What Is Your Geographic Definition Of Cypress

mrfootball

Since there's really no right or wrong answer here. Based on your perception, what is your geographic definition of Cypress?

Some believe its everything in CFISD. Some believe its everything between Hwy 249 and FM 529 bounded by FM 1960 on out to Hockley. Some believe its the area between 249 and 290 bounded by FM 1960 on out to 2920. Some believe its the area right around Spring Cypress and 290, stretching back towards Grant Rd. Some believe its the 77429 and 77433 zip codes. It goes on.

What is your geographic definition of Cypress?

Edited by mrfootball

Since there's really no right or wrong answer here. Based on your perception, what is your geographic definition of Cypress?

Some believe its everything in CFISD. Some believe its everything between Hwy 249 and FM 529 bounded by FM 1960 on out to Hockley. Some believe its the area between 249 and 290 bounded by FM 1960 on out to 2920. Some believe its the area right around Spring Cypress and 290, stretching back towards Grant Rd. Some believe its the 77429 and 77433 zip codes. It goes on.

What is your geographic definition of Cypress?

when i think cypress i think way out 290 past 1960 (telge, fry and all the roads that have cypress in them) or you can say halfway to austin ;)

I mostly think of the hwy 290 freeway and how the growth of Cypress has made my school commutes miserable. I can't believe Cypress covers that much land, and hardly any of it is restricted use land that would keep houses from being built. I also think of farms, but it seems like there's more neighborhoods than farms by now.

since I used to work that way I'll take a stab....

Ranch Country is considered Hockley so Cypress' West Boundaries will probably end right outside of Fairfield or near Bauer when the new subdivision is completed...

Katy picks up around 529 or Clay Rd. so Cypress' south border would end around there

Jersey Village runs from East of the Beltway to a small area near Jones Road...

Businesses that are near 1960 and 290 aren't in Jersey Village claim Houston so I'll say Cypress' Eastern Boundaries will start near the high school (Cy-Fair) in the older, farming communities and go towards telge.

Cypress' Northern Borders are tricky....if you drive along Spring Cypress alot of those areas consider themselves Cypress still along with Barker Cypress....I'll say it ends somewhere along there because Tomball addresses begin to pick up closer to 249.

A free flowing blob of open space, dangling on the edge of the middle of nowhere, with no sence of cohesion. Thats what i think the geography of Cypress is.

Well said!!!

Mr. Foolsball - can you please give up on trying to incorporate Cypress? That may not be the purpose of your exercise, but the reality is that we live in a borderless Metro. There are very few natural land barriers that define one place or another.

On one hand, I think that it is great that the Cypress Creek Cultural District is branding the area for better local / regional distinction. This, of course, is more of a play toward city-wide public identification and value creation.

Yet, when one leaves the metro region, few people care about where Cypress is or the East End or Memorial or Clear Lake, etc as we are collectively Houston... whether you like it or not.

Boundaries are arbitrary.

I respectfully disagree. People should have the right to self-rule. As it stands now, Houston doesn't want to fully annex any part of NW Harris County, but its ETJ laws stand in the way of people who are trying to ensure/encourage the unique quality and character of their own communities.

Cypress was incorporated up until 1989.

Edited by mrfootball

What area would you consider Stonegate to be? Most people seem to consider it to be Cypress, some consider it to be Houston proper (because of the 70095 zip) and even a few might consider it to be Katy.

Stonegate is just south of the 290, above West (above the 529) and east Barker Cypress -- somewhat north of Copperfield, I believe.

I probably have the least historical background to work with here but given my brief experiences in the area, it seems that Cypress "feels" like it would include the area north of West Road (from the new Cy-Fair athletic facility) and then northeast to SH 249 @ Cypresswood, northwest to Skinner @ Grant, and then west from about FM 1960 and Jones Road to about Mason Road and US 290, near where the Fairfield development begins.

What area would you consider Stonegate to be? Most people seem to consider it to be Cypress, some consider it to be Houston proper (because of the 70095 zip) and even a few might consider it to be Katy.

