29 members have voted

1. 1. Will These Tiles Look Dated?

• No. Never.
    • Yeah...in about 5 years
    • Yeah...in about 10 years
    • Yeah...sometime a decade from now

I'm heading towards redoing my bathroom, and using some of these as an accent:

DP_DT_KO60_CIRCLEBLK_2X8.jpg

They would be combined with white field tile with a black border around the edge. The black and white should age quite well, but I'm worried, that the accent strip will look dated a few years down the road.

Well crap. I didn't mean to allow multiple selections on the poll...it was supposed to be a pick one thing, and now I can't edit it.

Guest danax
I'm heading towards redoing my bathroom, and using some of these as an accent:

DP_DT_KO60_CIRCLEBLK_2X8.jpg

Well crap. I didn't mean to allow multiple selections on the poll...it was supposed to be a pick one thing, and now I can't edit it.

The poll's been fixed.

These tiles look like one of those IQ questions; which one doesn't fit?

I don't know if they'll ever be dated, cause they're too hard to pin down right now. I think the only sure-fire way to avoid the dated dilemma is to go with the exact period of the house, then it goes from dated to "period".

The poll's been fixed.

Thanks!!

I don't know if they'll ever be dated, cause they're too hard to pin down right now. I think the only sure-fire way to avoid the dated dilemma is to go with the exact period of the house, then it goes from dated to "period".

Well...its a modest little mid 50s ranch....

Man go for it! Someone is gonna always tell you wrong. If you like it, do it ... it's YOUR house afterall ... not ours.

I like it, but I don't want it to look dated. My feeling is that it won't look dated since the colors are low key, and it has that retro feel....but I wanted to see what everybody else thought.

I like it, but I don't want it to look dated. My feeling is that it won't look dated since the colors are low key, and it has that retro feel....but I wanted to see what everybody else thought.

EH! Just give'em to me, I'll use them in my bathroom, and you can go pick something else.

I haven't bought 'em yet....

Oh, well ... that changes everything.

I think it depends on your tastes and what you plan to do with your home. If this is for YOU, then go for it. If you plan on doing a sale later (or sooner) you might want to go with something more traditional.

Either way, I STILL say it's your call.

i kind of like it, but as far as dated goes, i think it will look dated. they kind of look dated now, but in a retro way. if you like it go for it, in time a lot of things get dated then come back in style.

i'm curious to see how that would look, if u do go this route be sure to post pics.

they look kinda ikea-ish to me... cheap modern instead of modern... i'd pass on'em.

(fwiw, i like some ikea-ish stuff)

Cheap modern. Interesting. I think I'm going to just not do these, and do plain white tile in a bricklaid pattern with a black accent strip, and a black border.

I think I'm going to just not do these, and do plain white tile in a bricklaid pattern with a black accent strip, and a black border.

If the picture in my head is right, that shouldn't looked dated any time soon, and will always have a modern look to it...

cheap modern was all i could think of... "cheap" probably isn't the proper word... but i think you kinda get it...

Very cool. They make me think of a Calder sketch. Can you imagine an entire bathroom with those?! BTW, I voted "never". I've liked Calder since I was a kid, and that spans 30 years.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheap modern. Interesting. I think I'm going to just not do these, and do plain white tile in a bricklaid pattern with a black accent strip, and a black border.

I think you made the right decission. I have a bath that is all white tile with black border and had some black tiles placed in random order (not as easy as it sounds - as there can be no pattern) but the end result is great. I like this much better than an accent stip... something you may want to consider.

I think you made the right decission. I have a bath that is all white tile with black border and had some black tiles placed in random order (not as easy as it sounds - as there can be no pattern) but the end result is great. I like this much better than an accent stip... something you may want to consider.

Would you post a pic?

Can someone tell me how to add a picture?

when you add a reply, hit the rte-image-button.png button in the toolbar, and paste a link to the picture (it has to be hosted somewhere, like tinypic.com). otherwise, you have to upload 'em, like you did above

Archived