Cedar Creek Bar & Grill At 1034 W. 20th St.

Moose

There have been some rumors swirling around that Onion Creek was going to open a new location around the Shady Tavern. This weekend it was confirmed that it will be called Cedar Creek and will be located at 20th and Beale in the old M&M Automotive repair shop. They are working on the building today and have already started building a deck in the back.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I live on Beall about 2 blocks south of there, I'm hoping for more of a Dry Creek theme than an Onion Creek one. Either way though, it could be a very positive catalyst for more commercial development in our neighborhood. I knew this was in the works, but I'm very glad it's actually beginning to happen.

• 4 months later...

My "source" tells me that Cedar Creek plans to open this spring, and from the looks of it they are on track with construction. I've been told it will be a cross between Dry Creek and Onion Creek, but the rest is still a mystery. I can't wait. This place is going to be great for the neighborhood (and maybe the trailer park across from it will be transformed eventually too).

All I want to know: How do I get invited to the grand opening? I'm definitely going to be a regular there.

I emailed the owners and they only additional thing they told me was that it would have a salsa theme... interpret that however you will. Not too long ago that trailer park was listed for sale, not sure if it still is or not but it's a pretty large chuck of land.

Is this the place that a bunch of SA residents tried to stop? I believe in the end they couldn't stop it, but were able to prevent them from getting a liquo license. I wonder if this is the same deal???

That happened before I moved to the neighborhood, but my realtor mentioned it when we were looking at the area and I was under the impression that it was something different; however I could be wrong. She made it sound like it was more of a bar than restaurant/bar but I didn't ask too many questions at the time.

OK, it's not Cedar Creek that was boycotted. It's a place called La Hacienda and it's at 26th and Couch.

A friend of mine lived right by there. She now lives in Katy, so I guess that explains why they wanted to boycott a new Mexican restaurant. I would think that people in SA would embrace new businesses, but not if they want it to look more like the burbs.

OK, it's not Cedar Creek that was boycotted. It's a place called La Hacienda and it's at 26th and Couch.

I think the biggest reason La Hacienda was boycotted is because it is actually right in the middle of residential homes. Hopes were that if they couldn't get a liquor license they would move elsewhere, but they decided to build anyway. Do we really need more Tex-Mex in the area?

Cedar Creek is on 20th, which is out of the way of most homes and is more of a thoroughfare. I would love to see new restaurant/retail development on 20th... perfect walking distance for much of SA and great for the neighborhood! Let's hope they set a trend of positive development in the area.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine lived right by there. She now lives in Katy, so I guess that explains why they wanted to boycott a new Mexican restaurant. I would think that people in SA would embrace new businesses, but not if they want it to look more like the burbs.

Is La Hacienda actually open? I live on 24th and have only seen a rundown sign at the location you're referencing.

• 2 months later...
Has this opened yet, and if so has anyone been there?

Not yet. I drove by Saturday after another frustrating trip to the TW House Postal Station (I intend to post rant soon). They look really close. However, it's looked pretty close for some time. I'm checking on it from time-to-time as I commute home through Shady Acres.

Pretty cool layout. I like the way the put the parking lot in the back and have the walking path wind around to the front.

Rode by today on the bike - it does look really close. I peeked inside and there is still some key work needed, like finishing the bar and trim. I think it'll be a cool place, I hope they finish it up soon.

Just curious, why does that appeal?

I think it's nicer to see people walking and sitting on sidewalks in front of buildings as opposed to just a big parking lot for curb appeal. It gives it more of a neighborhood feel since this place is in a relatively dense, or densifying, neighborhood after all. In a suburban strip mall the sea of parking is one thing (and makes sense), but within neighborhoods inside the loop I just personally prefer rear and street parking, especially since I live in the neighborhood and would like it to look nice and help create community (my opinion of nice of course). Fortunately Cedar Creek will be within walking distance of quite a number of us. I guess that's just what I'm accustomed to from living in other cities as well. To each their own, and a nice thing about Houston is one can definitely have their pick of the type of neighborhood they want to live in.

I think it's nicer to see people walking and sitting on sidewalks in front of buildings as opposed to just a big parking lot for curb appeal.

Yes. It also makes the creek and green space on the west side of the creek more prominent. I would not be surprised, however, if that little green space serves (in part, at least) as overflow parking at busy times.

I think it's nicer to see people walking and sitting on sidewalks in front of buildings as opposed to just a big parking lot for curb appeal. It gives it more of a neighborhood feel since this place is in a relatively dense, or densifying, neighborhood after all. In a suburban strip mall the sea of parking is one thing (and makes sense), but within neighborhoods inside the loop I just personally prefer rear and street parking, especially since I live in the neighborhood and would like it to look nice and help create community (my opinion of nice of course). Fortunately Cedar Creek will be within walking distance of quite a number of us. I guess that's just what I'm accustomed to from living in other cities as well. To each their own, and a nice thing about Houston is one can definitely have their pick of the type of neighborhood they want to live in.

Makes sense and I agree. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. It also makes the creek and green space on the west side of the creek more prominent. I would not be surprised, however, if that little green space serves (in part, at least) as overflow parking at busy times.

I noticed that the nice lot directly behind Cedar Creek has been cleared of debris and there are some "no parking / tow away" signs at the lot that say "Cedar Creek" on them. Does anyone know if Cedar Creek actually owns this lot too? If so, I wonder what they plan to do with it... I'm hoping it won't be a parking lot since they've already built one. Maybe a nice outdoor space for something else?

I noticed that the nice lot directly behind Cedar Creek has been cleared of debris and there are some "no parking / tow away" signs at the lot that say "Cedar Creek" on them. Does anyone know if Cedar Creek actually owns this lot too? If so, I wonder what they plan to do with it... I'm hoping it won't be a parking lot since they've already built one. Maybe a nice outdoor space for something else?

As I understand it, he does own that lot. I've heard that his original plan was to make that the parking lot and then build a bridge over the creek. The City, however, had other ideas since the creek could flood. They wanted him to build the bridge so tall that it would be too steep to be practical. The lot that is already paved his answer to the City's concerns, but it doesn't really answer your question.

There is alot of hearsay in there, so take it with a grain of salt.

drove by yest. not many workers, just a couple out sanding some table in front. doesnt look too far off though. tons of clear space just South of it til 19th.

also just kind of crazy they would three similar establishments within a few blocks of each other. they must really love the heights. the names are gonna get confusing...

• 1 month later...

Rode by yesterday, looks about the same as last month. They definitely aren't in a hurry to put the finishing touches on, anyone know the holdup? Makes me think it's the same guy who took 5 months to not finish my parents' kitchen.

Rode by yesterday, looks about the same as last month. They definitely aren't in a hurry to put the finishing touches on, anyone know the holdup? Makes me think it's the same guy who took 5 months to not finish my parents' kitchen.

The word is that it has something to do with the City, permits, the ditch, flooding and run-offs. It seems he needs that cleared lot at the corner of 19th and Beall for parking, but there is a concern about how that would increase run-off into the creek.

Archived