Waterhill Patio Homes At Navigation Blvd.

Guest danax

I like the area and that parcel is on a decent sized hill, with Navigation in front (not a very busy street, although truck traffic might be something to consider) so any view is not going to be trumped. I am thinking any trains are grade-separated nearby too so horns might only sound like distant whales, instead of trumpeting elephants.

I'd compare this area to an eastern version of Rice Military, minus the "convenience" and retail magnetism of the West End, which you'll pay double for, another one of those things that people seem to gladly overpay for. That's why people own cars. You could take a taxi twice a week to Whole Foods from Navigation and still come out ahead. And the RM area still has car-hop crack dealers on several corners, which you're not likely going to have to deal with around Nav.

As Niche mentioned, this pin on the map represents a scouting expedition of sorts for townhouse construction, although there's a project completed on Sidney not too far from there between Canal and Harrisburg and actually one much further east on Hedrick too. But this one will stand alone in the Navigation area for now, like a long-stemmed lotus blooming from the murky bottom. The pond is vast and fertile however, and the seeds are being carried on the winds of change. And if the Bayou ever realizes just a piece of its potential, that nabe might really take off. It might take a long time for the clusters to starting touching like Rice Military though. The progression seems to be empty parcels get built on first, then at some point the teardowns begin, but prices will have had to increase a lot for that to happen. The Clinton Dr area nearby is a similar scene, a few years ahead, and I believe they're still in the empty parcel stages over there.

As Niche mentioned, this pin on the map represents a scouting expedition of sorts for townhouse construction, although there's a project completed on Sidney not too far from there between Canal and Harrisburg and actually one much further east on Hedrick too.
The ones on Sidney sure weren't selling well last yr.

Is this implying that they'll need luck?

I'm not sure, just yet. Like Danax mentioned, they're built on a sizable hill, and I suspect that some of the units up against Navigation might have views of Turkey Bend if they're tall enough and at the right angle. Water views are hard to come by in any part of town, so those units would be really hot. Honestly, I always knew that this area along Navigation was destined for a residential boom, and I figured that this might be one of the first sites to get filled in, but I would never have guessed that it would've happened so soon.

But my primary concern in wishing them luck is to substantiate and justify higher land values throughout the East End, where I'm a property owner.

Its already has an option pending. Also, any realtor that lists anything as residential in 77011 as the "Ship Channel" submarket is shooting themselves in the foot.

HAHAHAHAHA. Ship Channel submarket. Priceless.

Guest danax
Its already has an option pending. Also, any realtor that lists anything as residential in 77011 as the "Ship Channel" submarket is shooting themselves in the foot.

Agreed that at this point, The Ship Channel doesn't conjure positive images in most minds, but it could be a positive designation at some point. Imagine having views of the turning basin on one side, distant DT on another, and the petrochemical skyline on another. It would be a truly unique residential setting.

If this sells for $185K it would be a positive sign for the area. If they ultimately tear down the structures and build townhomes on the 10K sq ft lot, then a lot of those typical 5K lots nearby with homes could sell for maybe 100K and still be viable as teardowns, and we'd might see a lot of redevelopment. Not sure if my assessment is correct though.

Agreed that at this point, The Ship Channel doesn't conjure positive images in most minds, but it could be a positive designation at some point. Imagine having views of the turning basin on one side, distant DT on another, and the petrochemical skyline on another. It would be a truly unique residential setting.

If this sells for $185K it would be a positive sign for the area. If they ultimately tear down the structures and build townhomes on the 10K sq ft lot, then a lot of those typical 5K lots nearby with homes could sell for maybe 100K and still be viable as teardowns, and we'd might see a lot of redevelopment. Not sure if my assessment is correct though.

Yeah, I guarantee that there will be a day in the future that the Ship Channel becomes viewed as an asset that appeals to homeowners. Frankly, it already appeals to me. But for the time being, it is not a good point to advertise.

I doubt that this'll sell for $185k.

i passed by the site yesterday. constructions is still in its infancy stage. i see the potential, location wise. it is a 5 minute drive down navigation to minute maid park. and the site is not inside "the hood". it's basically on a wide, commercial industrial thouroghway which doesn't pose any traffic congestion issues. still the problem of available retail in the area, but hopefully the lockwood/harrisburg site will soon turn into the big retail shopping center it is planned for. it maybe a little ahead of it's time, but time will catch up and this area will be very desirable IMO in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

The Waterhill owners are friends of mine and are young, aggressive guys with good insight. They're smart because this will be the next midtown type situation a little down the road. Look at Washington Ave. Same thing. All the surrounding areas of downtown will eventually be built out and urban. I think it's pretty cool. Places like the 6th Ward are being preserved so at least it's not complete demolition.

do these have bayou views?

I trespassed when they were doing site work and climbed to the top of one of the dirt mounds that was situated about a third of the way back from Navigation. Try as I might, I could not see water over the burnt-out building on the opposite side of Navigation. ...but from the vantage point of a three-story townhome right at the leading edge of the property...who knows?

I know some of them over there do. Or it sure looks like they do from downtown. Seems like that would be a nice view.

They should take better advantage of the bayou scapes. Especially the part of the bayou inside 59. Seems like such a waste of land.

I trespassed when they were doing site work and climbed to the top of one of the dirt mounds that was situated about a third of the way back from Navigation. Try as I might, I could not see water over the burnt-out building on the opposite side of Navigation. ...but from the vantage point of a three-story townhome right at the leading edge of the property...who knows?

Would these townhomes have good views of the bayou or are they priced in the high $100's because they will have a panoramic view of all the scrap metal businesses on the north side of Buffalo Bayou?

Would these townhomes have good views of the bayou or are they priced in the high $100's because they will have a panoramic view of all the scrap metal businesses on the north side of Buffalo Bayou?

You're way off. The scrap metal facility you mention is indeed along the north side of the bayou, but is between York and Lockwood.

If any sliver of the Bayou is visible, it will be part of the old Turkey Bend, which is now used by barges to access General Stevedores' Navigation Terminal and Cemex's concrete plant.

• 3 weeks later...

just drove by there a few mins ago. the pressboard sheathing is not a good sign if a buyer is looking for something quality. hope no synthetic stucco is involved, if moisture gets behind there it will just fall apart.

M01A0016.jpg

Archived