Granada Theater At 9231 Jensen Dr.

Jermaine

Does ANYONE have info on this movie house? Its on jensen drive...just south of Tidwell. It looks like it mightve been a big deal...back when the neighborhood in that area maybe wasnt so ghetto. Its locked up. Been boarded up for years: anyone ever remember going there? How old is it? It looks like an old style movie palace...relatively speaking...at least from the outside.

:)

It's the sister to the Capitan in pasadena - unfortunately my google searches all lead back to stuff i have posted :rolleyes:

Maybe it was also an Interstate Theatre? I was contacted about the Granada a little while ago by the guy who's making a documentary about the Interstate Theatres, (i saw the previews for it - looks really neat) but I am not sure if it was for that project or not... (http://www.interstatetheatres.com/)

The interior is beautiful, and the exterior looks good...as far as I know, though, nothing is in the works...

gran001.jpg

gran003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our Matching Pasadena, Texas Capitan Theater is involved in a Restoration Fund Drive Motion as of Late due to semi Long time Resident Mrs Nona Phillips. I am concerned about what the theater will be used for and how future Preservation & renovations will be funded. The outside has been fully restored but also changed, Our vertical signage reads " PASADENA" as your's reads GRANADA.

• 2 months later...

I pass by this old theatre on my way to work sometimes, Grenada Theatre.

I am just curious if anyone on here remembers when it was

operating as a theatre or has any stories about it. :D

I was suprised to see it and glad it was still standing.

Not a lot of new development in that area though...so a lot

of old buildings still stand.

• 9 months later...

The Granada was one fine, modern theater when built around 1950-51. At that time the area of Jensen/Berry, called North Houston was the last major shopping area south of Humble. It was a Saturday ritual to drive there to do the family grocery shopping and for kids to enjoy the movies. I went to the Granada so many times when I lived north at Mt Houston. I recall the price was 25 cents. The actor (and Texas war hero) Audie Murphy was once there to promote his WWII story in To Hell and Back. There was a true Prince's Drive In next door where all of North Houston hung out in the 50s. On the other side of the Granada was a bowling center that later became a Star Furniture. And just north on Jensen was the Epsom Drive In movie, which in earlier years was the Epsom Downs horse racing track.

• Like 1

Did a search on the Bob Bailey/ U.T. archive site, (Photos - Part 1) did not find the Granada listed. Many old theaters from that time were photographed by Mr. Bailey's studio. Maybe someone has a copy of the recently published theaters of Houston book, and can hunt in there.

Nice to know some theaters are stll standing...As least for now.

PS That Bailey site is priceless, shows interior shots as well of many theaters from that time period.

Just found this link with a little info on the Granada: http://www.houstondeco.org/list.html

Edited by NenaE

Amazing this topic came back. If memory serves well, this theater was very near North Line Mall?

One day (when you have nothing better to do) take a drive to where this theater is (or was) and drive south along Jenson into downtown. The view is so unusual and maybe because most of us never have or ever will take this drive again. Not knocking but it is a very different point of view of seeing the city. You almost feel like it's not Houston. Very unusual. :)

and just an FYI, this area is not exactly where you want to take family.

Edited by Vertigo58

Have you guys seen this: http://www.cinemahouston.info/lost.htm. (I'm sure some of you have.)

Has much info. and great pics. of many theaters.

EastEnders, if you go to Neighborhood theaters, independents, scroll down to bottom, on the left, has the Avalon/Capri theater off Lawndale & 75th?, was next to Leonards. Never went inside that one.

This site is wonderful. I love old theaters.

• 2 weeks later...
The Granada was one fine, modern theater when built around 1950-51. At that time the area of Jensen/Berry, called North Houston was the last major shopping area south of Humble. It was a Saturday ritual to drive there to do the family grocery shopping and for kids to enjoy the movies. I went to the Granada so many times when I lived north at Mt Houston. I recall the price was 25 cents. The actor (and Texas war hero) Audie Murphy was once there to promote his WWII story in To Hell and Back. There was a true Prince's Drive In next door where all of North Houston hung out in the 50s. On the other side of the Granada was a bowling center that later became a Star Furniture. And just north on Jensen was the Epsom Drive In movie, which in earlier years was the Epsom Downs horse racing track.

Do you remember another theater near the Granada called the "North Houston Movie Theatre"? My mom worked there back in the 50's. I would love to get her some info or photos, but I have hit a dead end. I know that it was next to Harold's (men's clothing) on Jensen. Any memories that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Does ANYONE have info on this movie house? Its on jensen drive...just south of Tidwell. It looks like it mightve been a big deal...back when the neighborhood in that area maybe wasnt so ghetto. Its locked up. Been boarded up for years: anyone ever remember going there? How old is it? It looks like an old style movie palace...relatively speaking...at least from the outside.

Many memories of the Granada Theatre from the early 50's to the early 60's. That strip of Jensen Dr. was called North Houston and was where you went on saturdays to do all your shoping, like going to the mall today. There was another movie theatre on the other end of the strip called the North Houston. Spent many saturdays in both theatre, Great memories. I have photo posted from 1977 on my flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15692756@N00/2398238435/

• 2 years later...

Pictures of the interior of Granada Theater on Jensen Dr. At one point it was turned into a church and later abandoned. I live in close proximity to the building. I managed to snap some photos of the inside. Although, the small collection is only composed of eleven takes(some borderline blurry), they are a small treat of the inside of an abandoned building with historic value in Houston.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Do you remember another theater near the Granada called the "North Houston Movie Theatre"? My mom worked there back in the 50's. I would love to get her some info or photos, but I have hit a dead end. I know that it was next to Harold's (men's clothing) on Jensen. Any memories that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly, the North Houston was in a strip shopping center near the intersection of Luell and Jensen. It was a very small theatre. It closed down by the early 1970's and became a hangout for the homeless when that area became blighted. It is still there, but in pretty sorry shape.

Jensen Drive used to be THE shopping area during the 1960's. My parents bought my school clothes at Danberg's Dept. Store. The Godwin Variety was an old fashion five and dime in the same area. And I always loved old HFD station 34 right across Berry Rd from the Firestone store...which is ironic as it is the only store of that time that still remains in business.

• 3 years later...

If I remember correctly, the North Houston was in a strip shopping center near the intersection of Luell and Jensen. It was a very small theatre. It closed down by the early 1970's and became a hangout for the homeless when that area became blighted. It is still there, but in pretty sorry shape.

Jensen Drive used to be THE shopping area during the 1960's. My parents bought my school clothes at Danberg's Dept. Store. The Godwin Variety was an old fashion five and dime in the same area. And I always loved old HFD station 34 right across Berry Rd from the Firestone store...which is ironic as it is the only store of that time that still remains in business.

I remember it still being open in the 80's. I saw the Fox and the Hound there. :( Memories.

• The title was changed to Granada Theater At 9231 Jensen Dr.