creole/cajun restaurants in houston

sorry. too lazy to try to figure out houston's confusing phonebook system. does any one know where to find good creole food in houston. when i was last in new orleans, creole restaurants are almost on every block . i know frenchys chicken is a cajun/ fried chicken joint but i'm talking about some real cajun/creole food. just curious.

any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated

Carter and Cooley and Jax are Cajun? Who knew?

I've never been disappointed at Boudreaux altho the last time I was there they'd trimmed the portion sizes and spiciness. I've never gotten the appeal of Ragin' Cajun. Magnolia Bar and Grill, that's another matter.

If Mardi Gras is good then Woodrow's on Chimney Rock should be -- same owners.

Anybody tried Zydeco Cajun Diner on Pease @ San Jacinto? Got the Press's 'best of' for meat and three last year and the review noted Katrina evacuees flocked to it for authentic tastes. Open very limited hours (11-2, M-F) and I've never made it in time.

Anybody tried Zydeco Cajun Diner on Pease @ San Jacinto? Got the Press's 'best of' for meat and three last year and the review noted Katrina evacuees flocked to it for authentic tastes. Open very limited hours (11-2, M-F) and I've never made it in time.

Yeah, I've been there a few times. It is pretty good, but I wouldn't stick it in the "great" category.

Treebeards, hands down for me.

YES TREEBEARDS!

Ultimate Cajun food worship hangout! We always went to the one downtown in the church cloister area and also the one underground. Not fair, both in downtown!? The Shrimp etoufee is killer and that nice warm bread with butter. Wow. (salivating) :wacko:

food%20pic%202.jpg

There's also a Treebeards in Market Square. I think Treebeards has good food, and I eat there about once a week because it's so convenient, but I would warn that many of their cajun standards aren't what some might expect. I don't get their shrimp or crawfish etoufee, for example, because the sauce is more like a shrimp creole sauce. The jambalaya also tastes more like creole rice to me. And their red beans and rice (which I do get a lot regardless) doesn't taste how I expect red beans and rice to taste - maybe because they (apparently) cook the beans without meat, and add sausage only if/as you order it. Their two types of gumbo are pretty traditional restaurant versions (except that their trinity is not fine-chopped - I think it's chopped for all their dishes at once, in big pieces), and are very good, and so is their dirty rice. They have good gazpacho, too, in the summer. All and all, I don't think of Treebeards as a cajun restaurant - they call themselves "Southern", and I'd agree with that - but I still recommend it. Good comfort food.

PT's, on Hwy 3, was pretty good once upon a time. Proper boudin, etc. But I think it's been closed for a while.

Edited by tmariar

There's also a Treebeards in Market Square.

Your right I forgot about the Market Square location!

Jimmy G's way over on Beltway 8 near JFK Blvd used to make real good crawfish/corn/potatoes just right! Just too far for me though. Getting hungry now.

Your right I forgot about the Market Square location!

I didn't know it until today, but apparently there is also a location on Prairie.

I haven't been in years, but I recall the 3-way crawfish platter at Pappadeaux being pretty yummy.

Most of the suggestions so far have been Cajun and are good examples of it. Boudreaux's is really good, though authenticity might be in question on a few dishes. The boudin balls there are very tasty. No discussion of this type of food is complete without mentioning Treebeard's, either, though I'd agree on their "Southern" focus. I even like Pappadeaux's, especially the one down in Seabrook. They have some nice Cajun and Creole dishes in a pretty authentic setting, for a chain.

Creole cooking is much more refined than the typical Cajun fried spicy stuff. Creole cooking has a lot more European influence. To me, it begins and ends with the fine dining experience of Brennan's. It's expensive and very "old" in its decor and crowd. But, it's the best in town, by far. Ours here is part of the original Brennan's family restaurants, which started in the French Quarter.

http://www.brennanshouston.com/

Edited by dalparadise

Boudreaux's? Pappadeaux's? Come on.......are you serious? Boudreaux's offers a quick fix on the run...that's it..

I've been to Jimmy G's once and liked it......

I like Christi's when it comes to shrimp..hands down the best in town by far even though it isn't creole....

I've tried others but Frenchy's on Scott Street has the best red beans and rice by far and I've tried them all...other places try to be slick and substitute pinto beans for red beans

My beef with Pappadeaux's is that they charge you an arm and a leg for food and youngsters think that place is the best thing since sliced bread....I not an old fart nor close to it but damn, there are going to be some mad brothas in about 20 years when their women can't cook because of places like that....

• 2 months later...

Being half cajun, I like Mardi Gras, Rajun, and Jax Grill. I love to Zydeco dance and I love the diversity in that place. Old people dancing with their grand kids, black men dancing with white women, hispanics with blacks, whites with hispanics. It's great. The guys ASK you to dance then leave you alone after that.

Treebeards is a healthy, more modern twist on Cajun food, it's good, but it's not really the real thing. By the way, there's 3. Market Square, the church and a kiosk in the tunnels.

I recently ate at T'Beaux's on Hwy.6 at addicks satsuma. It is absolutely wonderful. I recommend the Blackened Salmon, YUMMY !

Yes, because the po' folk down in "Loos-e-ann" eat blackened Salmon all the time! :blink:

Yes, because the po' folk down in "Loos-e-ann" eat blackened Salmon all the time! :blink:

I think blackened nutreno rat would be a stretch though Jeebus. I'll stick with the salmon. Or, if you have to be a stickler, throw some Talipia on the grill.

if you have to be a stickler, throw some Talipia on the grill.

STRIKE TWO! Talipia are from Africa & are not native to Louisiana. They are raised in a very limited production in Louisiana, and only under the strictest guidelines put out by the LA Department of Wildlife & Fisheries.

How about a little bass, catfish, flounder, red, speckled, or even some gar?

Edited by Jeebus

My beef with Pappadeaux's is that they charge you an arm and a leg for food and youngsters think that place is the best thing since sliced bread....I not an old fart nor close to it but damn, there are going to be some mad brothas in about 20 years when their women can't cook because of places like that....

They charge you an arm and a leg, but you get what you pay for...their portions are very generous and the quality is good. You might pay $18 for the crawfish platter (half fried/half etouffee), but they give you enough food for 2 people (unless you weigh 300 lbs., thenyou are two people).

They charge you an arm and a leg, but you get what you pay for...their portions are very generous and the quality is good. You might pay $18 for the crawfish platter (half fried/half etouffee), but they give you enough food for 2 people (unless you weigh 300 lbs., thenyou are two people).

Most people in Houston don't share. And in fact, whenever I've been to some restaurants and say that we are sharing, I get odd looks from the waiter or waitress.

but they give you enough food for 2 people (unless you weigh 300 lbs., thenyou are two people).

:lol:

Most people in Houston don't share. And in fact, whenever I've been to some restaurants and say that we are sharing, I get odd looks from the waiter or waitress.

they are saying that you're cheap.

Edited by musicman