The Woodlands Is A Hot Spot For Wealthy Mexicans

TAK

what makes you think all wealthy people like an eclectic environment? i've found that most wealthy people prefer a contrived environment.

Bach I gotta agree mostly with VIC on this one. While the wealthy want the immediate block their house sits on to be a "certain way," they love the eclectic for their shopping and dining. Its all about being entertained and having a story to tell or share. Hole in the wall antique stores, ethnic food, upscale chef-owned restaurants, artsy farts areas, decorative centers, galleries with parties, true upscale shopping, exclusive clubs etc. A general buzz of something new keeps them going. It all has to be there, within a few miles, for the truly wealthy (not the stretching upper middles) to want to live there. Carlton Woods would be social death to most wealthy Loopers. Nice,stupidly big house on an inexpensive lot and everything, but nothing to do and far from anything that is different. In other words, a bike ride to the park, a high school play and dinner at the Cheese Cake Factory doesn't do it for them. And to drive into town all the time for that...not happening.

Now for the wealthy Mexican it might be perfect. They are used to living far away from the big cities and ANYTHING. They have to, to survive. So a haven close to nice basics is just what they are looking for.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what makes you think all wealthy people like an eclectic environment? i've found that most wealthy people prefer a contrived environment.

True, not everyone flaunts their $.

I was imagining someone like Joel Osteen and wife. He always brings up Galleria shopping as the norm for her. Wonder what their home/mansion looks like? Bet its anything but modest.

True, not everyone flaunts their $.

I was imagining someone like Joel Osteen and wife. He always brings up Galleria shopping as the norm for her. Wonder what their home/mansion looks like? Bet its anything but modest.

i live two blocks down from the osteens, and i would hardly call their house a "mansion." relatively modest house, although it does sit on two lots.

He must have it sheltered. It isn't on HCAD.

It is listed under "current owner" in HCAD in Tanglewood, appraised at almost $2.7 million. Not sure what officially constitutes a mansion, but the property (probably more than just the main house) is over 5,600 sq. ft.

Funny, it's also listed as "c/o Summit Trust."

And off topic, but does anyone know about the house that was there before the Osteen's built the current one (c. 1995)?

I think the street he lives on is Doliver, in the Tanglewood area. By the way, as a member of his church for over 7 years, I have had the opportunity to speak with him alone on several occasions and he does not flaunt his money. He's down to Earth and drives a suburban. I don't have a problem with him being rich. He made his money by the books he's written. He doesn't even draw a salary from the church. I live not far from his brother Paul. He lives in Magnolia and I'm in The Woodlands. Joel, Dodie and John used to live in Humble. Joel graduated form Kingwood High...fyi.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about the ignorance displayed by some posters on this subject. I bet they haven't ever spoken to a Mexican, wealthy or otherwise.

I lived in The Woodlands from 2004 until five months ago (have since moved back to Germany), and let me tell you, without the Mexicans I played soccer with (they included millionaires as well as janitors), I would have hated my time there.

It's really sad to see how at least the fly-over part of the US has become ever more know-nothing since 9/11 especially.

Wonder if there is a way someone (not media) could do a head count of just how many new residents from Mexico are now living there? Probably over hype. If it were 7-8 families that would be enough to create this story. Does the article mean this as good, bad, ugly? You also have to wonder why they are only mentioning people of Mexican origin? There must be people of all nationalities througout this area?

Was the article mean't to freak out and ruffle feathers like "The British are coming" or what? or was it meant to stir happiness amongst the community? Oy Vey! :mellow:

Wonder if there is a way someone (not media) could do a head count of just how many new residents from Mexico are now living there? Probably over hype. If it were 7-8 families that would be enough to create this story. Does the article mean this as good, bad, ugly? You also have to wonder why they are only mentioning people of Mexican origin? There must be people of all nationalities througout this area?

Was the article mean't to freak out and ruffle feathers like "The British are coming" or what? or was it meant to stir happiness amongst the community? Oy Vey! :mellow:

We had three Mexican National families in our "little subdivison" of about 50 houses.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about the ignorance displayed by some posters on this subject. I bet they haven't ever spoken to a Mexican, wealthy or otherwise.

I lived in The Woodlands from 2004 until five months ago (have since moved back to Germany), and let me tell you, without the Mexicans I played soccer with (they included millionaires as well as janitors), I would have hated my time there.

It's really sad to see how at least the fly-over part of the US has become ever more know-nothing since 9/11 especially.

