Houston feat. in NY Mag

wow, no.

They said to go there AT sunset and watch the skyline light up. They said nothing about the sunset lighting anything up. Perhaps they mean downtowns LIGHTS.

LOL They may not have EXACTLY said that, but if you've ever seen the Houston skyline at sunset, you know that's what they meant. (especially since we all know that Houston's skyline does not have spectacular lighting and even if it did, one would have to wait until well after sunset to view the lights.)

Guest danax
That's pretty cool. I did find one error though:

If you're biking in Memorial Park and the sun is setting, you're not looking at the skyline, you're looking west towards Uptown and Memorial.

I'm thinking they meant to say Buffalo Bayou Park, not Memorial. The pic accompanying that statement is of BB Park.

Articles like this chip away at the stereotype of Houston as some sort of cultural concrete wasteland. Instead, it makes it look as hip as NY, but with some breathing room.

Funny.

My thought was they confused Hermann Park (which was just revamped) with Memorial Park (I am not aware that Memorial Park has had recent renovations).

I couldn't imagine telling an out of towner from N.Y. to ride a bike from the Hotel ZaZa to Memorial Park. That would be scary as all hell. Additionally, when in Hermann Park, you can definitely watch A (not the) skyline light up... Also, while Memorial Park is a great park for residents, I would think it would be pretty F'in boring to a visitor whereas Hermann has the zoo, the sculptures, the Japanese Garden, the train, the trail, the location, the new and improved lake, etc...

I'm thinking danax is right. If you are in Memorial Park, the treeline will block your view of downtown, whereas if you are st Buffalo Bayou Park, or Eleanor Tinsley Park, you get the view that we see in the famous skyline photos.

The whole thing is still amusing to me. Reading it, I thought of the people gathering in Key West to watch the sunset. I can just imagine a New Yorker expecting THAT experience asking me, Hey, where's everyone gather for the sunset watching?" Huh? :blink:

Nice to hear New Yorkers call us hip, though.

I couldn't imagine telling an out of towner from N.Y. to ride a bike from the Hotel ZaZa to Memorial Park. That would be scary as all hell.
it isn't scary at all. as a matter of fact, you get to see a good segment of Houston.

Uh, I didn't mean scary as in the ride would take you through the ghetto.

I meant scary as in the paper is telling folks that would be a nice leisure ride. Nothing like bike riding along Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway trying to share the road with a soccer mom doing 60 mph in her Hummer. It's bad enough for native exercise cyclists, but these folks would be tourists!

Guest danax
I meant scary as in the paper is telling folks that would be a nice leisure ride. Nothing like bike riding along Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway trying to share the road with a soccer mom doing 60 mph in her Hummer. It's bad enough for native exercise cyclists, but these folks would be tourists!

True, but we're talking New Yorkers here. They're used to urban defense tactics. I got them handling it.

Uh, I didn't mean scary as in the ride would take you through the ghetto.

The Buffalo Bayou bike trail runs from downtown to the Shepherd overpass. From there, there are sidewalks to Memorial Park, that no one complains of bicycling on. Even the joggers know that it's nuts to ride on Memorial.

At least that's the way I always do it.

Also one could go staright up Montrose. Although the sidewalks get a little interrupted north of Westheimer.

Well you shouldn't be riding on sidewalks anyway. It's against the law. There are a number of side streets that run parallel to Montrose if you want to avoid the traffic. From downtown is not too bad if you go down Caroline.

Bike tours of Houston is a fools errand.

And I own three bikes (Mountain, BMX Cruiser and Road).

No, not at all. This is a great city for biking, at least inside the Loop! (and I only have two bikes ^_^ ) It's flat, the weather's nice, it's easy to get around.

Archived