Tidelands Motor Inn At 6500 South Main St.

GoAtomic

This place must have really been "swank" in it's day. Can't you just picture all the hipsters in the Cocktail Lounge sipping Martini's and hearing the latest Henry Mancini album? See the new movie "Bobby" and it will really take you to 1968. :P This place hits it head on. Could have been filmed here!

I can't get over the Totie Fields photo! She was a riot I'm tellin ya.

Hip culture is a facinating thing . Here was Houston , Texas in 1960 . A real backwater as opposed to being a percieved one . Less than 5 miles down the the road from the Tidelands back then South Main ended and you were out in the pastures . Southern , blue-collar . most niteclubs were country dancehalls and beer joints . Yet here was this little pocket of hip 60's lounge culture . I'm curious where else would young Rat-Pack style hipsters stuck in Houston in 1960 hang out ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trader Vics at the Shamrock perhaps.

I can't speak from experience, but my guess is that Houston wasn't that much of a backwater. In the early 1960s Houston was booming and was probably seen as a very dynamic place.

Clearly not a backwater.....Houston was getting a lot of attention in the '60's due to the national focus on going to the moon and the interest in NASA....and it always was the oil and petrochemical epicenter of the U.S..

Clearly not a backwater.....Houston was getting a lot of attention in the '60's due to the national focus on going to the moon and the interest in NASA....and it always was the oil and petrochemical epicenter of the U.S..

Yep Trader Vics would have been one of the cool places. Here's some super cool places in the late 60s:

• How about catching an Astros or Oilers game in their new stadium, the Astrodome?
  • Or hang out at the newly opened Astroworld across the street?
  • Catch a show at the Sam Houston Coliseum. Jimi Hendrix played there in Aug '68.
  • Mother Blues on Congress featured soul, rock, r&b, mini-skirt revues and dancing!
  • The Swinging Door on Travis had Go Go floor shows every 15 minutes. Named one of the latest rages in night spots by Swank Magazine in 1967.
  • Anheuser-Busch and Falstaff both had breweries with tours here!
  • More tiki flavor over at the Polyasian West on Westheimer; serving tropical beverages like the Bali Hai, Mai Tai and the Voodoo Bowl. Yum!

432f_1_b.JPG

i made a better scan of the postcard i posted earlier - yours doesn't have the arches over the top floor - do you know what year yours is from? this one is postmarked 1968...

tide001_fr.png

tide001_bk.png

That's outragious! No one would have ever known a 4th floor was later added. I always assumed it was made "as is". The arches really gave it that whimsical, flowing appearance. Cool.

I still think it was very Jetson's-like for its time. Space age Houston! :)

I went ahead and merged this with another thread about the Tidelands.

The repeating arches were a very typical MCM motif. There are still a number of examples in Houston. One is a car repair place on the north side of Westheimer not far from Highland Village.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I probably ran into you at the Shamrock pub.

The bar in the hotel on Montrose was at the Plaza Hotel. It was in the basement of the wing adjacent to the street. I could be wrong on this, but I think the name was Che's, at least at one point.

It was called Chaucers in the mid 70's. I had several drinks, and hangovers from that bar.

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have any information or anecdotes about Houstonian William "Bill" Newkirk? He was the talent booker for the Tidelands Club in the 1960s. Newkirk was known and respected in national entertainment circles and was written up in Billboard several times during that era.

He also was a Houston sportscaster and was the pressbox game announcer at Rice Stadium for Owl football games in the mid-60s. I believe he announced the first televised Houston baseball game (from Buff Stadium) in 1949.

The Newkirks were family friends and I went to school with his son. I remember meeting Totie Fields at their house when she came to Houston to play the Tidelands. As best I as I can recall Newkirk divorced his wife (maiden name Elledge?) and moved to Los Angeles in the early 70s...

Anyone familiar with him?

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 1.53.00 PM.png

• The title was changed to Bill Newkirk- Talent Agent At The Tidelands Club
  • The title was changed to Tidelands Motor Inn At 6500 South Main St.

Archived