Stonegate is just south of the 290, above West (above the 529) and east Barker Cypress -- somewhat north of Copperfield, I believe.

I consider it Cypress, even with the Houston address. Or you could call it Hot Wells, too. B)

Hot Wells? Never heard of that one. I'm still trying to learn all of the areas myself. Interesting. Thanks!

Just south of 290, just west of Barker Cypress (across from Stone Gate), is the Hot Wells Shooting Range. It sits at the site of an hot artesian well discovered by drillers in the early 1900's. Here's some more info:

Cypress, as with other places along the Gulf Coast , benefited from the turn-of-the-century oil boom. However, with Cypress the drilling took an unusual turn . . . A crew looking for oil discovered a hot artesian well. Soon there was a

Edited by CDeb

More:

The artesian well was discovered by wildcatters, in 1904, on the heels of Humble Oil's major oil discovery at Moonshine Hill (near Humble). The wildcatters lost their drill bit and, in the course of a two-week search for the bit, chanced upon the artestian well. It didn't take long for someone to see the well's money-making potential, and soon there was developed on the site the Houston Hot Well Sanitarium - a hotel resort of sorts where Houstonians and others went to enjoy the allegedly theraputic hot mineral waters. The resort was conveniently located right next to the Southern Pacific line that still runs parallel to 290 in that area. In addition to large concerte basins of mineral water in which guests would soak, the sanitarium also featured an Olympic-size swimming pool and a dancing/bingo hall. The resort appears to have been the only one of its kind ever developed in the Houston area.

While today the site is occupied by the Hot Wells Shooting Range, there are still some vestiges of the old Hot Wells to be seen.

That last bit is off a recent post on my site, and was just based on what I read elsewhere online. I didn't find much more info than what I included, but would be interested to learn more - and I'd really love to see a photo of that hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
A free flowing blob of open space, dangling on the edge of the middle of nowhere, with no sence of cohesion. Thats what i think the geography of Cypress is.
Well said!!!

Mr. Foolsball - can you please give up on trying to incorporate Cypress? That may not be the purpose of your exercise, but the reality is that we live in a borderless Metro. There are very few natural land barriers that define one place or another.

On one hand, I think that it is great that the Cypress Creek Cultural District is branding the area for better local / regional distinction. This, of course, is more of a play toward city-wide public identification and value creation.

Yet, when one leaves the metro region, few people care about where Cypress is or the East End or Memorial or Clear Lake, etc as we are collectively Houston... whether you like it or not.

Boundaries are arbitrary.

Actually, although mrfootball and I don't always agree on everything, I do think having a local government is a good idea. I don't think having decisions made by someone who lives and works 20-30 miles from where I live is a good thing. Most other places I've lived, driving that kind of distance takes you to another city completely and usually through other towns along the way. Elected officials must keep in mind that they serve the area that they represent. In other words it is their duty to make every effort to look out for their constituents.

Constituent - POLITICS a person living in an electoral district, especially one having the right to vote Encarta Dictionary: English (North America)

Just a few days ago one of my neighbors told me that the City of Cypress should do something about a concern he had. Apparently he wasn't aware that there is no such entity. I have heard complaints from other people in the Cypress area regarding the fact that the actions of Houston effect us but we have no voice. The residents of Cypress have no representation on the City Council and do not vote for the Mayor. Would anyone think that it is right for the City of Galveston to decide what Houston can and can not do or where Houston can and can not grow? If the thriving city on the Texas Coast had not been devastated by The Great Storm in 1900 it had the potential to overshadow Houston and residents of the Bayou City may have a different outlook on the surrounding cities, towns and communities that have Houston encroaching upon them and "limited purpose annexation" taking tax dollars from the suburbs to downtown.

I have heard complaints from other people in the Cypress area regarding the fact that the actions of Houston effect us but we have no voice.

Do you pay MUD taxes? If so, you do have a voice. It isnt as loud as it would be if you were officially in the Houston city limits, but you do have a voice ;)

Becoming part of Houston is probably a lot easier than trying to establish your own city.

