Imus a racist?

houstonmacbro

Guest Marty

The listener's should be the one's who make or break him but you cannot do anything about the sponsors dropping him like a brick in the river. He will be back on the air shortly only if he is a strong man if not he will fade away.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's funny is Freedom of Speech was created for people like Imus and Savage.

Freedom of Speech was not created for the vanilla-news-freaks you see in the mainstream media like the plagiarism scandal at CBS that nobody hears about. http://www.slate.com/id/2164070/?nav=fix

And based upon that logic, long live the rappers! Tell us how you really feel for not knowing your daddy, baby!

Freedom of Speech technically only applies to the government. MSNBC is a private organization.

Guest Marty
imus0325.jpg

This pic from the coog is the best so far excluding the dumb Donald from Fat Albert. :lol: But vicman freedom of speech is a way of life in this great country called USA. Imus said some things that the vulture's like Sharpton and Jackson will pick up on and exploit for their own gain. He did not violate any FCC rules.

Once again, the Free Speech and Political Correctness "debate" returns. I put "debate" in quotes, because there is no debate. Just as in Michael Ray Richardson's poorly worded compliment of his attorney's, The question is not whether Don Imus has the right to call Rutgers athletes "nappy headed hoes", but rather, whether CBS must allow him to say what he pleases on their airwaves, while on their payroll. Clearly they do not.

It is clearly the right of sponsors to pull their advertising dollars from a person who may cause sales to drop. After all, marketing is intended to INCREASE sales, not hurt them. It is also the right of networks to decide what content will be aired on their networks. These are not free speech issues. They are business decisions. And they should be.

The bigger issue might be, why are we hearing so much about these on-air gaffes? The answer is simple. With at least four 24 hour news channels, there is lots of air time to fill. As we all know, much of the "news" is boring, so these channels create "news" to fill up the schedule, and hopefully, attract viewers. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are not so much outraged as opportunists, who will gladly pontificate for publicity at every perceived slight. The news channels are happy to oblige, because these guests draw a crowd, whether to agree with them or to rail against them. In a sense, the public is victimized by too much news, as opposed to not enough.

What to do? It is too much to ask that a couple of news channels shut their doors, so that there would be less air time for contrived issues. The only real solution is for the public to recognize this drivel for what it is, and refuse to watch. I rarely watch the cable news anymore, and frankly, have only read a couple of posts on this thread. Once I read the headline and a couple of paragraphs, I knew everything about the Imus situation that I needed...an old, irrelevant shock jock made a very crude remark about the Rutgers women's team, and eventually it lead to his ouster...everything else is superfluous and irrelevant. Do I really care what Ashleigh Banfield thinks of this? No, I do not, and therefore I did not watch her.

While it would be refreshing to see the news media focus on the real problems facing the country, the citizenry has made it known that it is not interested in confronting REAL problems. It is content to watch famous and semi-famous people squirm in uncomfortable positions that they created for themselves. It is much easier than looking at ourselves.

The bigger issue might be, why are we hearing so much about these on-air gaffes? The answer is simple. With at least four 24 hour news channels, there is lots of air time to fill. As we all know, much of the "news" is boring, so these channels create "news" to fill up the schedule, and hopefully, attract viewers. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are not so much outraged as opportunists, who will gladly pontificate for publicity at every perceived slight. The news channels are happy to oblige, because these guests draw a crowd, whether to agree with them or to rail against them. In a sense, the public is victimized by too much news, as opposed to not enough.

Good point. Some would say it is also the nature of the media - esp. television and internet - that causes stories like this to dominate over more substantial ones. TV is an image driven medium that thrives on short attention spans; this is largely true of the internet as well. If you want discussion of serious issues, look to print-driven media - periodicals and books.

MrFootball, right on! I was just about to post the same article.

Whitlock was on CNN this morning along with "Reverend" Al. Maybe it was my imagination, but I thought Soledad O'Brien did her best to almost discredit Whitlock while placating Sharpton. The interview was biased, for sure, even if mildly so.

Pelosi, Bush and Iran love distractions like this. Who's getting paid to keep these non-stories going?

Very true. When you have over 90% of the nation's media (tv, cable, publishing, newspapers, etc) owned and controlled by just a handful of corporations (now just five...down from 50 back in 1983), you're pretty much force fed what they want you consume. More distractions from the real issues.

and this man (anus/Imus) is so butt ugly I dont even want to paste his mug on here.

He needs to dry out as booze has really taken it's toll on him. Too much vodka for breakfast. Leatherface 2007. :)

Oh........and THIS is the posterboy for the "Politcally Correct NON Racist" crowd, right ?

