Texas pledge of allegiance

sevfiv

Texas rep. Debbie Riddle's personal beliefs enacted:

Texas students will have four more words to remember when they head back to class this month and begin reciting the state's pledge of allegiance.

This year's Legislature added the phrase "one state under God" to the pledge, which is part of a required morning ritual in Texas public schools along with the pledge to the U.S. flag and a moment of silence.

State Rep. Debbie Riddle, who sponsored the bill, said it had always bothered her that God was omitted in the state's pledge.

"Personally, I felt like the Texas pledge had a big old hole in it, and it occurred to me, 'You know what? We need to fix that,' " said Riddle, R-Tomball. "Our Texas pledge is perfectly OK like it is with the exception of acknowledging that just as we are one nation under God, we are one state under God as well."

By law, students who object to saying the pledge or making the reference to God can bring a written note from home excusing them from participating.

But adding that phrase has drawn criticism from some who say it's unneccesary and potentially harmful to children who don't share the same religious beliefs. "Most Texans do not need to say this new version of the pledge in order to be either patriotic or religious," said Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. "This is the kind of politicking of religion that disturbs many Americans, including those who are deeply religious."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5020241.html

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who else supported Riddle?

We need to torment Riddle wherever she goes by convincing people to not vote for her. Her religious beliefs should not be enacted on others.

In fact, I would welcome an ACLU separation of church and state challenge. Anyone?

"Personally, I felt like the Texas pledge had a big old hole in it, and it occurred to me, 'You know what? We need to fix that,' " said Riddle, R-Tomball. "Our Texas pledge is perfectly OK like it is with the exception of acknowledging that just as we are one nation under God, we are one state under God as well."

Good for her! I am glad she felt comfortable foisting her personal beliefs on the rest of us. I am also glad she was able to come to grips with her Christian prohibition against worshipping false idols.

Now that this impediment is out of the way, maybe next session she can make it a crime not to go to church on Sunday.

How is this for an e-mail?

Should I send this in letter form too?

"Ms. Riddle, I am absolutely disappointed in your behavior and the behavior of all of the men who voted with you to add "God" to the Texas pledge.

Riddle, Texas faces many real issues, including funding issues with schools and infrastructure, economic issues, etc. You wasted my time, my neighbors' time, and the time of all Texan citizens by adding "God" to a pledge that did not need to be changed.

And, no, Riddle, it was not necessary. Very few Americans do not know of the Christian religion, since many churches are seen in Texas cities and towns. Why change a pledge that did not need to be changed? With that time, Riddle, you could have established state health insurance for the uninsured!

If you wish to support the Christian religion, Riddle, you could have done so on your own time and money by giving money to a missionary fund.

Because of your time-wasting conduct, I am politely asking the members of your district to not renew your term in the Texas House of Representatives.

Sincerely,

- "

As the story reported, the reference to "God" was in the pledge all along, Mr. Riddle simply added it back. Additionally, there were other members (your representatives) who voted for this bill. Good for him and those who voted. I appreciate our representatives standing up for the majority and not bending to the vocal minority.

If the ACLU spent half as much energy on issues of insurance companies running our healthcare system, non-standardized voting formats and other real causes as they do on ridiculously benign ones as this, the country would be a far better place. Then, perhaps, worrying about the word "God" being included in a pledge in a majority Christian state and country (not that the term God is unique to Christians) would be a bit less laughable.

How is this for an e-mail?

Should I send this in letter form too?

"Ms. Riddle, I am absolutely disappointed in your behavior and the behavior of all of the men who voted with you to add "God" to the Texas pledge.

Riddle, Texas faces many real issues, including funding issues with schools and infrastructure, economic issues, etc. You wasted my time, my neighbors' time, and the time of all Texan citizens by adding "God" to a pledge that did not need to be changed.

And, no, Riddle, it was not necessary. Very few Americans do not know of the Christian religion, since many churches are seen in Texas cities and towns. Why change a pledge that did not need to be changed? With that time, Riddle, you could have established state health insurance for the uninsured!

If you wish to support the Christian religion, Riddle, you could have done so on your own time and money by giving money to a missionary fund.

Because of your time-wasting conduct, I am politely asking the members of your district to not renew your term in the Texas House of Representatives.

Sincerely,

- "

While I personally believe in God, and I don't see any real problem with it being included, you and I share the same beliefs on this subject that it was a waste of time.

