Tower Theater At 1201 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

There's been a lot of interest in preserving River Oaks Plaza, River Oaks Theater and the Alabama Theater buildings.

I hope that the same attention will be given to the Tower Theater, on Westheimer. IMO it's just as worthy of preservation.

There's been a lot of interest in preserving River Oaks Plaza, River Oaks Theater and the Alabama Theater buildings.

I hope that the same attention will be given to the Tower Theater, on Westheimer. IMO it's just as worthy of preservation.

I didn't know the Tower was still there! I moved away many years ago, but I used to live just a few blocks away on Graustark Ave. As kids, we used to go the the Saturday Fun Club there and watch Roy Rogers serials and cartoons.

I agree! I think all the remaining movie palaces should be preserved...and even restored and converted back into theaters!

The drive-in is making a resurgence -- at least in Tomball -- why not the movie palace?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I simply couldn't resist the temptation.

Here is the trailer to one of the most successful blockbuster films ever shown at the Tower circa 1974-75. As mentioned on related Tower Theater topics, we kids used to even ride the bus to the theater just to see this epic. The lines/crowds wrapped around the block in both directions. Even more amazing in the evenings! We must have seen it at least 15 plus times. :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOg6KkoM_cs

• 1 year later...

I simply couldn't resist the temptation.

Here is the trailer to one of the most successful blockbuster films ever shown at the Tower circa 1974-75. As mentioned on related Tower Theater topics, we kids used to even ride the bus to the theater just to see this epic. The lines/crowds wrapped around the block in both directions. Even more amazing in the evenings! We must have seen it at least 15 plus times. :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOg6KkoM_cs

The YouTube account has been closed, and there's no indication as to which movie is being referred to.

Anyone know?

Only been in the Tower once.. About 20+ years ago when Eric Johnson

played the joint. He sounded good in there.. B)

Only been there once myself...1994 for Phish. It being a Phish concert, I don't remember anything after dropping a gel tab and my buddy getting a good deal on a ball of hash...

Wait, wait...they did play Freebird!

Since he said he saw it 15 times I'd guess "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

I thought that at first, too - except "Rocky Horror" didn't come out until '75, and didn't achieve popularity until it was re-released as a midnight movie, circa 1977. Perhaps Vertigo58 may have gotten his years wrong.

Was "Rocky Horror" ever shown at the Tower?

I thought that at first, too - except "Rocky Horror" didn't come out until '75, and didn't achieve popularity until it was re-released as a midnight movie, circa 1977. Perhaps Vertigo58 may have gotten his years wrong.

Was "Rocky Horror" ever shown at the Tower?

not that I'm aware of. The Alabama and later at the River Oaks.

In the spirit of the Tower thread... I was at that Hunter Thompson show. He was a mess. Typical; was on one of his many lawsuit-fundraiser speaking tours. The last time I saw the Butthole Surfers in Houston was at the Tower in its waning days, circa 1994. A far cry from the Island ten years earlier.

• The title was changed to Tower Theater At 1201 Westheimer Rd.