Moving To Sugar Land From Georgia Need Help

EscapingGA2007

I was exposed to all of those things and more.. plays, opera, all the museums, the libraries, the parks, art movies, the architecture of Houston and Galveston, etc. And I still lived an hour away but had a family who really cared about their kids having proper cultural experiences when they were young. If they hadn't, and I didn't live close enough, I would have just been "sorry, out of luck."

That was very much our experience as well. It made us [me and my siblings] rounded, connected, knowledgable and curious-not so willing just to accept what was commonly served up.

Y'all are great! This is even better than I had hoped! Keep it coming guys!

Now, where to begin... let's see, I have to agree with Vertigo58 about the advice. That is exactly the plan. You see, even though TheNiche's suggestion of renting first is a great idea, I don't think there are too many apartment communities that would take too kindly to our 4 furry babies. So, that is not really an option. I am hoping to use the information and feedback as well as a couple of trips out there to help us localize a job/home search. My husband's job search can be tailored around the area we chose to live, in a manner of speaking. And KinkaidAlum, there are many, many reasons that we hate Atlanta, and I have mentioned that I know we will encounter traffic no matter where we go, if you read my previous posts. There is more than that in this town. The traffic is only one small part. It is Atlanta as a whole that we want to get away from.

Many of you have mentioned moving into the city, well, we want to live in the 'burbs. We are not city folk. I like everything I have read about Sugar Land, except maybe the heat, but hey, it gets to 100 degrees with near 100% humididy here, do I don't see a big difference there. Can somebody tell me about the weather? Other than what I see on weather.com?

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the help. :D

Now, where to begin... let's see, I have to agree with Vertigo58 about the advice. That is exactly the plan. You see, even though TheNiche's suggestion of renting first is a great idea, I don't think there are too many apartment communities that would take too kindly to our 4 furry babies. So, that is not really an option. I am hoping to use the information and feedback as well as a couple of trips out there to help us localize a job/home search. My husband's job search can be tailored around the area we chose to live, in a manner of speaking. And KinkaidAlum, there are many, many reasons that we hate Atlanta, and I have mentioned that I know we will encounter traffic no matter where we go, if you read my previous posts. There is more than that in this town. The traffic is only one small part. It is Atlanta as a whole that we want to get away from.

Many of you have mentioned moving into the city, well, we want to live in the 'burbs. We are not city folk. I like everything I have read about Sugar Land, except maybe the heat, but hey, it gets to 100 degrees with near 100% humididy here, do I don't see a big difference there. Can somebody tell me about the weather? Other than what I see on weather.com?

100* and 100% humidity, Welcome to Atla.....I mean Houston ! Have you looked into other suburban cities just outside of Houston, like Katy and the Woodlands ? I think you will find something particularly AWESOME in Katy for $250 to $300k. Also about the same size if not bigger than what you can get in Atlanta. $300k will get you well over 3000 sq.ft. here with the amenities you are looking for. Look up Woodcreek Reserve and Grayson Lakes in Katy, they have more of the "lakes" you are looking for, instead of the huge retention ponds that Chelsea Harbor claims.

The weather probably isn't too much different from Atlanta, just subtract the snow and add rain. We get a lot of rain, it comes in thunderstorms though, not in daily overcast drizzle like Seattle. It also doesn't get quite as cold here, expect 1 to 2 freezes a year, tops.

I really don't know why everyone thinks Sugarland is so great......

I was born in Sugarland, my mom's family has lived in Sugarland for 20+years, and we go down there once or twice a month for family dinners.

However, it lacks something and I can't put my finger on it. The same thing Cypress lacks. It just seems to be a big explosion of cars, freeways, and buildings. To me Sugarland is just like Houston. There is no buffer. The commute is horrendous.

I would look at The Woodlands, Klein, Tomball or some point north of I-10/West of 45.

Maybe it's the lack of trees that does it in for me. I get claustrophobic being in an area where everything is going by at 70 mph. i need to feel my space!

I've been in Atlanta and we happened to roll in RIGHT at rush hour!! Big mistake!!

I really don't know why everyone thinks Sugarland is so great......

I was born in Sugarland, my mom's family has lived in Sugarland for 20+years, and we go down there once or twice a month for family dinners.

However, it lacks something and I can't put my finger on it. The same thing Cypress lacks. It just seems to be a big explosion of cars, freeways, and buildings. To me Sugarland is just like Houston. There is no buffer. The commute is horrendous.

I would look at The Woodlands, Klein, Tomball or some point north of I-10/West of 45.

Maybe it's the lack of trees that does it in for me. I get claustrophobic being in an area where everything is going by at 70 mph. i need to feel my space!

I've been in Atlanta and we happened to roll in RIGHT at rush hour!! Big mistake!!

I guess Money magazine disagrees. To me, the commute from Sugar Land is the easiest commute in the city except for Pearland (maybe) or the East side. If you want to live in the suburbs, SL is the closest one to Uptown with nice master planned communities.

I grew up in Klein and promised never to return, want to talk about explosion of cars etc.? Look no further than 1960, I'll take Hwy 6 any day, especially south of 59. The Woodlands is great, I like it more than SL, but it's just too far out.

That's just my opinion though, everyone has their own preferences.

I guess Money magazine disagrees.

I always rely on fluff pieces designed to sell copies (top ten lists sell like nothing else you can imagine) from popular magazines based on arbitrary criteria as good, primary sources of information. You know, like my perennial favorite, Men's Fitness 'Fittest Cities' list!

I always rely on fluff pieces designed to sell copies (top ten lists sell like nothing else you can imagine) from popular magazines based on arbitrary criteria as good, primary sources of information. You know, like my perennial favorite, Men's Fitness 'Fittest Cities' list!

Your town must not have been on the list.

who cares who is on the list? Drive through the different areas and see for yourself which you like better.

I wouldn't buy into an area just because of a magazine or a rating.

Examples: Aldine was rated high for music education.um.....NO! Ha!!

Dyson vacuums weren't rated good by CR. Everyone who has one including me loves it.

• The title was changed to Moving To Sugar Land From Georgia Need Help

Archived