Most under-rated fast food or casual dining restaurants in Houston

houstonmacbro

Don'Key in Pasadena

Any place in Pasadena that makes a list on HAIF piques my interest. Tell me about it. What do they serve? What's it like?

Btw, I'll contribute one in that direction in exchange for your info. Mine is called the Purple Turtle, and is located right near Sylvan Beach Park in La Porte.

Reviews:

Yahoo! Local

Citysearch

Purple Turtle Coffee Company

It is a good destination. La Porte itself is a quirky little town. I like it, too.

Any place in Pasadena that makes a list on HAIF piques my interest. Tell me about it. What do they serve? What's it like?

It is a shack of a restaurant built from recycled materials, a crumbling parking lot, and the outside smells like sewage. You walk in through an obnoxious kicker bar with plenty of plant workers drinking starting at noon, and suffocating cigarette smoke. The benches in the bar are built of stacked bud light cases. You begin to wonder about the efficacy of hepatitis vaccines. The hostess guides you through the narrow corridors to your table.

It is the best tex-mex in Houston, hands down. Everything on the menu is great. My favorite is the heart-stopping pile of cheese and meat called the Sobroso.

It is a good destination. La Porte itself is a quirky little town. I like it, too.

I hate La Porte. It's the most boring and lifeless of all Houston suburbs. I've been living here with family for the past year. I'm moving back to Midtown on Tuesday, and I haven't been this excited in months. :) But I'll try the restaurant.

Also,

Comprehensive User Submitted Houston Restaurant Reviews

http://b4-u-eat.com/

*Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits. The Cajun spicy chicken is off the chain, and you get more side dish variety from cajun rice to red beans and rice. Nawlins hates it cuz they have the original Popeyes.

*Chick-Fil-A. Points off for overpricing on small portions of meat but the chicken sandwiches are on point. I started eating there a bit more ever since I got addicted to them Waffle Potato Fries; U can't get this good s*** anywhere else.

*Whataburger.

*Dairy Queen. Chicken strips and Texas Toast. BTW, does anyone know why DQ has Texas roots? I ask because it seems like DQ has a Texas connection perdominately (Texas Dairy Quuen logo).

*Chipotle. My cousin took me there one time, since then the burritos are a throwback to when I lived in the Bay Area where the giant tortilla wrap was invented.

*Harlon's BBQ

*Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits. The Cajun spicy chicken is off the chain, and you get more side dish variety from cajun rice to red beans and rice. Nawlins hates it cuz they have the original Popeyes.

*Chick-Fil-A. Points off for overpricing on small portions of meat but the chicken sandwiches are on point. I started eating there a bit more ever since I got addicted to them Waffle Potato Fries; U can't get this good s*** anywhere else.

*Whataburger.

*Dairy Queen. Chicken strips and Texas Toast. BTW, does anyone know why DQ has Texas roots? I ask because it seems like DQ has a Texas connection perdominately (Texas Dairy Quuen logo).

*Chipotle. My cousin took me there one time, since then the burritos are a throwback to when I lived in the Bay Area where the giant tortilla wrap was invented.

*Harlon's BBQ

Pretty much agree with you on everything on this list except DQ. Haven't eaten at one in years. Also, tried Harlon's once (I think the one in the Galleria and another at the airport ) and it was a mistake. Maybe the original, or full service location offers better fare?

I hate La Porte. It's the most boring and lifeless of all Houston suburbs. I've been living here with family for the past year. I'm moving back to Midtown on Tuesday, and I haven't been this excited in months. :) But I'll try the restaurant.

Also,

Comprehensive User Submitted Houston Restaurant Reviews

http://b4-u-eat.com/

What I like about La Porte is that most of it isn't actually a suburb. It was at one time a rather large town in the context of the region, and parts of it retain the charm. Main Street has in the past several years really got some momentum (certainly more momentum than the Main Street in Midtown Houston), and almost all of the new shops and restaurants are unique and independently-owned. The town was platted to basically have three gridded residential extensions from a central public/institutional/recreational wedge...an aspect I like. It has really really good parks, including a lot of publicly-owned waterfront, a nice new library and public recreational facilities, and even a few historical gems that are still in productive use. On top of all that, it's more demographically diverse than Midtown will ever be (and in that sense is more like Midtown was prior to yuppification). It has a growing employment base, and while much of it is blue collar, it is also picking up some folks that have been priced out of Seabrook and are looking for the next coastal community up the road. The whole mix seems to be producing some quirkyness that appeals to me.

But boring? How could a place surrounded by all that industry...all that productive energy and movement...be boring? And how could it be more boring than Pearland, Kingwood, Cypress, or Katy!? That's just beyond me.

I'll definitely take a crack at Don'key. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by TheNiche

What I like about La Porte is that most of it isn't actually a suburb. It was at one time a rather large town in the context of the region, and parts of it retain the charm. Main Street has in the past several years really got some momentum (certainly more momentum than the Main Street in Midtown Houston), and almost all of the new shops and restaurants are unique and independently-owned. The town was platted to basically have three gridded residential extensions from a central public/institutional/recreational wedge...an aspect I like. It has really really good parks, including a lot of publicly-owned waterfront, a nice new library and public recreational facilities, and even a few historical gems that are still in productive use. On top of all that, it's more demographically diverse than Midtown will ever be (and in that sense is more like Midtown was prior to yuppification). It has a growing employment base, and while much of it is blue collar, it is also picking up some folks that have been priced out of Seabrook and are looking for the next coastal community up the road. The whole mix seems to be producing some quirkyness that appeals to me.

It has some quaint aspects, but it's just not the city to me. It was a small town at one point, but today it's mostly subdivisions. There's a couple of cute blocks downtown, but the center of the town is really Wal-Mart. I just feel suffocated here. I lived on Hermann Park for 5 years before this, and I spent every weekend in central Houston in high school before that. I hate being away from my favorite restaurants, stores, places, etc. I guess all the suburbs are equally boring to me, because I've already been a regular at my favorite restaurants and stores for many years.. everyone knows my name there.

Also I work in the TMC and my girl works in San Felipe Plaza; the commute is a real pain in the ass.

Midtown isn't as exciting as Montrose, but I wanted to be within walking distance of the train to get to work. Anyway, our place is in lower midtown nearer the museum district (it's catty-corner to the Fiesta, on Eagle St. I started a thread about my search for an apartment here ). It's a bit more lively than upper midtown near the CBD.

Edited by woolie

Also I work in the TMC and my girl works in San Felipe Plaza; the commute is a real pain in the ass.

Yeah, I almost bought an old Victorian-style home with my former g/f that was on Bayridge in Morgan's Point, one home off the water, with beach access, and yet on a spot that was 27 feet in elevation. ...but I work in the Energy Corridor area. Thankfully, our generous bid was mysteriously refused. It didn't take more than a few months after that to figure out that we needed to go our seperate ways. Not that there was any animosity, but it still would've been akward and the commute would've become harder to justify.

Screwy how each of us is placed approximately where the other kind of wants to be, eh?