Dallas Lights Up another one

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dallas does come off as a bit plastic but, like it or not, the skyline is one the nations most recognizable and identifiable skylines... NYC, Chicago, Seattle, San Fran, and Dallas are among the most famous American skylines. Of course, Dallas' skyline was made famoust by the tv show, DALLAS.

Having lived in most of those cities mentioned, 20 year old t.v. show or not, I don't believe Dallas belongs on that list for one second. Los Angeles' and Las Vegas' skylines are more recognizable than Dallas' too. More d'illusions of grandeur coming from the plex means nothing. Yawn.

Having lived in most of those cities mentioned, 20 year old t.v. show or not, I don't believe Dallas belongs on that list for one second. Los Angeles' and Las Vegas' skylines are more recognizable than Dallas' too. More d'illusions of grandeur coming from the plex means nothing. Yawn.

Yeah, I've got to agree, and whatever fame was achieved from the TV series is generational anyway.

Another Houstonian going out of his way in a futile attempt at putting Dallas in its place. Yawn.

Whether you like it or not, Dallas has done a good job of marketing its skyline. It helps to have unique, at least somewhat daring architecture. Reunion Tower and BOA are iconic symbols of the city; whether you like it or not, people know that those towers are Dallas. And yes, the lighting helps.

Another Houstonian going out of his way in a futile attempt at putting Dallas in its place. Yawn.

Whether you like it or not, Dallas has done a good job of marketing its skyline. It helps to have unique, at least somewhat daring architecture. Reunion Tower and BOA are iconic symbols of the city; whether you like it or not, people know that those towers are Dallas. And yes, the lighting helps.

Yeah, they're iconic, but probably not to a lot of folks outside of Dallas. I'll bet that if you took a poll of American citizens, less than half of respondents aged 18 to 35 would be able to peg Texas as the state in which JFK was shot, much less the City of Dallas, and even further down the list that there is any tower in memorium of the event.

As for BOA, I'd never heard anything at all about it until I actually went to Dallas and saw it myself, except that I didn't have any context to place it in, so it was just 'that building with the green neon trim'. I was actually more impressed by Fountain Place.

I'm not trying to diss Dallas or make any comparisons to Houston, because neither of us have skylines that are even remotely as recognizable as the others you mentioned. That doesn't mean that either of them are bad, either. I think both are beautiful, even if they are underrated by the American public IMO. It is our cross to bear, being among the new sunbelt cities...

i'm not sure whether Dallas has done any marketing. i am familiar with reunion tower over the years of watching the soap opera as it was in their credits. As for the BOA, I had to look that up because i didn't know what it was. IMO, I wouldn't consider it iconic. the empire state is iconic.

Hey, Dallas doesn't need ME to put it in it's place. The rest of the world (everywhere outside Dallas) is doing a pretty good job of ignoring it. :P

Written with love. kiss. kiss.

i'm not sure whether Dallas as done any marketing. i am familiar with reunion tower over the years of watching the soap opera as it was in their credits. As for the BOA, I had to look that up because i didn't know what it was. IMO, I wouldn't consider it iconic. the empire state is iconic.

:lol:

I did, too. Take away the Reunion golf ball and most wouldn't know Dallas' skyline from Oklahoma City's. Same applies to Houston's. The view from Memorial may be recognizable to some, but a southern or eastern view probably is not.

LA...nah.

Atlanta...nope.

Phoenix...do they have one?

NY, Chicago, Seattle, Vegas, SF...yup.

Hey, Dallas doesn't need ME to put it in it's place. The rest of the world (everywhere outside Dallas) is doing a pretty good job of ignoring it. :P

Written with love. kiss. kiss.

I respectfully disagree. I am not a world traveler by any means, but I have been to Europe, Hong Kong and down to Oz; in my experiece, other than Asia, people are well aware of Dallas, at least as a stereotype. Traveling around the US, people have surprisingly strong opinions about Big D: the Cowboys, GW Bush, Mavs, that we're all oil rich :) and of course, the Kennedy thing, resonate with the people I meet.

People don't always have good things to say about Dallas, but to say that Big D is ignored does not align with my experience. I am wondering, Mister X, when traveling, unless you tell people you are from Dallas, how do you know what they think of Dallas?

I am wondering, Mister X, when traveling, unless you tell people you are from Dallas, how do you know what they think of Dallas?

I am mostly going by the fact that the topic of Dallas has rarely or never come up in normal conversation in my entire life anywhere outside Texas unless I brought it up for some reason. I used to live there, and sometimes I would reminisce. I would hear people talk about NY LA SF and Chi and maybe places in Europe or Asia, but rarely Dallas or Houston. And certainly no buildings in Texas were ever mentioned... except the Astrodome during Katrina.

