Ed Brandon is retiring

FilioScotia

i didn't realize he's in such poor health

I think Ed will agree that he is living proof of of what several decades of drugs, booze and heavy smoking can do to you. It's a miracle he's alive to retire. Let us pray he will live long enough to enjoy a good retirement.

I've known Ed for a long time and I can tell you he really is one of the nice guys in this town. Yes he has his faults -- don't we all? -- but how many of us has to live through having all your foibles and failings reported in the local media? Ed kept his head high and his eyes focused on his goal through all that, and I for one admire him for it. Have a great retirement Ed. See you at Kay's. Over a sasperilly of course.

Eh, not sorry to see him go.

I hope the police watch his home. All that free time he will get bored and want to get a hit I am sure.

Thats not very nice.

I dont watch much local news but i am familiar with him and his past situation. Its always a very brave thing when you can admit you have a fault(s) and over come them. For that, he has my admiration ;)

Thats not very nice.

I dont watch much local news but i am familiar with him and his past situation. Its always a very brave thing when you can admit you have a fault(s) and over come them. For that, he has my admiration ;)

I never appreciated the fact that they didn't fire him for his drug use all those years ago. You could tell throught the years when he was using - he was thin. Whenever he was fat, you knew that he was not using right now.

Thats not very nice.

He was not a REAL meteorologist, just a weatherman. Basically a puppet. I can do that too, just go to weather.com and repeat the info on air.

Whoop-D-doo.

Anyways, stay away from drugs kids. . . or you may end up an embarassment to your friends and family.

I never appreciated the fact that they didn't fire him for his drug use all those years ago. You could tell throught the years when he was using - he was thin. Whenever he was fat, you knew that he was not using right now.

Thinks of Matthew Perry during his stint on Friends. . . fat one season and skinny the next.

I never appreciated the fact that they didn't fire him for his drug use all those years ago.

Me neither...I believe that people should be kicked to the curb as soon as they make a mistake, with no chance of redemption. Oooops...wait a minute. No I don't.

Me neither...I believe that people should be kicked to the curb as soon as they make a mistake, with no chance of redemption. Oooops...wait a minute. No I don't.

I think he should have maybe been one of those public speakers instead afterwards that goes to high schools.

He would have been a textbook representation of how you might look like if you throw your life away.

He was not a REAL meteorologist, just a weatherman. Basically a puppet. I can do that too, just go to weather.com and repeat the info on air.

Whoop-D-doo.

the REAL meteorologists also repeat the forecast put out by the national weather service.

the REAL meteorologists also repeat the forecast put out by the national weather service.

Well, if that is the case, then everyone just needs to take a speech class and go interview to be a weatherman.

Sounds easier than going to meteorology school.

Well, if that is the case, then everyone just needs to take a speech class and go interview to be a weatherman.

Sounds easier than going to meteorology school.

he has personality which accounts for his longevity. dr neil frank has no personality comparatively.

Exactly HOW many years and HOW MANY PUBLIC chances did they give him. You know, I just don't appreaiate your smartass remark.

I had dinner tonight with one of our local TV meteorologists and I asked him about this, and he said that at his station each meteorologist does indeed present the forecast as he/she sees it, with NWS and colleague input of course.

he has personality which accounts for his longevity. dr neil frank has no personality comparatively.
Dr. Frank has an 80% chance of being completely full of himself. He's unbearable whenever there's any weather in the tropics between June and December. I'm tired of having regular programming interrupted so he can listen to himself talk.
Exactly HOW many years and HOW MANY PUBLIC chances did they give him. You know, I just don't appreaiate your smartass remark.

If that's a question, read the link on the first post in this thread. Mr. Brandon discusses his history quite frankly.

I think he should have maybe been one of those public speakers instead afterwards that goes to high schools. He would have been a textbook representation of how you might look like if you throw your life away.

