Ed Brandon is retiring

FilioScotia

Today is Ed's last day at the station. You can see his last weather cast at 6pm on ABC 13. Dave Ward conducted an interview with him. I'm thinking they will show clips from that also at 6pm. It's been nice Ed.

i just watched the dave ward interview with ed brandon. it is just amazing that he has been here so long. and luckily, he will be back!!

Seems like it's a bit out of sequence, but the series of interview clips is available on the website's section about him. Definitely worth a look. Sounds like they will bring him back for special events for the station and weather-wise.

I didn't know he worked for Dan Patrick...

Yes, Ed Brandon had a radio talk show during the period he was not working at Channel 13. It was on weekday afternoons and was called Afternoon Delight. The theme song he used was the 1976 hit song Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal band.

Afternoon Delight Lyrics:

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight

Gonna grab some Afternoon Delight

My motto's always been "When it's right, it's right."

Why wait until the middle of a cold, dark night?

When everything

• 2 months later...
Today June 29, 2007 Ed Brandon was on the 6pm Newscast of ABC 13 again. I guess Tim Heller is out. It was nice seeing him on air again following his retirement in April.

abc13 told him he could return as a guest weatherperson at anytime. Ed had mentioned that perhaps during hurricanes he would return to help out.

its about time...every time he speaks his voice sounds old and tired and he is always gasping for air at the end of each sentence...kind of like that fat kid from elementary school

Yeah...that's because he has a heart condition....

its about time...every time he speaks his voice sounds old and tired and he is always gasping for air at the end of each sentence...

you'll be hearing him gasping next week too. Tim Heller is on vacation and Ed is taking his place.

I was in the Continental Presidents Club at IAH Friday night and noticed Ed was on the 6:00 PM news. I just assumed he must be filling in. It was nice to see him back on, and I hope he'll continue to make guest appearances when Tim is on vacation as long as his health allows.

I saw that too, next time I am going to record him on a VCR tape.

There's a little coincidence at work here, with news from Dallas that longtime WFAA weatherguy Troy Dungan is retiring after 31 years up there. Houston oldtimers remember Dungan for the years he spent at KTRK Channel 13 in the 60s and 70s.

He was replaced by Ed Brandon, who joined KTRK in 1972, and moved into the number one chair when Dungan left for Dallas in 1976.

A veteran -- and the kid who replaced him -- are both old veterans now, and both are retiring at the same time.

Coincidence? You decide.

I didn't realize Troy Dungan was retiring from WFAA. How sad. I always watched Channel 8 news when I was in college, and still do when I'm in the DFW area for work or visiting friends.

• 2 months later...
abc13 told him he could return as a guest weatherperson at anytime. Ed had mentioned that perhaps during hurricanes he would return to help out.

He was on just a few minutes ago talking about Tropical Storm Humberto. I was like "HUH? Didn't he retire?" :blink:

And Marty, now's a good time to fire up that VCR, or Betamax. :lol:

He was on just a few minutes ago talking about Tropical Storm Humberto. I was like "HUH? Didn't he retire?" :blink:

And Marty, now's a good time to fire up that VCR, or Betamax. :lol:

Thanks for the reminder. :lol:

Archived