Prince's Drive-In Restaurant No. 7 At 1500 N. Shepherd Dr.

md2hog

The Prince's sign is still there covered up in white paint and wood, i believe it was a car dealership recently. If you are going down Shepher after you pass it on your right you can see the sign without paint looking south on Shepherd. Ill take some pics friday when im in the area

I think that the main building is still there as well. I walked the parking lot a few months ago before it became another used car place, you can still see how the old drive in was laid out.

The triumvirate of driveins in suburban sw Houston in the mid-60s was the Prince's @ the Bellaire/Bissonnet "circle", A&W Root Beer Stand at Bellaire and Stella Link, and the Deputy on Westheimer @ the UP tracks.

Teen Burger and a tall mug delivered by roller-skating carhops at A&W, then street race some buddies down Bellaire for some o rings and a malt at Prince's, then off to the Deputy to start some trouble with the Lamar teasips.

life was good.

on the other hand, the Prince's on Shepherd was a place where us weenie Bellaire boys could get a good headknocking from those badass northside hoods.

and the Prince's on Main was the epicenter of the grownup hot car crowd. a reality check for us hotrod wannabes.

I just saw American Graffitti for the umpteenth time last night. OOOoooooohhhhhhh to have a Mel's Drive In

Hey TJones, I was in San Francisco this summer and went down to the Mels Drive In where they filmed American Graffitti. Also went over the bridge to San Rafael where the street scenes were shot.

Hey TJones, I was in San Francisco this summer and went down to the Mels Drive In where they filmed American Graffitti. Also went over the bridge to San Rafael where the street scenes were shot.

Luckydog. Closest I have been to THE actual Mel's Diner is that I was IN San Francisco once. I have been to Universal Studios where they have a replica of the '32 Ford and Mel's.

on the other hand, the Prince's on Shepherd was a place where us weenie Bellaire boys could get a good headknocking from those badass northside hoods.
IHB2, it's no wonder you got a good headknocking at the Prince's on Shepherd. If you'da gone there and called us Northsiders, you'da got more than a headknocking!

We were Reagan Rats from the Heights. The "Northside" was Sam Houston Country around Airline, Crosstimbers, Tidwell streets. We hated Northsiders just as much as we did those damned Lamar Teasips and Bellaire Bozos!

The North Side rules. :P;)

We were Reagan Rats from the Heights. The "Northside" was Sam Houston Country around Airline, Crosstimbers, Tidwell streets. We hated Northsiders just as much as we did those damned Lamar Teasips and Bellaire Bozos!

Careful!

life_2501.jpg93-18923-457.jpg

I barely remember seeing some of the carhops wearing cowboy hats too (photo on right). Guess they did come in handy in Texas sun. :P Now I am really getting hungry for a Trout Basket with tons of that delicious tartar sauce! and the huge onion rings, yummmmmmm!

I even love the crushed ice they would use in the sodas, you could crunch for a long time. Now I'm thirsty!

life_2501.jpg93-18923-457.jpg

I barely remember seeing some of the carhops wearing cowboy hats too (photo on right). Guess they did come in handy in Texas sun. :P Now I am really getting hungry for a Trout Basket with tons of that delicious tartar sauce! and the huge onion rings, yummmmmmm!

I even love the crushed ice they would use in the sodas, you could crunch for a long time. Now I'm thirsty!

Hey Vertigo, I am sure there are a few guys here that could hook you up with some "Trouser Trout", don't know about the basket though. :lol:

Vertigo, are you sure the photo of the carhop with the cowgirl hat is from Houston? The title of the photo says "sandiegohistory". I don't recognize the uniform or the hat as being either Pig Stand or Prince's.

your right it was the image I was trying to convey. I was just trying to give examples of Drive Ins around Texas. There were some that wore cowgirl hats in Texas, maybe not Prince's but drive-ins just the same. Time for a shrimp basket! Yum. :P

your right it was the image I was trying to convey. I was just trying to give examples of Drive Ins around Texas. There were some that wore cowgirl hats in Texas, maybe not Prince's but drive-ins just the same. Time for a shrimp basket! Yum. :P

There were some carhops that wore cowboy hats at the Texan Drive In. This was located on Wayside a little closer down to the bayou and on the opposite side of the street than Princes. The Texan closed long before Princes did. Probably in the mid 60's. Their location wasn't that great and Princes took most of the business. Yes, Time for a shrimp basket!!

When the carhop came to serve you, they would put a laminated card on your windshield. On the side facing out was your number, and the menu was printed on the inside so you could read it. These cards became prized collector's items, but the waitresses would keep a sharp eye on the so you didn't drive off with one.

Oh my God! Your right, I totally forgot about those cool huge number's/cards they would assign each car.

We even have an original tray :blush: Wonder how that happened?

I never could figure out how they could prop it up so fast and stack up all that scrumptous food on it with it collapsing? I am actually getting hungry as I type this thinking of the aroma of those great onion rings, etc. Stop it! :lol:

At 46 I'm old enough to have bridged the drive in era and the drive through days. My first memory of a drive through joint was Jack In The Box. Their thing was driving up to the box with the clown's head and placing your order. Were they the first or were there others?

At 46 I'm old enough to have bridged the drive in era and the drive through days. My first memory of a drive through joint was Jack In The Box. Their thing was driving up to the box with the clown's head and placing your order. Were they the first or were there others?

I'm trying not to hijack the topic but this will bring back plenty of "hungry" memories. :lol: Jack in the box head was way high up about seems like 100 feet and spun around in slow motion. You could see for a long way.

I hated the blow-up-the-Jack-in-the-box campaign. Must have saddened many kids to see him blown up in slow mo. Look at the prices! Whaaaatttt!

• The title was changed to Prince's Drive-In Restaurant No. 7 At 1500 N. Shepherd Dr.

Archived