That would have been about '40 or '41. I know that my uncles would serve as alter boys for some of the Masses for the Sisters.

I had the opportunity to attend Midnight Mass there in about '80 or so, before the convent moved to Bradford St. I thought that chapel was one of the prettiest in the city.

On Cheech & Chong's "Los Cochinos" album on the "Sergeant Stadanko" track, he was speaking at "Our Lady of 114th Street School."

My big sis attended the one next to Annunciation Church on Texas Ave in the early 50's. The new building on the grounds has pretty much covered all or most of the property.

The Incarnate Word Academy on Texas Ave and Jackson St.. is run by the Incarnate Word Sisters. The convent and noviate on Bissonett in Bellaire was built in 1931 on property acquired in 1924. This was the home for the nuns and novices of the order. A boarding and day school was openned in 1932, but the academy dowtown was the sisters only high school in Houston until 1955. That is the year they openned Marian High School, a co-ed campus, on the back side of the convent property facing Gulfton St. (now Fournace Pl.). The Incarnate Word sisters continued to operate both high schools until the late 70's when they decided to close Marian High School and sell the Bellaire property. Marian High was then operated for several years as Marian Christian by the Christian brothers from St. Albert's parish on W. Bellfort. It was no more successful that the Incarnate Word attempt, so it too was closed by the mid 80's.

The Incarnate Word sisters used the funds from the sale of the Bissonett property to undertake major renovations to Incarnate Word Academy downtown. These overdue upgrades would have never happened without these proceeds. It was not until the early 90's that the Episcopal Church acquired the property from the original purchasers. Apparently the city of Bellaire had changed it's mind by then about allowing more high rise deveoplment along the West Loop.

I attended Marian High School in 1970-71. The high school students used the convent cafeteria, swimming pool, chapel and sometimes the convent library. but the convent itself was off limits to students. The boarding and day school was no longer operating by then. The chapel was indeed unique. It had seating that faced the center, similar to an old english abbey. I'm sure the current Episcopal's appreceite this.

The Incarnate Word Academy students would come out to our campus to use the Marian High School auditorium for their school events. These girls wore different colored plaid unifroms than our girls did, so us guys immediatley new when they were on campus. Most of the IWA girls were bow-wows anyway, so we were very cruel to them as I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
The Incarnate Word Academy on Texas Ave and Jackson St.. is run by the Incarnate Word Sisters. The convent and noviate on Bissonett in Bellaire was built in 1931 on property acquired in 1924. This was the home for the nuns and novices of the order. A boarding and day school was openned in 1932, but the academy dowtown was the sisters only high school in Houston until 1955. That is the year they openned Marian High School, a co-ed campus, on the back side of the convent property facing Gulfton St. (now Fournace Pl.). The Incarnate Word sisters continued to operate both high schools until the late 70's when they decided to close Marian High School and sell the Bellaire property. Marian High was then operated for several years as Marian Christian by the Christian brothers from St. Albert's parish on W. Bellfort. It was no more successful that the Incarnate Word attempt, so it too was closed by the mid 80's.

The Incarnate Word sisters used the funds from the sale of the Bissonett property to undertake major renovations to Incarnate Word Academy downtown. These overdue upgrades would have never happened without these proceeds. It was not until the early 90's that the Episcopal Church acquired the property from the original purchasers. Apparently the city of Bellaire had changed it's mind by then about allowing more high rise deveoplment along the West Loop.

I attended Marian High School in 1970-71. The high school students used the convent cafeteria, swimming pool, chapel and sometimes the convent library. but the convent itself was off limits to students. The boarding and day school was no longer operating by then. The chapel was indeed unique. It had seating that faced the center, similar to an old english abbey. I'm sure the current Episcopal's appreceite this.

The Incarnate Word Academy students would come out to our campus to use the Marian High School auditorium for their school events. These girls wore different colored plaid unifroms than our girls did, so us guys immediatley new when they were on campus. Most of the IWA girls were bow-wows anyway, so we were very cruel to them as I remember.

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry re Incarnate Word Convent. I attended the Incarnate Word Convent Boarding School from the first grade until the fifth grade from 1939 until 1942 or 1943. Later, I attended Incarnate Word Academy in about 1950 for three years. I am especially interested in learning whether or not Sister Agustine or Sister Camillus are still living. If they are, they would be very old. Again, Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Patricia

My mother attended Kindergarten there, I believe, before she went to St. Vincent's. That would have been about '40 or '41. I know that my uncles would serve as alter boys for some of the Masses for the Sisters. I had the opportunity to attend Midnight Mass there in about '80 or so, before the convent moved to Bradford St. I thought that chapel was one of the prettiest in the city.

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry re Incarnate Word Convent. I attended the Incarnate Word Convent Boarding School from the first grade until the fifth grade from 1939 until 1942 or 1943. Later, I attended Incarnate Word Academy in about 1950 for three years. I am especially interested in learning whether or not Sister Agustine or Sister Camillus are still living. If they are, they would be very old. Again, Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Patricia

I'm not familiar with either Sister Agustine or Sister Camillus, but Sister Mary Anne Holoman at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Hitchcock was at Incarnate Word Convent for a long time. She is of the age that may remember these two. Her current role is visiting the elderly around Galveston County. She may know the status of these two individuals. If I see her tomorrow at church I'll ask her.

