Severe Weather Observations

Guest Marty

2-3 inches of rain so far tonight on the north and west sides of town.

Map says our side has had less than two tenths of an inch of rain, but it's been coming down steadily for about 1-1/2 hours here.

http://maps.hcoem.org/hcrainfall.php

We are NW side and it came down pretty heavy here.

Had some localized flooding yesterday morning, because apparently my neighbors have better things to do than remove all the dead leaves their live oaks have shed over the past couple of months. :angry:

Those leaves do a very efficient job of clogging storm drains.

• 1 month later...
Guest Marty

We have some stormy weather moving into our area, let us know if there is a tree down in the road or flooding.

"Over 8,000 Lightning Strikes within the last......."

I didn't pay attention, but I heard the first part on the news. I feel like I'm at a club with so many flashing lights, be them wreckers or lightning bolts. Its really cool to see the clouds at night (even if for a brief second).

Has anyone noticed the quality of lightning looks different...? It seems more brilliant (brighter, whiter, closer) lately.

Am I just imagining it?

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but the color of lightning can vary. I saw some with a slight purple tint yesterday evening and have seen lightning that was slightly pink and even green in the past.

Has anyone noticed the quality of lightning looks different...? It seems more brilliant (brighter, whiter, closer) lately.

Am I just imagining it?

I have yet to be close enough to see lightning actually strike the ground.

Even from afar, it always seems that lightning is always just that, far away.

Has anyone on here seen lightning make contact with the ground before?

• 1 month later...
Guest Marty

One day when i was walking home from school a lighting bolt hit a tree 50-100' away.

I could not see for anything for 20 seconds.

Archived