However, while living in LA and SF, I seem to always here about Houston on t.v. for some reason. Unfortunately, It was mostly always associated with a negitive news story... Enron, Andrea Yates, killer cheerleader mom, refinery explosions, superbowl, Hurricane evacuations, shelter for New Orleans, ect. The only time I remember hearing anything about Dallas on t.v. during my years in California was that really hot summer you guys had a few years ago.

Houston just got more national attention 3 days ago. CNN spent several hours showing NASA during the building shooting incident. (great, more weird publicity)

I know people associate Dallas with the JFK assassination, but I have never in my life heard anyone talk about Dallas when the subject of JFK comes up, not that it comes up often, mind you.

So if I go by my own experiences, if people outside Texas think about Dallas, they keep it to themselves. That includes CNN, Fox Opinion Channel, and MSNBC.

I did, too. Take away the Reunion golf ball and most wouldn't know Dallas' skyline from Oklahoma City's. Same applies to Houston's. The view from Memorial may be recognizable to some, but a southern or eastern view probably is not.

LA...nah.

Atlanta...nope.

Phoenix...do they have one?

NY, Chicago, Seattle, Vegas, SF...yup.

The only reason I think LA's skyline is recognizable all over the world is because of that white cylinder shaped building (the city's tallest). That building, (and the rest of L.A's skyline of course) has appeared in countless movies and t.v. shows over the years. Not to mention that the big white building in LA (whatever the hell it's called) was one of the buildings that the aliens in "Independence Day" chose to zap first, along with the Empire State Bld. I remember thinking when I saw that movie that this LA building was being put on the same level as the ESB, (which it isn't of course).

L.A's skyline is one of the lamest in the nation. It's drab and flat. BUT it's only 8 miles from the entertainment capital of the world, so it gets a lot of undeserved attention.

Miami's skyline may not be famous now but I think it's up and coming.

The only reason I think LA's skyline is recognizable all over the world is because of that white cylinder shaped building (the city's tallest). That building, (and the rest of L.A's skyline of course) has appeared in countless movies and t.v. shows over the years. Not to mention that the big white building in LA (whatever the hell it's called) was one of the buildings that the aliens in "Independence Day" chose to zap first, along with the Empire State Bld. I remember thinking when I saw that movie that this LA building was being put on the same level as the ESB, (which it isn't of course).

L.A's skyline is one of the lamest in the nation. It's drab and flat. BUT it's only 8 miles from the entertainment capital of the world, so it gets a lot of undeserved attention.

Well, I do know that building in LA is called the Library Tower.

Of course, that certainly doesn't put on the same level with the ESB.

It's like you said, it's in a ton of movies.

At the same time, if I were shown a picture of Houston's tallest, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify it. I might, but I might not.

Kinda embarrassing. A self-professed skyscraper geek like myself should have no trouble identifying the tallest building in Texas.

But, I'm not sure I could.

Sad.

At the same time, if I were shown a picture of Houston's tallest, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify it. I might, but I might not.

Kinda embarrassing. A self-professed skyscraper geek like myself should have no trouble identifying the tallest building in Texas.

Sad.

Really? Since when did it change its name back to Library Tower?

Sad.

It was known as the Library Tower but hasn't been officially named that in several years. It's now called the U.S. Bank Tower.

hunt_2.jpg

Looks like it was inspired from a desktop computer case.

i'm thinking that in their pursuit of being better than houston, dallas has had a freudian slip. has anyone noticed the hugh "H" outlined on the front of the building?

i'm thinking that in their pursuit of being better than houston, dallas has had a freudian slip. has anyone noticed the hugh "H" outlined on the front of the building?

HA! If the "H" stands for anything, it's Hunt.... not Houston. So, ya, someone may be slipping, right into a bayou.

I've never been a big fan of the year 'round green piping Christmas lights on Dallas' tallest building, but I do like a nighttime skyline with character. The Hunt building appears to continues a Dallas 'tradition' of inventive exterior lighting, so does The W Hotel. I only hope the downtown Dallas growth spurt is sustained to sprout a couple skyscrpaers to obscure the Golly Green Giant.

I think you just have a problem with dallas being included in that list because those are considered to be tha nations largest cities.And the mere fact that Houston is not included ...with Houston being waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger and Waaaaaay taller than dallas you feel like Dallas shouldn't even be mentioned.But the point that is being missed is this: If you had two Nameless pictures...one of Dallas and One of Houston's Skyline the average person would know which on is Dallas Because the green argon lighting and the Reunion tower would be a dead give away.......thanks!!! :rolleyes:

I think you just have a problem with dallas being included in that list because those are considered to be tha nations largest cities.And the mere fact that Houston is not included ...with Houston being waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger and Waaaaaay taller than dallas you feel like Dallas shouldn't even be mentioned.But the point that is being missed is this: If you had two Nameless pictures...one of Dallas and One of Houston's Skyline the average person would know which on is Dallas Because the green argon lighting and the Reunion tower would be a dead give away.......thanks!!! :rolleyes:
Respectful discussions only. My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice. Please report violations to a member of the moderating team, or to the Editor.

Was the person you were responding to comparing anything to Houston? No. And although Mister X has made a tacky statement or two, the root of his criticism is very clearly this one building, and his criticism seems to apply no matter the city in which it was located.

You're baiting the issue. ...but sadly, you aren't the only one fostering this form of debate. <_<

Stop, all of yall.

Respectfully, I think you have a problem with the fact that deep down you know that Dallas's skyline doesn't belong on that list anymore than I do.

I have a (small) problem with folks that try to pass wishful thinking off as fact. But, If you really think that Dallas' skyline is as recognizable as New York's then you've really got some problems. (not serious ones)

written with respect. no kidding, Dallas is great. cough. cough. :) O.K. - now even I'M getting tired of this.

Respectfully, I think you have a problem with the fact that deep down you know that Dallas's skyline doesn't belong on that list anymore than I do.

I have a (small) problem with folks that try to pass wishful thinking off as fact. But, If you really think that Dallas' skyline is as recognizable as New York's then you've really got some problems. (not serious ones)

written with respect. no kidding, Dallas is great. cough. cough. :) O.K. - now even I'M getting tired of this.

People recognize Dallas' skyline because there was a show that was slightly popular world-wide. Can't remember what it was called. That might have something to do with it.

People recognize Dallas' skyline because there was a show that was slightly popular world-wide.

20 years ago maybe. Today, no. The key word is 'was'. I wonder if everyone in the world can also identify Miami's skyline, it was on Miami Vice for years. And Minneapolis' skyline was on the Mary Tyler Moore show in the opening credits for 7 years. One Day At A Time had Indianapolis. WKRP had Cinncinatti (forgive spelling), Designing Women (BLAH!) had Atlanta. Those cities skylines were shown every week on t.v. - shows that ran for years, 20-30 years ago. I think Dallas belongs on a list with those cities - small to medium sized skylines with weekly t.v. exposure to grandma. It's not so bad - those are all good cities. Chin up.

Can't remember what it was called. That might have something to do with it.

A lot of people can't remember what that show was called now. It's so sad when people cling to past glory and they lose touch with reality. Remember Norma Desmond in 'Sunset Blvd'... "I'm a star!"

The t.v. show Dallas and the skyline featured on it is all about yesterday. Besides, when it was popular, I'd be willing to bet money that the people who watched it regularly wouldn't know one skyline from another - or even one city from another - or even one letter of the alphabet from another. Like most soaps, that show was moronic.

20 years ago maybe. Today, no. The key word is 'was'. I wonder if everyone in the world can also identify Miami's skyline, it was on Miami Vice for years. And Minneapolis' skyline was on the Mary Tyler Moore show in the opening credits for 7 years. One Day At A Time had Indianapolis. WKRP had Cinncinatti (forgive spelling), Designing Women (BLAH!) had Atlanta. Those cities skylines were shown every week on t.v. - shows that ran for years, 20-30 years ago. I think Dallas belongs on a list with those cities - small to medium sized skylines with weekly t.v. exposure to grandma. It's not so bad - those are all good cities. Chin up.

A lot of people can't remember what that show was called now. It's so sad when people cling to past glory and they lose touch with reality. Remember Norma Desmond in 'Sunset Blvd'... "I'm a star!"

The t.v. show Dallas and the skyline featured on it is all about yesterday. Besides, when it was popular, I'd be willing to bet money that the people who watched it regularly wouldn't know one skyline from another - or even one city from another - or even one letter of the alphabet from another. Like most soaps, that show was moronic.

WKRP, One Day at a Time, Mary Tyler Moore...wow, floating kind of off-topic don't you think? If you want to share your opinion about the TV show 'Dallas' you should post it on a board that cares. As for Big D's iconic, practically legendary, Texas-sized skyline, it glittered spectacularly well tonight. :)

Just thought I'd share a little off topic insight since Rant brought up the subject. Your welcome.

As for the glitter, I've seen it, I ain't missing nothin' tonight.

That's more of a Pennsylvania-sized skyline and it's practically legendary like Britney Spears acting skills are practically legendary. :lol:

Please moderators, before you ban me, realize that these guys are truly begging for this stuff, it's only fair that we should all go down together. :unsure: Sorry to the rest of you for continuing this poo. :wub:

Archived