Shakespeare: Multifamily At 2524 Shakespeare St.

Jax

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.as...EW&ID=10132

I believe construction has either started or will be starting very soon. I heard bad things about the other graduate apartments in the village, so this is good news. I wonder if this will be for students only (like the grad apartments on Bissonnet), or if they will allow families and married students too.

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.as...EW&ID=10132

I believe construction has either started or will be starting very soon. I heard bad things about the other graduate apartments in the village, so this is good news. I wonder if this will be for students only (like the grad apartments on Bissonnet), or if they will allow families and married students too.

I seriously doubt they would let familes or kids on there, it would be too distracting to the other students on there unless they were heavily segregaded and I doubt that will happen.

I mean grad students who have spouses and kids, not just any families. Student families. Rice doesn't allow that in the grad apartments on Bissonnet (it's more traditional college residence style), but they did in the old Rice Village apartments (more apartment style). I think these ones are taking the place of the old apartments so I hope they continue allowing families. Because there area a lot of married grad students, and some even have kids!

I guess Rice saves all of the good architecture for campus. I won't be living there anyways. It's usually a better deal (money wise) for a student to live off campus. But there are a lot of international students who can't find an apartment before moving to Houston and end up living in Rice student housing.

• 5 months later...
I mean grad students who have spouses and kids, not just any families. Student families. Rice doesn't allow that in the grad apartments on Bissonnet (it's more traditional college residence style), but they did in the old Rice Village apartments (more apartment style). I think these ones are taking the place of the old apartments so I hope they continue allowing families. Because there area a lot of married grad students, and some even have kids!

I guess Rice saves all of the good architecture for campus. I won't be living there anyways. It's usually a better deal (money wise) for a student to live off campus. But there are a lot of international students who can't find an apartment before moving to Houston and end up living in Rice student housing.

Where do Rice students rent houses? Anything around the campus would be pretty pricey I would think.

Where do Rice students rent houses? Anything around the campus would be pretty pricey I would think.

I know people renting apartments in the museum district on one side of campus as well as on the opposite side across from the Medical Center (Maroneal, Brompton Court, Greenbriar Apartments, etc). I also know people who live in Montrose. My first apartment as a Rice student was a 2 floor garage apartment in Southampton for $600/month (less than the graduate apartments charges).

I would say in general its easy to find an apartment for $500-700 alone or maybe a bit less if you share with a few people. I live with somebody and my share of the rent is $500, and my apartment is pretty nice. I don't know anybody who pays less than $500. Do you consider that expensive? When I factor in the gas I would need to buy if I commuted every day, I figure that would add at least $100 on top of any cheaper apartment, plus I wouldn't enjoy it as much (I absolutely love my neighborhood).

I know people renting apartments in the museum district on one side of campus as well as on the opposite side across from the Medical Center (Maroneal, Brompton Court, Greenbriar Apartments, etc). I also know people who live in Montrose. My first apartment as a Rice student was a 2 floor garage apartment in Southampton for $600/month (less than the graduate apartments charges).

I would say in general its easy to find an apartment for $500-700 alone or maybe a bit less if you share with a few people. I live with somebody and my share of the rent is $500, and my apartment is pretty nice. I don't know anybody who pays less than $500. Do you consider that expensive? When I factor in the gas I would need to buy if I commuted every day, I figure that would add at least $100 on top of any cheaper apartment, plus I wouldn't enjoy it as much (I absolutely love my neighborhood).

Well I'm thinking more of college houses with 4+ people. I always lived with 3 other guys in a house right by my school's campus, which was in a nice neighborhood, but we were still able to find the more rundown parts of the neighborhood to find cheap rental housing. I live in the Med Center now and spend a lot of time around the Rice campus, and I have no idea where Rice students could live like this.

So are they razing the whole north side of the block for these? I used to live in the little apts at the corner of Kirby and Shakespeare when I moved here first. Talk about location. The rent was $425 a month!! Them were the days.....

Parenthetically I believe this is where a developer was going to put a huge gazillion storey building a few years back that the local residents were successful in shouting down. Now where I have heard about something similar recently...it'll come to me.....

I also was not talking about subsidized housing, just regular apartments. And there are some decent apartments in the $500 range, not necessarily run down (especially garage apartments). Rice doesn't offer any subsidized housing, and the student housing generally costs more than the outside apartments so its more for international students who aren't able to shop around for a good apartment nearby and want to do what is easiest and safest. It's also generally only available for 1st year grad students.

I just learned something kind of shocking about this project. It has no parking - at all. Not even for the residents. I seem to remember that they were talking about building a garage, and then there were some issues because they wanted to make the garage pretty small, smaller than the city said they were supposed to, and the neighbors were upset because they thought that would lead to people parking on the streets. I guess Rice was forced to either build a bigger garage (which would most likely have made the neighbors even more upset) or just abandon parking all together.

It might end up working out since most of the people who live in the grad apartments are first year international students, who almost never have cars, and it is pretty close to campus, but it still seems like a strange decision.

That is kinda weird. It sounds to me like 1st year grad students with cars (mostly Americans) are going to go to the other Rice Graduate Apartments if they want to live in Rice housing (there are surprisingly some who do), meaning it will be really hard to get into that place. And yeah, like you said the new apartments in the village will most likely be more popular with international students, but even most international students like the option of being able to get a car in the future if they decide they need one. I actually know a bunch of international students who live in the village area and don't have cars, now that I think of it. It's not a terrible place to be without a car. At least you could walk to restaurants. And there will most likely be a shuttle bus to Rice, the TMC, and a grocery store. But that doesn't really make up for the lack of paring.

It sounds like maybe Rice's idea was to build a garage with parking for half of the students or something. That would probably make sense with the high proportion of international students in Rice housing - the lot at the Bissonnet building is never full. But why would the city not let them do that? Why would the city/residents be happier with no parking?

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Shakespeare Apartments In West University
  • The title was changed to Shakespeare: Multifamily At 2524 Shakespeare St.

Archived