Woolco Shopping Center At 14083 South Main St.

hbcu

On a related note, just north of Hillcroft and Main, but still south of W Airport, there uses to be a dive-through milk store called Mr Fresh.  I worked there as a fifteen year-old back in the mid-70s.  I would even have to close up, lock up, and put the receipts in the safe alone after 10 pm.  I can't imagine that happening today.

On a related note, just north of Hillcroft and Main, but still south of W Airport, there uses to be a dive-through milk store called Mr Fresh.  I worked there as a fifteen year-old back in the mid-70s.  I would even have to close up, lock up, and put the receipts in the safe alone after 10 pm.  I can't imagine that happening today.

I remember that place. Near it was a small Italian restaurant where I had my first Calzone.  They were really good.

No.  Meyer Speedway and Butler Stadium were next door to each other.  Meyer Speedway was the where the empty land now is between Butler and Hillcroft.  I grew up in South Westbury, between Chimney Rock and Hillcroft.  I could listen to track meets with my window open back then.  If you look closely at Google Earth you can see the outline of the old oval.  The north edge is about even with the baseball field at Butler.

This is correct. Meyer was built in the late 50s - Butler in the early 60s.

• 3 weeks later...

post-14085-0-62655600-1429478411_thumb.pI remember there was a Safeway and a Woolco department store back in the 80's. in that area.  I went to both of them a couple of times.  The Safeway was the building directly in the back and the Woolco was the building to the right.    HILLCROFT and SOUTH MAIN

• The title was changed to Woolco Shopping Center At 14083 South Main St.

Archived