_1287216_sharpton_150.jpg

btw, what time IS Al and Jesse's press conference to apologize to the Duke players for presuming them Guilty before proven innocent ?

Maybe Jesse's Rainbow Coalition will pay for the Duke Players tuitions now instead of the stripper that lied about how she gained her injuries and who's DNA was on her person ?

Imus is wrong, deadwrong. It was an unqualified joke by an unqualified shock jock, good riddance, can someone explain to me WHY the double standard ? Apparently if it WAS real life then it wouldn't be such an issue, that apparently is why Rap Artists get away with it, because that is their perception of their life. You can glorify thug-life in a song, and promote it if you are black and "lived" it, but it is offensive, when it is poking fun ?

the stripper that lied about how she gained her injuries

Fasten your seat belts she has already been approached for a book & movie deal and several talk shows. Time to cash in. $$$

Rev. Al cracks me up to NO END. He has now been burned TWICE trying to take up the stand against the "Racially motivated treatment of Blacks". He knew he was gonna get clobbered over the head in the Duke thing so Imus's idotic remarks were just perfect timing, when in reality it is no worse than anything he himself or Jesse have ever said about Jewish folks.

Rap star Snoop Dogg said in a expletive-filled interview with MTV News Tuesday that Don Imus' use of the the slang "ho" is a "completely different scenario" than the use of word in rap lyrics.

According to MTV, Snoop Dogg said that rappers "are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about ho's that's in the 'hood that ain't doing sh--, that's trying to get a n---a for his money. These are two separate things."

Let's she what mr. sharpton has to say about this!

What's funny is Freedom of Speech was created for people like Imus and Savage.

Freedom of Speech was not created for the vanilla-news-freaks you see in the mainstream media like the plagiarism scandal at CBS that nobody hears about. http://www.slate.com/id/2164070/?nav=fix

And based upon that logic, long live the rappers! Tell us how you really feel for not knowing your daddy, baby!

freedom of speach is not to say whatever you want right or wrong... freedom of speach means to talk about about your government and what you think is wrong... ie saying you hate bush if you want to. It doesn't mean to say whatever you want... we all need to understand the laws better.

Very true. When you have over 90% of the nation's media (tv, cable, publishing, newspapers, etc) owned and controlled by just a handful of corporations (now just five...down from 50 back in 1983), you're pretty much force fed what they want you consume. More distractions from the real issues.

Agreed. I think we, the American consumer, get the wool pulled over our eyes more and more, and taught what to think and believe, because of this.

the stripper that lied about how she gained her injuries

Fasten your seat belts she has already been approached for a book & movie deal and several talk shows. Time to cash in. $$$

Supposedly they weren't going to sue her b/c she's a troubled soul...I think that changes if she makes one penny off of falsely accusing these three.

Supposedly they weren't going to sue her b/c she's a troubled soul...I think that changes if she makes one penny off of falsely accusing these three.

Can we create a new topic about the Duke players and the female dancer? That is mixing another batch of apples and oranges.

Can we create a new topic about the Duke players and the female dancer? That is mixing another batch of apples and oranges.

No macbro, becuase it pertains to the Double Standard with certain parties involved with BOTH cases. Some of the same Bad Apples are in with the Oranges here.

Rap star Snoop Dogg said in a expletive-filled interview with MTV News Tuesday that Don Imus' use of the the slang "ho" is a "completely different scenario" than the use of word in rap lyrics.

According to MTV, Snoop Dogg said that rappers "are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about ho's that's in the 'hood that ain't doing sh--, that's trying to get a n---a for his money. These are two separate things."

Let's she what mr. sharpton has to say about this!

....and if Snoop Dogg was going to college with these same "girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports" HE would still call them "Biotches and Hos". Who is he trying to fool........himself ? A self-proclaimed "Pimp", only distinguishes women ONE WAY ! He thinks he can make money off of ANY of them.

Hmmm ... I started this topic (I think) and I say it is off topic from my original post about Imus. Now, I would certainly be happy to continue this in a 'Duke Rape Case' thread.

You have a common factor in both stories which shows the hypocracy in the Imus case. Can you not see that ?

I'll explain it to you. Al Sharpton is a cause for Imus' dismissal, not just Imus' words alone, Sharpton raised the ruckus, not the girls from the basketball team. None of the girls on that team even knew who Imus was, does that make it ok for Imus to say it, Hell NO ! But, Sharpton should be the last person defending ANYONE that racial comments were made about. He has backed Jesse Jackson he also backed Khalid Abdul Muhammed for years. If Sharpton is sooooooo upset over, appauled over racial comments being made, then perhaps he should think about the company he keeps and who he has associated with in the past.

Archived