Texas Tech & Texas A&M University Game Should Have Spot Reserved At Jerry World

To me, this post is about moving the annual game to Dallas... in order to try to capture the same thing Tex/Ok have. In doing so, it's trying to elevate this game and force it to be what it can't be, a rivalry.

Are we the better football team this season.. don't know.

Were we better football team last season.. Yes. Tech may have beat us, but we still finished with the better conference and overall record.

Has Tech consistently had our number this decade and been better on the football field ? Yes. But who cares... thats no grounds for moving the game to Dallas and trying to turn it into what it is not.

Finally a good response. I agree with you A&M was the better team last year and Tech the four years before that. True it may be pushing it into a rivalry but as mrfootball pointed out there are quite a few more benfits then negatives. It will help give both schools the dollars to keep up with the ever growing south (which just about ever university in the Big Twelve is experiencing a boom). These are two teams that would draw a crowd because it is A&M and Tech has a very good fan/alumni base in Dallas.

Ignore the forced rivalry that may happen, the extra money every year may just be worth it.

If TT & Aggy really want to play at a neutral site, play in San Antonio.

Playing in the D/FW Metroplex makes you look like Texas/OU wannabees.

And FWIW, my Bonghorn friends say their main rival is OU, not A&M.

I agree with playing in Dallas and the whole wannabe thing... which brings up the whole "whos your rival" argment. This aggie for one has no interest in moving the game period.

And i would agree that Wronghorns rightly believe their main rival in football is OU. A&M will be secondary until our football program plays better at a consistent level. Though, we did go into Austin and beat them last yr.. im sure that has to sting.

At all other sports though, and university to university, Texas sees A&M as their main rival... or so my Bonghorn friends say.

If TT & Aggy really want to play at a neutral site, play in San Antonio.

Playing in the D/FW Metroplex makes you look like Texas/OU wannabees.

I wouldnt be totally be against that, but I do like the new Cowboys stadium.

Ignore the forced rivalry that may happen, the extra money every year may just be worth it.

No, because as Red said, it will come out of my pockets and whoever else decides to pony up for a ticket.

Plus, the Houstonian in me doesnt want Dallas to get another big collegiate game, and certainly doesnt wanna have to drive 4x the distance to attend this game.

It's all about who you're beating (and getting beat by) at the time. Ask them again if UT is beating OU but losing to TAMU every year.

Plus, the Houstonian in me doesnt want Dallas to get another big collegiate game, and certainly doesnt wanna have to drive 4x the distance to attend this game.

I have to agree with that, the drive from Lubbock wouldn't be great for Tech fans.

I respect that response, it wasnt just trashing.

The biggest problem I have found with this argument between the level of play between Aggies and Tech is how the past is brought up. Tech has two co-champion SWC title because of the lack of a championship game. Tech may not have the big twelve championship to their name but they finish infront of A&M most of the time so how is that not considered. But it is pointless to bring up the SWC, that is now in the past just like the days of Army and Navy. I want to compare the football teams in this era.

I am not trying in any way to say that Tech is on the national attention level as A&M but Tech is on the same level when it comes down to comparing the skills and stats of two football teams. So I am not looking for reasons why A&M is above Tech "In terms of national profile..." or which team had a tv series. Tell me a reason why A&M is a better football team on the field and not on the screen.

I am asking for facts and stats not opinions of average people on the street, I know A&M is more nationally known.

You asked for facts supporting A&M being on "a higher level" the past fifteen years, and I gave them. No, we have not won head to head, but we have more achievements to our name - three conference championships vs. one shared conference championship, a BCS bowl appearance vs. no BCS. Tech has never had a team in its history that was as good as A&M's '98 team or its early '90's teams. Then again, it has seldom had teams that were as bad as A&M's '03 team. Frankly though, "higher level" is a vague term.

I do have to say TT has some mean, mean peckers up there.

P1TECHSCUFFLE.jpg

Dr. Mike McKinney, the father of Texas A&M senior center Seth Mc Kinney and Gov. Rick Perry's chief of staff, was injured in a postgame melee following Texas Tech's 12-0 victory over the Aggies on Saturday at Jones SBC Stadium.

P1Goalpost2.jpg

I do have to say TT has some mean, mean peckers up there.

Why can't they all be like the Nebraska fans. Those are some nice people.

My tires got slashed one year in Austin, and they yell mean stuff and all during the game, but at least when all is said and done, there's mutual respect.

Matthew McConaughey did flick me and my buddies off one year though.. but we were booing him as he walked in front of us so I guess its pardonable.

Same with OU.. their fans can be equally as rowdy as longhorns during the game.. but at least when the game is over, its over. I remember partying with big groups of sooners at northgate in I think it was 2000, when McNeal played his first game and led us back to a win. It was fun.. they were good guys.