• 1 month later...
I'm not familiar with either Sister Agustine or Sister Camillus, but Sister Mary Anne Holoman at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Hitchcock was at Incarnate Word Convent for a long time. She is of the age that may remember these two. Her current role is visiting the elderly around Galveston County. She may know the status of these two individuals. If I see her tomorrow at church I'll ask her.

Thanks for your offer to ask Sister Mary Anne Holoman about Sister Agustine and Sister Camillus. Did you visit with her on November 11?

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your offer to ask Sister Mary Anne Holoman about Sister Agustine and Sister Camillus. Did you visit with her on November 11?

Thanks again.

I haven't forgotten about you PBAYS, but I just haven't seen Sister Mary Ann lately. My son says she is still around but I haven't crossed paths with her.

• 1 month later...

Annunciation Church on Texas (next door to Incarnate Word Academy) had a small 2 story brick school building right in back. I think it had a balcony and iron gothic railing. It stood next to the circular fountain. I heard it became too old and dangerous so it had to be torn down. I recall they let you use the RR after/before mass. The stalls were so puney well for a kid. It has been about 10 years now since it was demolished. What a pity. Anybody else remember seeing it? Looked like made in 1910-20's? I would kill for photos of the class in session or kids at play during that era.

• Like 1

I went to high school at Episcopal High School, which is what is now there. Supposedly the convent is haunted. They say that a nun hung herself on the 4th floor, (which is no longer used for some reason).

They are planning to totaly gut that building and redo it

I went to high school at Episcopal High School, which is what is now there. Supposedly the convent is haunted. They say that a nun hung herself on the 4th floor, (which is no longer used for some reason).

They are planning to totaly gut that building and redo it

LOL. I have been up to that 4th floor a lot but never saw a ghost. It is kind of creepy though. Last time I was up there they were just using it for storage. It was even creepier when the nuns were there. I could never get over how small the rooms were where the nuns lived.

Edited by LunaticFringe

That property -convent and school is worth a fortune. I don't know what type of zoning the city of Bellaire has for that piece of land.

During Hurrican Carla many families in the area were told that they could use the convent for shelter. Our family lived just north (accross Gulfton/Fournace) of the convent and Marian/Episcopal HS. On the East side of the campus/convent the nun's had a swimming pool for their use. They did have a white wall partially around the area for privacy. However, some of the neighborhood kids would try and sneak looks though the fence or sneak up to the pool. Of course I never tried this being the good Catholic youth that I was !!

I have fond memories of the area and my siblings went to Marian in the 60s and early 70s while I went to a rival school. Their Mayfete celebrations were a happening deal and their auditorium was state of the art for its time for plays and concerts. I never went into the convent however. We could hop the fence and watch football games and I was even a batboy for the Marian baseball team while in elementary school.

I went to St Thomas from 60-64 and I remember Incarnate Word and Marion-we played football against the latter-but it seems we had a closer relationship with the girls from St Agnes, which was located downtown.

They still wear these type of uniforms. Not sure how many were superstars though. :blush:

0,,5684888,00.jpg

• 9 years later...
On 3/5/2008 at 9:27 AM, readam said:

That property -convent and school is worth a fortune. I don't know what type of zoning the city of Bellaire has for that piece of land.

During Hurrican Carla many families in the area were told that they could use the convent for shelter. Our family lived just north (accross Gulfton/Fournace) of the convent and Marian/Episcopal HS. On the East side of the campus/convent the nun's had a swimming pool for their use. They did have a white wall partially around the area for privacy. However, some of the neighborhood kids would try and sneak looks though the fence or sneak up to the pool. Of course I never tried this being the good Catholic youth that I was !!

I have fond memories of the area and my siblings went to Marian in the 60s and early 70s while I went to a rival school. Their Mayfete celebrations were a happening deal and their auditorium was state of the art for its time for plays and concerts. I never went into the convent however. We could hop the fence and watch football games and I was even a batboy for the Marian baseball team while in elementary school.

Do you think you could draw up a blueprint sketch of where the pool was? I go to Episcopal High School now and I'm just curious as to where it was because I've heard talk about how there used to be a pool but I'm pretty sure they filled it to make it a tennis court (which was then used as parking, and now it's the "new Alkek" gym). 

22 hours ago, samithesloth said:

Do you think you could draw up a blueprint sketch of where the pool was? I go to Episcopal High School now and I'm just curious as to where it was because I've heard talk about how there used to be a pool but I'm pretty sure they filled it to make it a tennis court (which was then used as parking, and now it's the "new Alkek" gym). 

From the Google Earth aerials in 1953, there something that looks like a pool close to Ave B just North of where Wedgewood intersects. It's still there in 1978, but gone in 1989. That would put it under the SE corner of the track, or near there. None of the other things on the images look like a pool.

That's exactly were it was, up against Ave B. There was a long hedge lined walkway from the convent over to it. We had a class function/party there in 1970 when I was a sophomore. No one went swimming though. I think it was too cold that day. It was strictly part of the convent, not the school. Students had to have a reason to even be on that part of the property. It was a typical 60's outdoor gunite pool, with pee gravel surrounding it. Not that big either, from what I remember. There was a diving board and a life guard stand believe it or not. I guess Sister Mary Somebody would be on duty if students went swimming.

Can't believe I remember all that. 

Edit: Map of City of Bellaire Sec. 1 Westmoreland Farms, Harris County, Texas.

May 1, 1949

FLYrm80.png

x8SIftm.png

• The title was changed to Convent Of The Incarnate Word At 4650 Bissonnet St.