Traffic congestion increases in most metro areas

musicman

The latest Urban Mobility Report by the Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M University says Houston drivers averaged 56 hours of delay due to freeway traffic jams in 2005, seventh highest in the nation. In 2004, Houston's delay lasted 51 hours, ranking eighth.

Topping the list was Los Angeles, where delays averaged 72 hours a year, followed by San Francisco, Washington and Atlanta, all at 60 hours, then Dallas-Fort Worth (58 hours) and San Diego (57).

Mayor Bill White found bright spots in the study. He noted that Houston ranked fourth in the effectiveness of improvements to get more out of its road capacity, such as ramp metering to control freeway access and incident management to get stalls and wrecks cleared rapidly.

White also noted that although the number of miles traveled on freeways and arterial streets have both doubled here since 1985, the area's "travel time index"

Edited by musicman

We were 26th in '95? That's surprising. But I haven't been a consistent driver in the area for about six years either. Guess I'm about to find out soon though.

wasnt that on the news today.....but i agree traffic is bad. it took me almost 2 hours to get to downtown on 290 one morning..i was almost late for my surgery..

We were 26th in '95? That's surprising. But I haven't been a consistent driver in the area for about six years either. Guess I'm about to find out soon though.
well...in the 70's when were way worse, the city/state expanded many freeways to alleviate the system as a whole. then the toll road authority came into place and did hardy and then beltway 8, which helped tremendously. it was a boon connecting the se to the sw side. before we only had roads like 518 and almeda genoa. on the west side i used to take gessner for a north/south route.
"In some sense, we're victims of prosperity."
i'd have to agree. the amouth of growth that houston has experienced in even the last 10 yrs is amazing. the burbs have ballooned resulting in many more people on 290/10/45/59/etc.

well...in the 70's when were way worse, the city/state expanded many freeways to alleviate the system as a whole. then the toll road authority came into place and did hardy and then beltway 8, which helped tremendously. it was a boon connecting the se to the sw side. before we only had roads like 518 and almeda genoa. on the west side i used to take gessner for a north/south route.i'd have to agree. the amouth of growth that houston has experienced in even the last 10 yrs is amazing. the burbs have ballooned resulting in many more people on 290/10/45/59/etc.

look at the woodlands and tomball. especially sugarland..

i saw a little blip about it on NBC nightly news - there was a clip with Tom Lomax from the Texas Transportation Institute, and he said, "In some sense, we're victims of prosperity."

I took a class with Tim at A&M. Good guy who knows his stuff.

After moving back home to The Woodlands, Hubby's commute had gone from a accident free 90 minutes each way to 5 minutes door to door. It was only 45 minutes in 2004.He says the five minutes make a whole hell of a lot more sense, and it was worth it to pay more for an older house in Houston just to get his life back.

Edited by KatieDidIt

In talking with folks, it appears that a majority of people in The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugarland would never take public transportation, even if an express regional rail system were in place. I wonder how bad the freeway would have to get before they would consider taking public transportation. Right now it would seem a majority are adamantly against it and will only drive.

It's no wonder, when your read about rapes, guns, and knives on METRO busses. Our city will have to take a zero-tolerance policy like Manhattan with lights, cameras, and police everywhere.

In talking with folks, it appears that a majority of people in The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugarland would never take public transportation, even if an express regional rail system were in place. I wonder how bad the freeway would have to get before they would consider taking public transportation. Right now it would seem a majority are adamantly against it and will only drive.

It's no wonder, when your read about rapes, guns, and knives on METRO busses. Our city will have to take a zero-tolerance policy like Manhattan with lights, cameras, and police everywhere.

i don't think you should limit it to the burbs. there are many inner loopers than feel the same way. at least the ones who have an alternative.

Edited by musicman

i don't think you should limit it to the burbs. there are many inner loopers than feel the same way. at least the ones who have an alternative.

You're saying a majority of innerloopers don't want mass transit? Is it fitting then to wait for the streets and freeways to become so congested that the majority cry out for an alternative?

You're saying a majority of innerloopers don't want mass transit? Is it fitting then to wait for the streets and freeways to become so congested that the majority cry out for an alternative?

no i said many inner loopers who have alternative would never take public transportation. time is too valuable for many. when i take public transportation, i'm usually not in a time crunch. a few weeks ago i had to go to my dentist who is on main ( near dryden in TMC). it took me 20 mins (from my house to park garage) and 5 mins to get to his office. during the work week, for me it is just too time consuming to use public transportation to run an errand such as this.

It's pretty silly to claim that many people don't want better public transportation options when the results from nearly every election in which people are given a choice those people tend to VOTE FOR increased public transportation (whether it be rail, park and rides, transit centers, HOV lanes, etc...).

Kinkaid, look at the way he couches the statement. It is only his opinion...not fact...but more importantly, by saying "many inner loopers", he leaves the obvious out that many OTHER inner loopers place other variables like saving money or not sitting in traffic over the alleged time savings. There are also varying degrees of time savings, meaning some trips would be OK on public transit, while others would not.

The fact is that transit planners would never have a criteria that public transit must save ALL commuters time on EVERY trip. So, the fact that musicman says many inner loopers would not take public transit means nothing. Many New Yorkers never take transit either, but you don't hear anyone advocating ripping up the subways. The fact remains that 41,000 trips are made on the Red Line every day, and an additional 34,000 trips are made on the Park & Rides. That is the equivalent of 142 miles of cars taken off the road. Clearly, SOMEONE thinks that public transit is worth riding.

no i said many inner loopers who have alternative would never take public transportation. time is too valuable for many. when i take public transportation, i'm usually not in a time crunch. a few weeks ago i had to go to my dentist who is on main ( near dryden in TMC). it took me 20 mins (from my house to park garage) and 5 mins to get to his office. during the work week, for me it is just too time consuming to use public transportation to run an errand such as this.

The medical center is the worst place for public transportation.. I work there and i dread going to the hospital b/c of the traffic. But the parking for employees is very expensive that public transportation IS the only way to go.

Kinkaid, look at the way he couches the statement. It is only his opinion...not fact...but more importantly, by saying "many inner loopers", he leaves the obvious out that many OTHER inner loopers place other variables like saving money or not sitting in traffic over the alleged time savings. There are also varying degrees of time savings, meaning some trips would be OK on public transit, while others would not.

i agree there are many variables but i'll stand by the statement. the general mindset is to stay away from public transit if you have other means. going to work downtown is one thing, but taking it to the store (or other errands) is another for people like me and you.

The fact is that transit planners would never have a criteria that public transit must save ALL commuters time on EVERY trip. So, the fact that musicman says many inner loopers would not take public transit means nothing. Many New Yorkers never take transit either, but you don't hear anyone advocating ripping up the subways. The fact remains that 41,000 trips are made on the Red Line every day, and an additional 34,000 trips are made on the Park & Rides. That is the equivalent of 142 miles of cars taken off the road. Clearly, SOMEONE thinks that public transit is worth riding.

i never said public transit isn't worth riding, particularly if it is designed properly. there are good and bad aspects of our current setup. i never said we should rip up the red line either. I can agree that "SOMEONE thinks that public transit is worth riding" you leave the obvious out that many don't think it is worth riding. in 2005, in houston 5.1% of workers used public transportation for work purposes.