Pearland Town Center At 11200 Broadway St.

kzseattle

let us know what you think when you get back.

Place was packed..... I was impressed with the service, which usually for new places around Pearland, sucks for a while and in some other places it just sucks. Hope they keep up the good work. Thanks for the recommendation Lockmat; great dessert.

Really enjoyed Pearland Town Center; great addition to the neighborhood. Traffic did not look as bad as I expected, but as promised I walked there. A little humidity but the walk made me feel much better after the Pizza, Beer & the Macadamia Pazooki!

Place was packed..... I was impressed with the service, which usually for new places around Pearland, sucks for a while and in some other places it just sucks. Hope they keep up the good work. Thanks for the recommendation Lockmat; great dessert.

Really enjoyed Pearland Town Center; great addition to the neighborhood. Traffic did not look as bad as I expected, but as promised I walked there. A little humidity but the walk made me feel much better after the Pizza, Beer & the Macadamia Pazooki!

So was the Marq*E when it first opened. I don't think this will have long legs.

Just got back from spending an afternoon and evening there. It was fairly crowded but parking was not a problem anywhere. We did drive on the cross streets and it was slow but OK. A lot of people just walk randomly through traffic as though they were in an indoor mall and didn't have to worry about cars. Although there were a lot of people it was always easy to move around.

We went in several stores and, in general, they are smaller and noticeably less fully stocked than their larger counterparts in Houston. We didn't go in every store but this is certainly true of the two big marquee anchors, Macy's and Barnes & Noble.

There was a lot of private security and Pearland PD around, in cars, one giant diesel Ford F-250 Super Duty (wonder what kinda mileage they were getting idling around in circles in that bad boy), on bikes, and a few three-wheel Segways. If you thought Segways couldn't get any dorkier-looking, you should see the three-wheel kind.

Getting in and out was absolutely effortless with the south exit to Kirby. Take that to CR 59 (right by the infamous ten-car-garage vacant gigantic houses), turn left, and there you go, you're at 288. Smile and wave as you zoom over the 288/518 intersection.

The place looks like the usual postmodern mishmash of colors and styles, maybe a little more modern than some. Not hard on the eyes, particularly, but just kinda there. I wondered aloud "Who would want to live in an apartment HERE at the mall?" (I know it's not a mall, but still) My thirteen-year-old daughter said immediately, "Girls." The giant coffee can signage at the north entry is kinda fugly, and seems to be implying a countrified hominess that is totally absent from anything else in the place.

One nice touch -- there were several live musicians performing, just on the sidewalk. Usually just a coupla guys with a keyboard or a guitar and maybe some sampled background tracks. Nothing too elaborate, but fun to hear. Unfortunately, there was also ubiquitous oldies-radio style background music from pole-mounted speakers, so there was plenty of racket. We can't be expected to walk around in public without ambient background music, can we?

The biggest disappointment, and this might be a deal-breaker for some, is the availability of food. Red Lobster is not even close to open, and many of the other advertised food places are either still not open or "training." Fish City and Red Robin both looked good to us, but they were training. BJs looked great, but with them being the only real dinner place open, the wait for a table was way too long. We ended up leaving and eating in Silverlake. We came back to nose around a little more, and went to Cinnabon, which was totally unprepared for the crowds and and had very long waits (and a reduced menu -- no Minibons!)

Anyway, it was kinda fun and aside from the food it seemed to be dealing with the crowds with no problem.

Wendy and I went last night. marmer's description is very accurate; the lack of available dining seems to be the biggest drawback right now. I guess that will be fixed in a few weeks when the other restaurants open. We were also surprised that traffic wasn't heavier.

We did think B&N was nicely stocked, though, and I found a book I'd been searching to find a long time.

At 10pm they had a laser light/music show at the Sparks Energy pavilion (stage). It was better than I expected.

All things considered, I can see us spending considerable $$ here in the years ahead.

We tried the Fish City Grill yesterday. It was good and we will probably go back. Any of the decent fish dinners were comparable to Red Lobster in price, but the sandwiches, soups, and salads were less expensive. Quite honestly, if you are in the mood for a nice fish dinner then you will probably get more bang for your buck over at the new Red Lobster when it opens, since at RL the entree prices include side salads and cheese biscuits (all you can eat of these).

Looking forward to trying Red Robin and Mimi's soon.

Wendy and I went last night. marmer's description is very accurate; the lack of available dining seems to be the biggest drawback right now. I guess that will be fixed in a few weeks when the other restaurants open. We were also surprised that traffic wasn't heavier.

We did think B&N was nicely stocked, though, and I found a book I'd been searching to find a long time.

At 10pm they had a laser light/music show at the Sparks Energy pavilion (stage). It was better than I expected.

All things considered, I can see us spending considerable $$ here in the years ahead.

I think Fish City Grill taste a lot better than Red Lobster. Fish City has more of the "Southern Taste".

I think Fish City Grill taste a lot better than Red Lobster. Fish City has more of the "Southern Taste".

I was told that Red Robin opens today. Also, Fish City Grill is definitely a couple of steps above Red Lobster. I will not eat at Red Lobster, I do however like Fish City Grill.

We tried out Red Robin last night. The mushroom burger was great. The fries are so-so, but the basket is "bottomless" - as in, free refills. Needless to say, it would easy to gain ten pounds pretty quickly just by eating there once in awhile! All in all, a good experience.

So far, in my opinion: Red Robins > BJ's > Fish City Grill, in terms of food.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Red Robin. It is my regular stop before or after movies when I go to the MarqE center.