In actuality, only some are Mexicans. Many are from other countries in South America. I know one Venezuelan who is now off to a university on a soccer scholarship. Tremendous talent!

• 3 years later...

I can no believe you are so ignorant, Mexico is full of what you call "Caucasians".... just like US Mexico has a lot of European Immigrants, they entered trough the port of Veraruz, the difference is that we are highly educated a we don't try to be "Caucasians" we are proudly Mexicans I am blonder and taller than most of the average American girls 6'1 I have blue eyes and all of my siblings as well , but I speak 4 languages, my family studied and graduated from Harvard so what do you mean by Caucasians? .. OMG We would never try to mimic you, most of you are literally red necks... you wear all day wear flip flops and sorts and never dressed nicely, not even for parties (at least in Texas)

If We come to buy in upscale boutiques its because its closer than Europe, we now how to dress and we have excellent taste, we use European brands not American the ones that goes to Abercrombie are Mexicans with new money..., Neither my family of r fiends would ever want to have an American look what you called 'CAUCASIAN' We are proudly Mexicans, My family has millions in assets all around the states,

Shame on you , most of you does not even how to use the silver ware and chew gum all day and look cheap NO WAY WE HAVE CLASS there are millions of wite Mexicans... when my little brother friends comes to have dinner with us 'ALL CAUCASIAN' none of them even now how to use a spoon they speak with mouth open and it is grouse to see them eating... SO NO WAY MY DEAR...

Someone may have already commented on this, but I thought I would help clarify it anyway. Many people in the USA would be very surprised to meet a blue eyed light colored Italian from the mountains of Venezuela. They might also be amazed to see a Chinese person speaking Spanish. The latin culture is as diversified as ours, with accents, with second languages and with color. I know a green eyed light brown latina who has outstanding features that I just could not believe when I first met her. To this day, her eyes intrigue me. The whitest people seem to be from Italy but I know there are many very light Spanish folks also.

I can no believe you are so ignorant, Mexico is full of what you call "Caucasians".... just like US Mexico has a lot of European Immigrants, they entered trough the port of Veraruz, the difference is that we are highly educated a we don't try to be "Caucasians" we are proudly Mexicans I am blonder and taller than most of the average American girls 6'1 I have blue eyes and all of my siblings as well , but I speak 4 languages, my family studied and graduated from Harvard so what do you mean by Caucasians? .. OMG We would never try to mimic you, most of you are literally red necks... you wear all day wear flip flops and sorts and never dressed nicely, not even for parties (at least in Texas)

If We come to buy in upscale boutiques its because its closer than Europe, we now how to dress and we have excellent taste, we use European brands not American the ones that goes to Abercrombie are Mexicans with new money..., Neither my family of r fiends would ever want to have an American look what you called 'CAUCASIAN' We are proudly Mexicans, My family has millions in assets all around the states,

Shame on you , most of you does not even how to use the silver ware and chew gum all day and look cheap NO WAY WE HAVE CLASS there are millions of wite Mexicans... when my little brother friends comes to have dinner with us 'ALL CAUCASIAN' none of them even now how to use a spoon they speak with mouth open and it is grouse to see them eating... SO NO WAY MY DEAR...

wealthy mexicans or darker caucasians.....

most of your hispanics who grew up in a caucasian environment take on characteristics of whites anyway....

Look at ones who are Republican..especially that one who ran for mayor not long ago.....

Your right everytyime im at The Galleria i hear people at Louis Vuitton, Gucci , specially at Abercrombie & Fitch speaking spanish. i asked one lady one time at Abercrombie & Fitch if she was from Mexico she said she was , so i asked her why they travel so far to shop she simply reply because most stores in The Galleria are found in Mexico but here in Houston is different, safety wise.

I find it funny that you took that time to apply the exact same message verbatim to 3 separate comments as well as post it individually. I think one post would suffice for whatever ill-formed point you're trying to make. Anyway, the pervasiveness of your arrogance lends support to the possibility that you might, indeed, be the opposite of what you claim.

For all your braggadocio, you manage to only set yourself up as classless and haughty. The reality is that you ARE Caucasian. I don't think you "try to be" one. It is a racial group. "Mexican" refers to nationality. "Hispanic" is a cultural subset. Methinks you need to learn the difference between the three before becoming defensive. Perhaps you should step off of whatever high horse you're currently riding and come back down to earth.

• The title was changed to The Woodlands Is A Hot Spot For Wealthy Mexicans

Archived