Who has the best queso in Houston? Restaurants and recipes!

it ain't queso if it has cream of soup in it.........i guarantee there is not 1 quality tex-mex restaurant in town that would use that in their queso.........

This is not a tex-mex recipe. This recipe is from Mexico. Muchas gracias to my friends in Piedras Negras for sharing their recipe.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not a tex-mex recipe. This recipe is from Mexico. Muchas gracias to my friends in Piedras Negras for sharing their recipe.

My recipe I have that includes cream of celery soup is from a Mexican restaurant. And it's more of a traditional Mexican place than a Tex-Mex restaurant. I've also detected the flavor that the cream of celery soup (either that or celery that's been very finely chopped) in the queso in a couple of Tex-Mex places in Houston.

• 4 years later...

If you like cheese as much as I do and you like to cook, I have a recipe for you! I had family over for a dinner party so being the wanna be chef that I am I went to Central Market with an open mind. It was a Saturday so they have all the samples and cooking going on around the store. I was walking around coming up with ideas when I see a guy with a crowd of people around him. He was sampling some yummy looking mac n cheese. I'm not kidding you, I have never tasted anything so yummy in my entire life with the exception of some risotto in Italy. It was amazing! So he handed me the recipe card and it had a whole bumch of unusual cheeses. I asked someone in the cheese departement to get me what I needed for the recipe. When I went to check out, it was seriously like $80 bucks for some pasta and cheese. I was shocked! But it is REALLY worth it and it makes a lot.

Sorry for the long story, TX Architect, if you want the recipe email me.

Would you kindly pm me the recipe? Thank you. :)

Great thread to resurrect.

As far as restaurants I have to go with Escalante's. I like that they give you a side dish of meat, onions and peppers that you can add to the queso according to your preference. (I hate onions in my queso).

I keep it simple at home and make it with the HEB Queso Blanco cheese. It"s like white Velvetta with some spices already added . Heat and mix in a small amount of milk to make it creamier and throw in a bunch of sliced jalapenos. (I like it muy caliente). If it's around Hatch chili time I will use those instead of jalapenos. .

I like El Real's, but Xuco Xicana's is even better. Chef Jones uses a processed cheese from Mexico that is a mix of yellow and white cheeses as opposed to El Real's Velveeta. Really good stuff.

I agree. That is some really good stuff? Tried his wings yet? They are so good but so hot you will cry.

• 9 months later...

There is a restaurant in Tyler called Jalapeno Tree and they have queso called pappa bear dip. It's richy creamy yellow cheese with seasoned beef mixed in and, the best part, it's served in a bread bowl! It's so good my wife and I drive to Tyler occasionally just to get it! Anyone know of a local place with something similar? Jalapeno Tree is a chain in north and east TX but none down here. :-(

I'm glad this topic was revised--

I recommend trying the queso at El Paraiso ------------- it's creamy white with lots of green chillies and really spicy!

As expats to West Africa we had to bring 6 months worth of supplies---I bought cases of canned Cheese Soup, cream of mushroom soup, canned milk, and cans of salsa plus canned chipolte peppers.

The recipe was 2 canned cheese soup, 1 can cream mushroom, 1 can milk, 1 can salsa then only 1/2 can of the chipolte,chopped fine. It was devine smoky heat. All the expats loved it.

Archived