Houston Club Building At 811 Rusk St.

• 1 year later...

March 21, 2007, 11:48PM

Bank sells downtown Houston Club Building

Buyer plans renovations but hopes fitness center will stay

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Downtown's Houston Club Building has been sold to a commercial real estate firm planning a major renovation that could include a hotel or offices and residential units.

The building's new owner is considering several redevelopment scenarios.

If it remains offices, the company may pump around $30 million into renovating the space. It is also in talks with two operators interested in renovating the property into a hotel. And a third scenario is developing high-end residential space on the top floors with offices below.

Link

This building was part of the former "Houston Endowment" holdings, which included the remains of the Jesse Jones real estate empire. The Gulf Building, Texas Commerce Bank, Gulf Building Annex and the Houston Club building were part of this group.

I remember working in the ceiling of the men's locker room years ago, replacing rotten cast iron pipe below the kitchen. I was a skinny guy, so I got volunteered for these types of duty. I was on top of a ladder coming down out of the ceiling carrying pipe when I looked down to see who it was trying to get my attention. It was a couple of old guys, stark naked, inquiring on what I was working on. It scared the crap out of me. It seemed that these old guys, top executives from the past, liked to hang around for hours in just a towel or less, just like it was the most normal thing in the world. I myself don't even like showing my plumber's crack to anyone, much less the whole package. Wrinkled Memories! :o

This building was part of the former "Houston Endowment" holdings, which included the remains of the Jesse Jones real estate empire. The Gulf Building, Texas Commerce Bank, Gulf Building Annex and the Houston Club building were part of this group.

I remember working in the ceiling of the men's locker room years ago, replacing rotten cast iron pipe below the kitchen. I was a skinny guy, so I got volunteered for these types of duty. I was on top of a ladder coming down out of the ceiling carrying pipe when I looked down to see who it was trying to get my attention. It was a couple of old guys, stark naked, inquiring on what I was working on. It scared the crap out of me. It seemed that these old guys, top executives from the past, liked to hang around for hours in just a towel or less, just like it was the most normal thing in the world. I myself don't even like showing my plumber's crack to anyone, much less the whole package. Wrinkled Memories! :o

And I understand they still have sleep rooms where club members can take a nap, or whatever. Has anyone seen these?

• 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Club Building Sold
  • The title was changed to Houston Club Building At 811 Rusk St.

Archived