Most under-rated fast food or casual dining restaurants in Houston

houstonmacbro

Hope this topic hasn't been done before ... seems there was a somewhat similar food thread, but not this particular theme.

No particular order:

Schlotsky's - really good bread and the original toasted sandwhiches

Luby's - certain locations and at certain times have really good food

Chipotle's - McDonald's ownership early on gave them a bad impression, but they have really decent food for really good prices

Raisin Canes - excellent fresh battered chicken strips, fries, slaw, and lemonade (that's about their entire menu); not enough locations to make a dent in the Houston eating scene and so they have really low exposure

Marble Slab Creamery - Hepatitis scare at Katy location really does a number on people's perceptions about all locations.

Agree on Schlotzsky's and Luby's...

...and I'll add Murphy's Deli to the list. I'm a big fan of the turkey muffaletta and the veggie pita pocket. I haven't been able to bring myself to try any other sandwiches, because I like those two so much! I also like the Texas caviar (black-eyed peas w/ jalapenos) and they also offer some other good sides, like taverna salad, greek salads, potato salad, pasta salad, etc.

I wish we had one near the house.

Texadelphia makes a pretty good burger also.

Hated the fries there, at least the one by Mama's Cafe off Westheimer.

Mushiest French Fries ever. :blink:

Hope this topic hasn't been done before ... seems there was a somewhat similar food thread, but not this particular theme.

Biba's Greek Restaurant Very cozy place with big tables and comfort food.

I love feta cheese! :P

Edited by Pumapayam

Mama's Cafe on Westheimer, and Niko Niko's on Montrose. Texadelphia makes a pretty good burger also.

I wasn't impressed with Mama's (eaten there twice for breakfast), but I'll agree witih Niko Niko's. Yum.

Wanted to try Texadelphia and lived within walking distance of one when I lived in Westchase, but never got to it. It's worth a try?

Hated the fries there, at least the one by Mama's Cafe off Westheimer.

Mushiest French Fries ever. :blink:

Biba's Greek Restaurant Very cozy place with big tables and comfort food.

I love feta cheese! :P

Another place I've wanted to try.

I like Taco Cabana for fast food. That shrimp casadilla with chipotle peach salsa was great during lent.

I like Taco Cabana, specially around 2-3 a.m. when coming back home after a long night. Another not as quick but good cheap option is Los Cucos, now with plenty of locations in our area.

How about the Pepperoni rolls at Double Dave's. Another personal favorite are Chicken wings from many of the local alternatives.

When trying to be healthy, La Madeleine or Cafe Express always have plenty of good options.

Macbro, you need to give Mama's one more shot and get either the Hofbrau, which is the signature dish for breakfast. or ask for the Uncle Willie's special, it is NOT on the menu, but they know what you are talking about.

I'll give the Hofbrau another try, but the Uncle Willie's Special just sounds ... well .. gross.

i miss jaliscience on montrose (and the bullet holes in the windows provided a unique ambience :P )

God, that place brings back memories! We used to always go there after painting the town red!

Its the only place I can say I saw people up there singing and dancing while the combo played and barfing at the same time! Not from the food but from all night partying!

Outragious! :lol:

Sorry, I thought La Jaliensce was still there. Although that reminds me of my all time favorite under-rated, good, cheap, fast food drive thru: Rally's. I rally, rally miss them. Good, cheap, fast, friendly. I have no idea why they tanked, they always had a lot of business.

marmer

People always say that when I tell them! Yes, I'm serious. Pancho's is the best.

psssssssssssstttttt ! Kim...................you need to get out more. There is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY better Tex-Mex in this town. ;):P:lol:

Edited by TJones

Which location? The Pancho's in League City actually used to be 1/2 decent but it closed down.

Now it's something like "Peppers Steakhouse".

The only thing I liked at La Jaleancie was the Agucate Burrito. Lived on those while at UH. And their picked carrots.

Edited by MidtownCoog

psssssssssssstttttt ! Kim...................you need to get out more. There is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY better Tex-Mex in this town. ;):P:lol:

I gotta stick up for the Panchos. It is not expensive, and the sofa-pillows are yummy ! The only problem is some of the locations are kinda... uh..... not as nice as they could be.

I used to have a large collection of the glasses that the jello came in :lol:

China Bear on I45 North (Airtex exit I believe ... can't miss it, looks like this huge Chinese temple). I know there are a lot of people that abhor buffet style dining, but this place rocks. They have a lot of things on the menu and lunch is about $9 or so which includes a drink. Dinner hour is more expensive (I think around $11).

I'm really disappointed that anyone would even mention any kind of national chain, when the home grown dining options are so fantastic.

My favorite casual places

Barnaby's on Fairview

Niko Niko's

Cali Sandwich (banh mi, vietnamese) on Travis near Elgin

Empire Cafe

Don'Key in Pasadena

Tan Tan in Bellaire Chinatown

House of Pies

Edited by Ian Rees