I never went there as a teen, because my neighborhood had a pool...but lots of my school friends in the early 70's went to Hot Wells to go swimming. They also went to Tin Hall on the weekends to whoop it up. You could always tell who went to Tin Hall by the bruises on Monday morning from the fist fights they would get into! Ahh, the good old days!!

Actually, although mrfootball and I don't always agree on everything, I do think having a local government is a good idea. I don't think having decisions made by someone who lives and works 20-30 miles from where I live is a good thing. Most other places I've lived, driving that kind of distance takes you to another city completely and usually through other towns along the way. Elected officials must keep in mind that they serve the area that they represent. In other words it is their duty to make every effort to look out for their constituents.

FYI - you have elected officials that represent you, but happen to work in Austin or Washington DC and that is MORE than 20-30 miles away. The funny thing is that it does not matter where an elected official meets to govern, but what is more important is whether or not you fall inside the boundaries of a district of which this elected official represents. You argument is really irrelevant in the broader picture of this issue. Houston is one of the largest city's geographically-speaking in the country (if not the largest). So the mayor of the City of Houston should not be able to make decisions for someone that does not live within a 20-30 mile radius of him? Then what about the governor or president? Well, let's go create our own country then!!! :wacko:

~*~*~*~*~

Constituent - POLITICS a person living in an electoral district, especially one having the right to vote Encarta Dictionary: English (North America)

You live in an electoral district by the shear fact of living in the county... you are represented DIRECTLY on the Harris County Commissioners Court. For example, if you have pothole in your street or you want a traffic light installed or a water main is broken, you can call the Harris County Govt offices (or your MUD district for that last one). See? Representative government... yum!

~*~*~*~*~

Just a few days ago one of my neighbors told me that the City of Cypress should do something about a concern he had. Apparently he wasn't aware that there is no such entity. I have heard complaints from other people in the Cypress area regarding the fact that the actions of Houston effect us but we have no voice. The residents of Cypress have no representation on the City Council and do not vote for the Mayor. Would anyone think that it is right for the City of Galveston to decide what Houston can and can not do or where Houston can and can not grow? If the thriving city on the Texas Coast had not been devastated by The Great Storm in 1900 it had the potential to overshadow Houston and residents of the Bayou City may have a different outlook on the surrounding cities, towns and communities that have Houston encroaching upon them and "limited purpose annexation" taking tax dollars from the suburbs to downtown.

You gotta be FREAKING kidding me!!! You think that Galveston would have eliminated or mitigated the need for Houston? First off, Galveston is on an ISLAND! Memo there, huh? It's over 50 miles away from downtown Houston. Houston had already bested its closest rival (Harrisburg) by the 1870s by convincing the railroads to relocate. Remember the seal for the City of Houston has a railroad symbol? Well, it's not because we love to play Monopoly here. As Houston was able to get a leg up on the railroad infrastructure over other cities in the region, Houston became an economic power. Galveston may have had an advantage of being a port, but all rail off of the island would still have to travel through Houston. Thus, Galveston would never have permanently overshadowed Houston, IMHO.

Last thought - how would have Galveston's potential success (if no 1900 hurricane) really limited Houston "limited purpose annexation" policy on the northwest-side of town / Cypress-area some 100 years later? Maybe if Cypress was located closer to Clear Lake, you may have had a possible argument, but that just didn't end up being the case.

I lived in Jacksonville, Florida, the largest city in America, for about 9 years. In the 70's the city expanded the city limits to occupy the entirety of Duval County. By doing this many services that would have been duplicated on the county level, city (of Jacksonville) and in each of the townships that also were inside Duval County. I thought is was a fine arrangement. One police force instead of the county sheriffs and city police, one fire department and so on. Houston has not done this. Rather it seams that COH is avoiding the additional cost by not expanding the city limits to include growing areas that could be included. COH does see the advantage of collecting revenue from these areas of growth by making agreements for "limited annexation". The sales taxes that are collected go to COH to be spent on Houston. The council will decide where that money is spent and there is no guarantee that any of it will be spent on the areas where it was collected from.

