creole/cajun restaurants in houston

I don't think anyone's mentioned Cajun Town Cafe. Both locations are the kind of places that you'd probably never give a second glance to if you were driving by - they're in the kind of underwhelming, nondescript strip centers that are common all over Houston. But they're owned by a guy who worked for Pappadeaux as a cook for years, and the food is great and considerably less expensive than Pappadeaux.

There's a more detailed review from the Houston Press here.

sorry. too lazy to try to figure out houston's confusing phonebook system. does any one know where to find good creole food in houston. when i was last in new orleans, creole restaurants are almost on every block . i know frenchys chicken is a cajun/ fried chicken joint but i'm talking about some real cajun/creole food. just curious.

any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated

There's a place on Kirby in the end-cap space of a retail center nearest Reliant Stadium called Coozan's that does excellent boudain balls. I think that they were 50 cents each, and worth every penny. Greasy, fatty, soft, and a thin maleable crust. The wings, which are supposed to be their bread and butter, are decent, but I wouldn't go there almost at all if it weren't for the boudain.

There's a place on Kirby in the end-cap space of a retail center nearest Reliant Stadium called Coozan's that does excellent boudain balls. I think that they were 50 cents each, and worth every penny. Greasy, fatty, soft, and a thin maleable crust. The wings, which are supposed to be their bread and butter, are decent, but I wouldn't go there almost at all if it weren't for the boudain.

There's also a Coozan's out on 1960 @ Veteran's Memorial. I've never eaten there, but know people that swear by it.

Jax Grill. I love to Zydeco dance and I love the diversity in that place. Old people dancing with their grand kids, black men dancing with white women, hispanics with blacks, whites with hispanics. It's great. The guys ASK you to dance then leave you alone after that.

I think Jax Grill deserves another mention. I went there last weekend for the first time. It's not only Cajun food and the prices are Great..and the music was even better. And like PR Girl said...the diversity is something else. I had the fried shrimp with Baked Potato... cost was $10 and the shrimp was perfect. Other people in party I went with had a great looking chicken salad. Oh..and we had a Jack Sack for desert... Everyone should try one at least once in their life. Love this place and go back often.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had Treebeard's, but in general I was pretty disappointed with the Cajun offerings in Houston (THAT'S why you go to crawfish boils). Landry's and Pappadeaux's are pretty good, but the best Cajun food I had in Houston was at Ragin' Cajun on Richmond. It's the one with a giant crawfish on the roof, heh heh.