Royal Red Robin Burger.Yum. :)

We tried out Red Robin last night. The mushroom burger was great. The fries are so-so, but the basket is "bottomless" - as in, free refills. Needless to say, it would easy to gain ten pounds pretty quickly just by eating there once in awhile! All in all, a good experience.

So far, in my opinion: Red Robins > BJ's > Fish City Grill, in terms of food.

I was there last night too..... Sitting at the bar as usual. They know it will take them a bit to get the service up to speed, but in general they are doing a great job to be the first couple of days. Burger was great, but this morning I'm paying the consequences.

Cork wine is open, stopped to check the selection, and they do have a long way to go. Kitchen is not open yet, and they do not have all the beer & wine selection they have in their menu. Anyways seems like a good "upscale" bar option for some of my more affluent neighbors.

They have a boat show, great idea to use the pavillion commercially like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam's Boat is okay. I prefer the patio and bar over the restaurant itself. They were having live music every Friday night, but not sure if that is still going on.

I also like a bar called The Wild Geese Tavern (I think). It's in the same area as Norton's. They have good bar specials and lots of pool tables for you pool sharks. I've also heard a couple of live bands there too, but maybe that's only for special occasions.

haven't made it to the Cork Wine bar at the PTC, but wine is not really my scene anyway. BJ's Tavern has a nice bar, but again it's in a restaurant. BJ's also has a happy hour Mon - Thur or Friday and a reverse happy hour Mon- Thur (excellent deep dish pizza at BJ's).

I actually really like Fish City Grill. They do have some pricer selections, but in generally they have a nice menu for under $8 or $9. Red Lobster is hit or miss with me. Some locations are actually quite good, and others are the dumps. Hopefully we'll get a good one here (can't wait for the cheesy biscuits).

Norton's has the best draft beer selection in Pearland. Also have a separate bar with wine and speciality martinis.

Wild Geese Tavern has a nice interior, with a pseudo-separated bar and a back area w/ pool tables.

Centercourt is always hopping on Friday, but it's pretty small. great pizza and decent beer on tap and bottled.

BJs has a good bar area. Their own beer is decent.

Haven't been to the Sam's Boat here. Nice patio for when the weather is good though.

where are some of the best watering holes to go to after work? I recently moved to Silverlake and I'm in my 20s.

I was thinking of TGIFs but that would seem strange to go to a restaurant's bar.

I've already been to Scooter's Beer and Burgers with a friend and it was OK.

Thanks!

If you didn't find a home at Scooter's Icehouse, I can't help you.

That was my home away from home for a few years when I lived on Dixie Farm Road back in the mid-90's. I had a lot of good times there...does anyone know if Billy still lives in the camper of the junked pick-up truck at the body shop next door? Sweet guy...we used to bring him home with us to stay in a warm house when it got too cold in the winters.

I have a special place in my heart for Scooters. I can specifically remember the very first time I saw the place. It was early 1983, I was 10 years old and me and my grandma and cousin were headed down Telephone Road towards Corpus. We pulled up to the light, and as I looked to my right and I was intrigued by the name "Scooter's", Prince's new song "Little Red Corvette" came on the radio...first time I'd ever heard it. For some reason, that one memory has stuck with me through the years.

I later named a dog after that icehouse. The dog was as crazy as most of the regulars at Scooter's.

Next time you go to BJs, get a pazooki, they're yummy.

you sure have some great taste buds. Went to BJ's on Sunday. Our first time. Wait time is still about 40mins. Have avocado egg roll for appetizer and ordered pazooki for dessert. They're simply great. If you call my home and no one picks up, try BJ's.

Just heard from a inside source that Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill wil be locating in the SE parcel of land at the Pearland Town Center.

Finally a good movie theater. Can't wait for it to open! I wish we had a bowling alley open on the west side (something like Main Event).

Just heard from a inside source that Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill wil be locating in the SE parcel of land at the Pearland Town Center.

That would be a great addition. Hope your insiders are correct!

The development next to Bass Pro (The Promenade Shops) was supossed to have a good movie theather, but who knows what will happen to that project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi lock,

As far as we can tell, it's still doing well. We haven't been there since that one visit. Some of my neighbors say it can still be very crowded during peak dining times.

Yeah, a future Marq*E Center.

Busy at the beginning with people discouraged to visit a second time. Bunch of first timers are going out of curiosity it seems.

I got an email from the Pearland Towncenter website that says it will partially reopen today. I haven't been over there yet to assess the damage from Ike.

How was the damage, is it fully reopened?

• 3 weeks later...

Ate at the WhichWich Sunday night, behind the new Denny's at the front of the Academy complex.

Never eaten at one before, and it's a pretty cool concept. They weren't busy at all, but they were kinda slow getting our sandwiches done. Maybe time/training will fix that. Staff was very friendly though.

Their House Chips are pretty darn tasty. Kinda like kettle-cooked Ruffles with seasoning on them.

Ate at the WhichWich Sunday night, behind the new Denny's at the front of the Academy complex.

Never eaten at one before, and it's a pretty cool concept. They weren't busy at all, but they were kinda slow getting our sandwiches done. Maybe time/training will fix that. Staff was very friendly though.

Their House Chips are pretty darn tasty. Kinda like kettle-cooked Ruffles with seasoning on them.

Tried them today..... Not bad at all for $5 a piece. I complemented mine with a Jamba Juice.

I tried it yesterday evening and a bit slow, there was atleast 6 to 8 people waiting in front of me.

Also, noticed that the McAlisters Deli window signs are no longer on the windows near the Thai Cottage, just a for lease sign :mellow: