Other cities comparing themselves to Houston

editor

Houston's skyline does have that "wow" effect. It is so pretty and it appears as if it is in colors, green, blue, pink - just lovely. Houstonians appear to take this for granted. They need to get out more.

I found an interesting letter to the editor in the Cincinnati Inquirer.

Here's the best part:

OK, what the hell building is he talking about?

What's really funny is I am fairly certain he is confusing Houston and Dallas. Fountain Place is the building that appears to change shapes from different angles...

It is the "mirror effect" of the glass. It even shows up in photos, everything changes shape and becomes wavy. You've probably seen it so often that it doesn't register. Mirrors do that, they make reflections change shape.

I think we have a gorgeous skyline.

You hit the nail right on the Head with that one. The downtown skyline alone is one of the Best in the Nation. When you see all three skylines at once the CBD, TMC, and UT it is breathtaking. There are diffrent areas where you can see them all at once, my favorite on is from the Ship Channle Bridge.

Nope. As I drive, I notice a change in perception of the buildings with such notables as Wells Fargo, Pennzoil Place, and Williams Tower.

Good on you.

However, this letter to the editor states "with a building that appears to change shape when you are on a freeway."

There was nothing about perceptions or mirrors or reflections. It is about a singular building changing shapes from different angles. I am still convinced that this man was talking about Fountain Place. Here are some views;

fountain_photo_4.jpg

fountain_photo_5.jpg

FP1.jpg

That's funny, I thought he might be talking about Fountain Place before I read Kinkaid Alum's post. I need to see this Carew Tower they're talking about.

Nice building. I've been to the top many times. It's got a flat open roof and you can see for miles.

Carew Tower

CarewTower-001.jpg

Good on you.

However, this letter to the editor states "with a building that appears to change shape when you are on a freeway."

There was nothing about perceptions or mirrors or reflections. It is about a singular building changing shapes from different angles. I am still convinced that this man was talking about Fountain Place. Here are some views;

I concur that Fountain Place is by far the shape-changing-est highrise that I'm aware of. ...and I know what moni is talking about, but I'm talking about something different--I'm talking about what you're talking about.

So I stand by my post.

More proof that people outside Texas don't know the difference between Houston and Dallas which makes our bickering so much sillier.

Exactly!

To the rest of the world, Houston and Dallas and pretty much interchangeable.

When I lived in Houston most people (mostly relatives) believed that I lived in Dallas - I took considerable exception to that and was offended! Now that I am living in Dallas, I get mixed results - some think I still live in Houston, many of the other half assume that I live in Dallas, and the majority just write me off as living in Texas.

Actually I am proud to have lived in all of the major Texas cities and love them all, but I am a little offended by my peers who can't differentiate the cities.

Does anyone simply write off those from San Diego, LA, or San Francisco as simply "California"?!? Of course not! Texas cities deserve the same respect.

Exactly!

To the rest of the world, Houston and Dallas and pretty much interchangeable.

When I lived in Houston most people (mostly relatives) believed that I lived in Dallas - I took considerable exception to that and was offended! Now that I am living in Dallas, I get mixed results - some think I still live in Houston, many of the other half assume that I live in Dallas, and the majority just write me off as living in Texas.

Actually I am proud to have lived in all of the major Texas cities and love them all, but I am a little offended by my peers who can't differentiate the cities.

Does anyone simply write off those from San Diego, LA, or San Francisco as simply "California"?!? Of course not! Texas cities deserve the same respect.

It's not about respect. It's about distinction. LA and San Francisco are like different worlds from one another. Dallas and Houston are just too similar.

Oh, and San Diego is now practically a suburb of LA -- and yes, I've heard of them being "written off" as Southern Californians.

Reminds me of a commercial I saw recently. It's for some sort of game and on the commercial they were traveling around the country having people test the game out for the first time. The shot was framed with a postcard: places like L.A., Seattle, and several other cities. Then came Texas. Not Houston, not Dallas, just Texas. With cowboy hats, of course.

• 1 month later...
Good on you.

There was nothing about perceptions or mirrors or reflections. It is about a singular building changing shapes from different angles. I am still convinced that this man was talking about Fountain Place.

Check out the Continental Airlines headquarters from the Pierce Elevated sometime. The acute angle facing the freeway gives the impression that the whole wall is paper-thin, until a different point of view belies its true shape.

Also, Pennzoil Place can appear to be a single building or two towers, depending on one's perspective.

Archived