Red Raiders though. No love there. I guess it's the inferiority conplex but their fans, when playing up in Lubbock, are some of the nastiest people. It's not fun to actually have to worry about being harmed leaving the stadium. When i finally have a wife and kids, the one away game I would never consider bringing them too would be up in Lubbock.

It's all about who you're beating (and getting beat by) at the time. Ask them again if UT is beating OU but losing to TAMU every year.

You know the funny thing about that is that I've met OU people who tell me their Longhorn friends always say that A&M is the big rival and OU is secondary. The sips just enjoy playing this game with both schools to try to make them feel like they're less important. They've become so conceited that they've forgotten what truly makes a great rivalry, which is for both schools to hate each other.

Frankly if it weren't for the fact that we've played them ~110 times and always on Thanksgiving, I'd say A&M should forget t.u., leave the Big 12 for the SEC, and be rivals with LSU. Hearing the constant delusional hysteria of how Austin is some kind of Paris, and Texas is some kind of Harvard for ranking all of 47th on U.S. News and World Report, and Mt. Bonnell is some kind of Mt. Rainier, and Town Lake is some kind of Lake Tahoe, and LBJ was a great president, and Frank Dobie was any more than a minor regional writer, or any of the other insane, idiotic drivel that wafts like so much potsmoke out of that den of Matthew McConnaughey wannabes is starting to outweigh the advantages.

Thats fine if that is the defintion of higher level, thought we were talking about the actual football teams and how they play.

Read my last post there, pal? A&M's best teams of the last 15 years are better than Tech's best. Conference championships are given to "actual football teams and how they play."

Read my last post there, pal? A&M's best teams of the last 15 years are better than Tech's best. Conference championships are given to "actual football teams and how they play."

Those are some great stats that put the two teams at just about the same level, still don't see how A&M is above Tech, pal.

Those are some great stats that put the two teams at just about the same level, still don't see how A&M is above Tech, pal.
three conference championships (incl. Big 12) vs. one shared conference championship, a BCS bowl appearance vs. no BCS. Tech has never had a team in its history that was as good as A&M's '98 team or its early '90's teams

They are basically the same level on the playing field.

Since the formation of the Big XII, A&M has finished the season ranked higher in the conf. 4 times (97, 98, 00, 06)

Tech has finished higher in the rankings 4 times (96, 02, 03, 05)

They have finished tied in the final conference rankings 3 times (99, 01, 04)

However A&M is at the higher level if you consider what they have achieved.

Tech has only finished as high as 2nd in the Big Xii South, and only once. They have never gone on to the Conf. Championship game.

A&M has finished 1st in the South twice. Has gone to the Championship game twice, and has one once.

The South has only ever been won by Tex (4), OU (5)or A&M (2). I don't think it's that far a stretch to say since the formation of the Big XII, the Aggies have achieved more on the football field then TT

Aggy is funny. 3-9 vs. Tech...with the game in Lubbock this year.

Aggy is always optimistic. "We're gonna challenge for the title this year, Dave Campbell sez so"

Aggy sez Tech isn't its rival...44 replies and counting...

70 replies on this thread...TexAgs "I hate Tech"

Aggy gets in fight with other Aggy at Tech's stadium, tries to blame it on Tech fans until video replay proves otherwise...So Aggy makes him Chancellor of the TAMU System... :lol:

Aggy is funny. 3-9 vs. Tech...with the game in Lubbock this year.

Aggy is always optimistic. "We're gonna challenge for the title this year, Dave Campbell sez so"

Aggy sez Tech isn't its rival...44 replies and counting...

70 replies on this thread...TexAgs "I hate Tech"

Aggy gets in fight with other Aggy at Tech's stadium, tries to blame it on Tech fans until video replay proves otherwise...So Aggy makes him Chancellor of the TAMU System... :lol:

...and Hornfan claims that TAMU isn't a rival, yet has posted and fanned the flames in a TTU-TAMU thread more than anyone else.

Hey, if I were a Tech fan, I'd leave comparisons to Houston out of it. Here's why;

Texas Tech has NEVER won a New Year's Day Bowl.

Texas Tech doesn't have a Heisman or Lombardi winner.

Since 1960, TTU has just TWO shared conference titles and none outright.

Tech has NEVER finished the season ranked in the top 5 of the polls.

The Raiders have only finished in the top 10 once (#10 in 1965).

In 81 years of football, Tech has finished the season ranked just 9 times.

UH has won two New Year's Day bowl games.

UH has both a Heisman and Lombardi winner.

Since 1976, UH has 4 SWC titles and 2 CUSA titles.

UH has finished the year ranked in the top 5 twice.

UH has finished ranked in the top 10 five times.