My opinion on it is this - Do it or don't but pick one or the other. Annexation of a community, neighborhood, subdivision, small towns or even the whole county should be like a marriage, you must take the good with the bad. SPA's should all be banned and existing contracts allowed to expire. For example, if Houston grows to include the area on either side of FM1960, Champions, Cypresswood and Louetta then it should also take in the subdivisions, apartments, roads and water management for the entire area bounded by 290 on the west, Cypress Creek (the water not some organization) on the north and I-45 on the east.

As I understand it, the purpose of ETJ is to allow cities to grow so that they include the new suburbs and communities that form during a city's natural expansion. Obviously, COH doesn't see the need for this except to generate revenue. Harris County is restricted to only certain specific authority as designated in the Texas Constitution. A municipality with "home-rule" is granted greater authority and therefore is better able to address local issues as they arise. If Houston doesn't want to grow to meet the needs of suburbs then Cypress, Kline and Spring should all stand on their own and Katy and Tomball should be allowed to extend out to include their new growth.

Sorry, didn't intent to rant but I believe my intentions have been misinterpreted.

Justin ~ I respect your reply. Thanks for clearing this up because I did misunderstand your previous post.

By the way, I don't know how long that you have lived in Houston, but there has been (and I don't know how formal) some talk of merging county and city government management agencies or functions. This could be related to specific redundant department(s) or a theoretical discussion of the comprehensive govt or I could be wrong altogether.

Either way, like many others, I am for an efficient govt that uses its resources responsibly. Yet, I also very much believe that we as a society have a responsibility to offer additional services that better our society (i.e. arts, transportation) or for those that are incapable of providing for themselves. Often, the govt or private foundations are the vehicle for executing this societal responsibility. [i will hop off my soapbox now.] ^_^

~*~*~*~

Separately, I do believe that the smaller cities around Houston have ETJs as well. For ex, Tomball has been working with the Houston Airport System (and by extension to the City of Houston) to acquire Hooks Airport as a reliever airport for IAH. Hooks apparently falls inside Tomball's ETJ. Thus, it's very well possible that Tomball's / Katy's ETJ may further box in the "City of Cypress". I know that there is no link between the City of Tomball and Tomball ISD, but personally I am surprised as to how far south Tomball ISD drops down SH 249 (and how far east it goes - into the Woodlands).

Separately, I do believe that the smaller cities around Houston have ETJs as well. For ex, Tomball has been working with the Houston Airport System (and by extension to the City of Houston) to acquire Hooks Airport as a reliever airport for IAH. Hooks apparently falls inside Tomball's ETJ.

Sorry for going off topic, but do you have any links to an article about this, or can you explain how it would work?

This is not quite what I was looking for, but here is a link to the City of Tomball's Charter. On PDF page 41-42 (actual page #33-34 per document), there are discussions of the usage of the ETJ for Tomball. On PDF page 53 (actual page #45 per document), at the bottom is the definition for the city's ETJ. Thus, Tomball's ETJ is 2 miles wide from the Corporate limits of the City.

So I am proposing that we start a protest to protect all of us in the destructive path of Tomball's unfair and unrepresentative ETJ. Power to the people and down with the Man! :blush:

I have lived in the Houston area since 1998, first renting in (Greater) Katy for about a 1-1/2 years before deciding to buy in Cypress.

I have been doing a little research and I have come across some things that you have mentioned. If you look at the Houston Planning Commission's Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan (MTFP) you will see that Houston's ETJ extends to and surrounds Tomball and Katy just like it does the villages near Memorial City (Spring Valley, Hillshire Village, Hedwig Village, Hunters Creek, Bunker Hill and Piney Point).

I also ran across a memo a few days ago that discussed the City of Tomball planning to request that the COH release Hooks. In other words, Tomball is hemmed in by Houston and can not grow as it naturally should. Instead it must ask permission each time it decides to extend its boundaries. The distance of an ETJ is determined by the city's population and because Houston has over 100,000 the ETJ is set at 5 miles. Apparently, the larger city's ETJ overrules any smaller city. Looking at the MTFP map shows this clearly.