Cedar Creek Bar & Grill At 1034 W. 20th St.

Moose

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are now advertising open positions, so hopefully it won't be long. I've glanced inside and there is a long bar and a lot of seating area... can't tell if it is going to be more of a bar or more of a restaurant but they seem to be hiring all types. It appears there will be early morning coffee and a good wine selection at night. The waitstaff with "flair" worries me a little ;)

The ad is Here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They arent open until thursday. I got so excited when I read they were open I called up there to see if they were doing brunch. DAMNIT! Not open until thursday, and will only be open as a bar for the first couple weeks, then slowly get in to breakfast, coffee etc. I may just go this thursday to check the place out. Went to the biscuit instead.

I don't want to sound like a prude. lol

I was hoping that Cedar Creek would keep the Dry Creek/Onion Creek character. I don't really want a full hard liquor bar two blocks from my home. It seems as if W 19 and W 20 might turn into the new Washington corridor. With Cedar, there will be now 5 bars from Sheperd to E TC Jester.

Hopefully my concerns will be unfounded.

I don't want to sound like a prude. lol

I was hoping that Cedar Creek would keep the Dry Creek/Onion Creek character. I don't really want a full hard liquor bar two blocks from my home. It seems as if W 19 and W 20 might turn into the new Washington corridor. With Cedar, there will be now 5 bars from Sheperd to E TC Jester.

Hopefully my concerns will be unfounded.

why in the world would the owners build the exact same concept as onion creek just a few blocks away from the original? each "creek" establishment serves a different crowd. seems reasonable enough to me.

Has anyone been yet? I'm looking forward to hearing what it's like.

They did a heck of a job with the build out. I stopped by on Saturday to check it out and came away impressed with the atmosphere. They are still in "soft opening" status, so the menu is limited and they don't have coffee service up and running yet. Right now the menu is burgers, quesadillas and fried appetizer type items. They are serving beer, wine and liquor.

I went to the O.C. a week or so ago for a kolache and coffee and learned that they won't have kolaches until Cedar Creek is up and running at full capacity. Apparently they used to buy from a local vendor and now they are going to bake their own.

The bar is much bigger than Onion Creeks and they have waitresses. The tables and chairs inside are more cigar bar and less coffee house, many of the chairs are leather with the large brass wheels. He has also installed flat panel TV's behind the bar and there are approximately a dozen TV boxes around the outdoor patio.

Overall, it has a ton of potential. It is larger than I anticipated, both inside and out. My one concern is the weakness I've seen at his other two "creeks"...service, service, service. Nonetheless, the wife and I are ready for them to be open for breakfast on the weekend.

I went by not too long ago, and I agree with Moose - nice buildout. The other good thing is the layout of the property. Plenty of outdoor space for patios and parking, lots of trees, and an actual creek crossing the property. This has the potential to be among the best outdoor bars inside the loop. Great addition to the hood.

Editorial:

I know the OC, DC and CC owners are going for that Austin feel, and I think they've done well -- except for the Austin-related wooden signs. Really? It is obvious that they have put alot of work into creating a good vibe at these places, and then strangely, they put up these cheesy wooden signs that suck the vibe right out. Very theme-parkish, but minor complaint overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Cedar Creek for dinner tonight. The menu was relatively short - I'd say about the length of the menu at Rudyard's. There were a few choices of burgers, a veggie burger, wings, a few types of quesadillas, a few salads, a pulled pork sandwich, some appetizers (fried pickles, fried jalapenos, fried mushrooms, chips and queso)... and I'm sure a few other things I'm forgetting. The food we got was ok - not as interesting or tasty as at Onion Creek and Dry Creek, but not bad. I'd recommend the fried pickles. The prices seemed a little high to us for the place/food - the pickles were around $7, and the sandwiches/burgers (which came with fries or onion rings) were around $10 - but not so high as to be outrageous. And it all came out pretty fast even though the restaurant was on the full side for a Monday night.

The restaurant, bar, and grounds all look nice, though they don't (yet) have as much personality as Onion Creek or Dry Creek. Too new, I think. Others gave good descriptions in prior posts. Based on what Moose said, the current menu may be just a preliminary menu. It will be interesting to see how the place develops.

Went to Cedar Creek for dinner tonight. The menu was relatively short - I'd say about the length of the menu at Rudyard's. There were a few choices of burgers, a veggie burger, wings, a few types of quesadillas, a few salads, a pulled pork sandwich, some appetizers (fried pickles, fried jalapenos, fried mushrooms, chips and queso)... and I'm sure a few other things I'm forgetting. The food we got was ok - not as interesting or tasty as at Onion Creek and Dry Creek, but not bad. I'd recommend the fried pickles. The prices seemed a little high to us for the place/food - the pickles were around $7, and the sandwiches/burgers (which came with fries or onion rings) were around $10 - but not so high as to be outrageous. And it all came out pretty fast even though the restaurant was on the full side for a Monday night.

The restaurant, bar, and grounds all look nice, though they don't (yet) have as much personality as Onion Creek or Dry Creek. Too new, I think. Others gave good descriptions in prior posts. Based on what Moose said, the current menu may be just a preliminary menu. It will be interesting to see how the place develops.

What about drink prices? Happy hour type specials? A steak night or any other types of weeknight draws? I was worried that the prices would be similar to Dry Creek, but I guess it's not surprising. I'm sorry, your burger is not special enough to cost $10. No burger is.

What about drink prices? Happy hour type specials? A steak night or any other types of weeknight draws? I was worried that the prices would be similar to Dry Creek, but I guess it's not surprising. I'm sorry, your burger is not special enough to cost $10. No burger is.

I didn't even notice what they charged for the drinks - sorry. I don't remember seeing happy hour specials or steak-night type things advertised. They did have a beer menu and a wine menu in addition to the food menu - but I actually forgot to look at either of those b/c I got a mixed drink. The food prices did seem like they were in the Dry Creek range. I expect the food will get better - if not cheaper - in time.

They were advertising a steak night but I don't recall which week night. We had a large group there last Weds and it was really nice. Lots of space on the deck compared to most places where you are sitting right on top of each other. Thought the prices were comparable to Onion Creek because a glass of wine is $7-10 but we mostly got buckets of beer which were reasonable.

• 1 month later...

Great article in the Houston Chronicle about Cedar Creek. However, the article gives me the impression that my community of Shady Acres is out in the country booney. That is so far from the truth.

BTW: The Shady Acres Civic Club is working with Gary to make the intersection of W 20 and Beall be more safer to drive. We are pushing for a 4 way stop at this intersection. There will be more "No-parking" signs along side streets and Gary is looking for additional parking for his establishment. http://www.shadyacres.org/index.php?topic=173.0

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/hei...ws/6235178.html

At a table out by the creek, Gary Mosley reads aloud the hand-painted sign that declares the motto of Cedar Creek, his newest restaurant/bar/coffee shop.

someone told me it was packed, "like super packed", last friday. maybe private party or somethin

Nah its just the new "trendy" joint to hit up. People are migrating from Washington... We walked in and then out on Sat. because of the crowd, not only the quantity but the type of people as well. Sad when these places get over run...

Archived