In 60 years of football, UH has finished the year ranked 15 times.

In the head-to-head series, Houston leads 17-10-1.

In the two years that both teams finished ranked (1976 and 1989), Houston won the head-to-head matchup. In 1976, Houston beat Tech in Lubbock 27-19 to win the SWC Title and Cotton Bowl berth in just the Cougars FIRST year in the conference. In 1989, UH drubbed Tech 40-24 in the Astrodome. UH finished 1976 ranked #4 (Tech #13) and 1989 #14 (Tech #19).

Funny. We're not talking about UH. No doubt, UH certainly had Tech's number back in those days. Too bad for them they don't play in the Big 12. A lot has changed since the dying days of the Big 12 back when Aggy cheated their way to a couple worthless SWC championships (becoming one of the most penalized programs in NCAA history). Little 'ole Tech grew up and now sports one of the Top 25 moneymaking Athletic Depts, packs stadiums both at home and away, hasn't had a losing season since 1993, has made A&M its personal delicate flower, goes to bowlgames every year (and wins).

Poll from Orangebloods.com (UT Rivals)

What Is Your 2nd Favorite Big 12 Team?

Results (total votes = 229):

Texas Tech 73 / 31.88%

Baylor 42 / 18.34%

Oklahoma State 17 / 7.42%

Oklahoma 3 / 1.31%

Nebraska 58 / 25.33%

Colorado 12 / 5.24%

Missouri 12 / 5.24%

Iowa State 2 / 0.87%

Kansas 7 / 3.06%

Kansas State 3 / 1.31%

Funny. We're not talking about UH. No doubt, UH certainly had Tech's number back in those days. Too bad for them they don't play in the Big 12. A lot has changed since the dying days of the Big 12 back when Aggy cheated their way to a couple worthless SWC championships (becoming one of the most penalized programs in NCAA history). Little 'ole Tech grew up and now sports one of the Top 25 moneymaking Athletic Depts, packs stadiums both at home and away, hasn't had a losing season since 1993, has made A&M its personal delicate flower, goes to bowlgames every year (and wins).

Texas Tech 73 / 31.88%

Baylor 42 / 18.34%

Oklahoma 3 / 1.31%

Nebraska 58 / 25.33%

Colorado 12 / 5.24%

Missouri 12 / 5.24%

Iowa State 2 / 0.87%

Kansas 7 / 3.06%

Kansas State 3 / 1.31%

So many gaps and inconsistencies in what you're saying that I'm not even going to bother messing with it. I'll just ask though... who the hell cares what is the second favorite Big 12 team of posters on orangebloods.com? How does that even impact this conversation?

I was actually happy to see A&M not on that list - it means the sips have more hate for us than they care to admit, probably owing to the various scores this past year.

Texas Tech 73 / 31.88%

Baylor 42 / 18.34%

Oklahoma 3 / 1.31%

Nebraska 58 / 25.33%

Colorado 12 / 5.24%

Missouri 12 / 5.24%

Iowa State 2 / 0.87%

Kansas 7 / 3.06%

Kansas State 3 / 1.31%

Mr. Football, the fact that you hate us so much (hence your and Midtown Coog's usage of 'Aggy') only makes us prouder. I guess from your point of view there really is a rivalry between the Ags and whoever you cheer for because you obviously can't stand to see the Aggies do well. We love that, keep up the hatred, it really shows us that we're getting under your skin!

RedScare, did you see my question in post #18?

Yeah, Class of '82. Member of the Corps (BC-3). Nicknamed "Infamous". If you ever explore the steam tunnels, you will see me proudly displayed throughout...well unless they painted over it in the last 25 years. I guess nowadays they would call me a tagger. :unsure:

Yeah, Class of '82. Member of the Corps (BC-3). Nicknamed "Infamous". If you ever explore the steam tunnels, you will see me proudly displayed throughout...well unless they painted over it in the last 25 years. I guess nowadays they would call me a tagger. :unsure:

Wow. That makes a lot of sense. Did they not have motion detectors back then?

Wow. That makes a lot of sense. Did they not have motion detectors back then?

Where, in the tunnels? There was nothing but steam pipe in the tunnels. They didn't want you down there, but the couple of times the cops saw us, we dropped back down, and came up somewhere else. Do they have detectors in the tunnels, now? That would suck.

Where, in the tunnels? There was nothing but steam pipe in the tunnels. They didn't want you down there, but the couple of times the cops saw us, we dropped back down, and came up somewhere else. Do they have detectors in the tunnels, now? That would suck.

Yes they do, and you can get kicked out of school if you get caught. There was a thread about it on TexAgs awhile back.

• The title was changed to Texas Tech & Texas A&M University Game Should Have Spot Reserved At Jerry World

Archived