We should be refunded for time wasted by our representatives.

If the ACLU spent half as much energy on issues of insurance companies running our healthcare system, non-standardized voting formats and other real causes as they do on ridiculously benign ones as this, the country would be a far better place. Then, perhaps, worrying about the word "God" being included in a pledge in a majority Christian state and country (not that the term God is unique to Christians) would be a bit less laughable.

Those stories aren't as interesting, so you probably wouldn't care to hear them in the first place. It is not the ACLU's fault that these stories almost exclusively are the only ones that make the news.

This news is not surprising, [sarcasm]but we all know she is talking about the God of all faiths.[/sarcasm]

Good for her! I am glad she felt comfortable foisting her personal beliefs on the rest of us.

If she gets re-elected, then it will be obvious that it was also the personal belief of the majority of hher constituency as well. Only time will tell.

As the story reported, the reference to "God" was in the pledge all along, Mr. Riddle simply added it back. Additionally, there were other members (your representatives) who voted for this bill. Good for him and those who voted. I appreciate our representatives standing up for the majority and not bending to the vocal minority.

I do not see anywhere in the article where this phrase was included originally. However, the irony abounds in your statement that the religious majority should impose its will on the minority. You see, way back in the day, when the Texans declared independence from Mexico, freedom from the religious majority was a major concern. Now that the minority of the 1830s is now the majority, it only seems right to use that majority status to impose their will on others. And, it brings Texas in line with many other governments around the world, where the religion of the majority is protected and supported by the government. But, if it makes you feel closer to God for your government to order you to praise him, then good for you. I just hope that government does not do to your religion what it does to everything else.

That would be a shame, wouldn't it?

Funny thing is, outside of school kids who do not care, I doubt most of you have ever heard it. I only hear it occasionally, in a couple of courts where the judges insist on reciting it. I stand, but do not recite either pledge...not much into worshipping flags. After the lame display of patriotism...and it is REALLY lame, since no one knows the Texas pledge, the court goes about its regular business.

So, this really was a waste of time. It cannot even be said that Riddle stuck up for the majority, since the majority of Texans do not even know Texas HAS a pledge, much less what the words are.

At first, I was thinking this was really weird, but now that I think of it, back in Canadian elementary school, we had to sing the national anthem in English then again in French (nobody speaks french in Ontario), then we had to recite a prayer about Jesus (there were at least a few Jews in the school besides myself), and actually that's worse. So I guess I'd rather have one state/province under god than that...

In high school, I went to an international private school and they insisted we sing church hymns in our "non denominational chapel" about Jesus. There were Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Budhists, as well as Christians.

I don't believe religion has any place in public school or government, and I also agree this was a big waste of time, but now that I think of it, back home was worse.

Man, the debate on KingwoodUnderground.com about the very same issue is interesting, to say the least: http://www.kingwoodunderground.com/topic.j...opicId=11070259

I asked the supporters of the bill what benefit would come from the bill, they said nothing. I like the responses of the people opposed that contrast to the supporters.

When I debated, after a point JetSkiRider gave up and said:

"PLEASE put this posting on ignore for the good of all of us.

Vicman lives far from Kingwood, is promoting an agenda outside the will and GOD and would love to drag us into his battle.

PLEASE, let's ignore the postings from him."

I feel even more disgust.

I didn't know there was a state pledge of allegiance. Pledges just waste time that kids will never get back. In elementary school I don't know anyone who ever took it seriously, and didn't pretend to mime the words.

The concept that religion has no place in anything public or governmental is laughable as well. First, the separation of church and state is not constitutionally guaranteed. Second, it simply means that the state will not impose a faith on the public (as England did at the time). The faith of the majority should not be ignored and discarded because it might offend some of the minority.

"The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits the establishment of a national religion by Congress or the preference of one religion over another, or religion over non-religion."

I take that to mean that just because one religion is the religion of majority, it should not be favored over another.

If Pastafarians were the religion of majority, would you object to them saying "One state under the flying spaghetti monster's noodly appendage"?

I remember reciting this pledge in the early 90's:

"Honor the Texas flag. I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

Is that the one?

I have been told that one of the terms under which Texas joined the Union was that we could elect to split into five states. Is that true? If so, doesn't that make us divisible?

Archived