You may be interested to know that's precisely what Ed has done a helluva lot of for more than 15 years, since he recovered from his own addictions. He spends as much of his free time as his health will allow speaking at schools and other places. And yes he does use his own experiences as an example of what can happen when you allow drugs into your life.

Why are so many people on this site so unforgiving? Ed got a chance to redeem his life and he grabbed it. He's still doing penance for his failures and transgressions, and facing life-threatening health problems because of them. What more do you want from him? He's trying to steer others away from the mistakes that brought him down, and I'm one who admires him a lot for that.

I say the person among us who is without sin, and who hasn't made life-changing mistakes, should step up and cast the first stone.

Ed came up in TV in the 60s when ALL TV weathermen were just TV personalities who stood in front of a map and talked about the weather. There were NO degreed meteorologists to speak of.

That change has been something of a recent development. Like, in the past 15 or 20 years.

These days no major market TV station will hire a weathercaster who doesn't have a degree in broadcast meteorology from an accredited university. And in case you're curious, that means a full four-year BS in the science of meteorology, with training in how it should be presented on TV. There are no diploma mills for TV weathermen.

Ed got the zero tolerance treatment at KTRK. The TV station learned of his private problems and how out of control they were at the same time the public did, and he was asked to resign. To their everlasting credit though, KTRK managers left the door open for a return, but only if he could get his act together and get off drugs. Ed tells the story of how that came to pass in the interview on Mike McGuff's blog.

I had dinner tonight with one of our local TV meteorologists and I asked him about this, and he said that at his station each meteorologist does indeed present the forecast as he/she sees it, with NWS and colleague input of course.

it is surprising how when they are wrong, they are all wrong.

It seems so many people actually put stock in Meteorologists' ability to predict the future. I can't understand why these people then get mad when the Meteorologist gets the prediction wrong.

Do you really believe that people can tell the future? I'd put more stock in the traffic reported predicting the amount of time it will take me to get to work via my normal freeway route.

it is surprising how when they are wrong, they are all wrong.

My thoughts exactly, Hurricane Rita still comes to mind. With all the technology available, how can they not do a better job. We barely saw any heavy winds in Sugar Land.

It seems so many people actually put stock in Meteorologists' ability to predict the future. I can't understand why these people then get mad when the Meteorologist gets the prediction wrong.

Today's meteorologists have far fewer excuses for getting it wrong than their forebears. They have access to weather satellite photography, computerized displays of ground-based radar covering any point in the continental United States, so it should be easy to track weather developments from one area to another. Right? Well, yes and no.

After all, they can see a cold front coming our way when it's still in CANADA for gods sakes. A frontal line looks very dramatic from outer space. They can track a line of thunderstorms and predict where it will go with some accuracy.

Here's where it gets dicey. They can see the conditions that cause rain and thunderstorms, but they still can't predict when or precisely where rain will fall. That's why they hedge their forecasts with that old "20 or 30 or 40 percent chance of rain" dodge. That only means conditions are right for scattered rain, but there's only a one in five chance that it will rain "where you are".

When the probability is over 50 percent, you should take your umbrella.

My thoughts exactly, Hurricane Rita still comes to mind. With all the technology available, how can they not do a better job.

it's not a precise science IMO. as long as they don't make the weather sound more serious than it really is, i'm ok with that. some of the chief meteorologists do have that tendency.

it's not a precise science IMO. as long as they don't make the weather sound more serious than it really is, i'm ok with that. some of the chief meteorologists do have that tendency.

Hunker down everyone! . . .(Sorry that was Frank I know) :P

Good for Tim Heller, he will do good in the 6:00 p.m. spot.

I'd much rather the forecasters err on the side of caution than not.

If there's a chance for 10 inches of rain, I'd prefer them to warn people of the potential danger of driving, even if it turns out that we only get 3 inches of rain. Nobody wants to see a repeat of TS Allison, which damaged 85,000 cars because no one was expecting the torrential rains.

In fact, I've noticed MUCH more caution on the part of meteorologists since June 2001.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived