Greek restaurants

I've had some very nice dinners at Mykonos. It has been a few years since I've been there, maybe they've gone downhill. On weekend nights they used to have a Greek band and belly dancers...very entertaining. I watched the owner of Istanbul party it up there one night...great fun.

As far as Niko Niko's...it's definitely good food, but it ain't cheap, and I have no idea how you get anything "fast" there. The last few time we've been there, there's a 10-minute line to get to the cashier. We also can't seem to get out of there for less than $30 for dinner for two...so much for "fast food". I really can't talk, though...I keep standing in the 15-minute lines at Frenchy's every few weeks.

I don't eat the Greek food at Bibas. I tried a few times, but I'm just not impressed. The eggs with chili, on the other hand...

I've heard good things about Alexander the Great Greek near the Galleria.

Ate at Yia-Yia Mary's once a few years back. I thought it was good...parking isn't easy, though.

It's not that Mykonos is necessarily bad, but to me, it's just not very exciting either. Given the choice between it and Yia Yia Mary's, I'll pay a little more for Yia Yia's atmosphere (and their food is good, and you certainly get a lot of it).

I haven't been feeling the Niko Niko's love lately. The line moves pretty quickly, and I've never had much of a wait before finding a table, but the last couple of times I've been there it has taken forever for my name to be called and once it is, and I get my food back to my table, it's cold. But when it's good, it's very good - I LOVE their lamb kebob.

I, too, have heard good things about Alexander the Great, but have not tried it yet.

i stick with bibas these days - food and selection is good, and they're always open.

used to frequent niko niko's, but even with the recent expansion it is more of a headache than anything else (although the food is good, and i also heard they have a great hamburger :unsure: )

will have to check out alexander the great

As far as Niko Niko's...it's definitely good food, but it ain't cheap, and I have no idea how you get anything "fast" there. The last few time we've been there, there's a 10-minute line to get to the cashier. We also can't seem to get out of there for less than $30 for dinner for two...so much for "fast food". I really can't talk, though...I keep standing in the 15-minute lines at Frenchy's every few weeks.

This is where it helps to know Dimitri, the owner. He and I go waaaaaaayyyyyyy back, about 14 years or so. I helped open the second restaurant on Winrock and San Felipe back in 1996 or so, unfortunately, it failed because of the location. The Gyros at Niko Niko's are unbeatable, and the fries are homemade, and the plates are plentiful. Marvin Zindler always puts Dimitiri's restaurant on his "Blue Ribbon" list.

This is where it helps to know Dimitri, the owner. He and I go waaaaaaayyyyyyy back, about 14 years or so. I helped open the second restaurant on Winrock and San Felipe back in 1996 or so, unfortunately, it failed because of the location. The Gyros at Niko Niko's are unbeatable, and the fries are homemade, and the plates are plentiful. Marvin Zindler always puts Dimitiri's restaurant on his "Blue Ribbon" list.

Niko Niko's biggest problem is that his food is too good.

I'm happy with just a plate of rice and their potatoes...if they can make those basic foods as exciting as they are, you know they make some good food.

However, last few times I've been there, it was tough to find parking and tough to find a table. It's actually easier just to order to go...[so take a hint and get your orders to go, folks, so I can find a table!] ;)

Harry's (318 Tuam @ Bagby)

The menu isn't exclusively Greek - lots of traditional cafeteria-style foods. Clean, inexpensive and large portions.

Harry's for the value

Niko Niko's for the flavor

Chatters and Fadi's [Mediteranian including Greek] for just good food and atmosphere

Biba's ones a meal

Niko Niko's

AFter spending a few weeks in the Greek Islands last year, I fell in LOVE with greek salads and greek cooking.

After traveling all over the world, and to just about every state in the USa, Greek islands are my number one favorite.

Im planning on going in another few months with my gf, and family. :D

I don't have a recommendation, but this topic caught my eye and brought back memories of a place that had good Greek food at the time and was a really fun place to be whenever there was a Greek ship in port. I'm referring to the Athens Bar and Grill that was out near the ship channel. We went there many times back in the 50's-60's. Is it still there? If so, what is the food like now? In addition to the Greek cuisine, there was always a good show that included belly dancers. The most fun was watching the Greek sailors getting the females in attendance to the dance floor to join them in Greek dances.

I don't have a recommendation, but this topic caught my eye and brought back memories of a place that had good Greek food at the time and was a really fun place to be whenever there was a Greek ship in port. I'm referring to the Athens Bar and Grill that was out near the ship channel. We went there many times back in the 50's-60's. Is it still there? If so, what is the food like now? In addition to the Greek cuisine, there was always a good show that included belly dancers. The most fun was watching the Greek sailors getting the females in attendance to the dance floor to join them in Greek dances.

Wasn't there a "Zorba the Greek" restaurant down around the ship channel, and they had bellydancers and the whole THEME going on ?

Here you go. The building is still there, but it is no longer a Greek restaurant.

AthensRest.jpg

To me, the number of belly dancers tends to be inversely related to the quality of the restaurant.

Back in the "good ol' days", when you went to Athens Bar and Grill, they would check you for weapons at the door. If they didn't find any, they issued you one!

Nothing on that order when we went there in the time-frame I mentioned. It was pretty decent from what I saw... except, on occasion, when some of the sailors might have ingested a little too much adult beverage. However, they usually behaved themselves.

My first time there, I remember seeing a couple of the niches in the wall that had a bare light bulb hanging by the wiring. Man, you just can't buy class like that!

I went there last about 6 or 7 years ago on a blind date. It was a lot of fun, even if I was the only one in the place not drinking.

...There's also The Greek Deli in Clear Lake... the guy who owns it is friends with Dimitri and apparently Dimitri told him that he has to keep his restaurant in CL because the food is better than Niko Niko's! :) I think they're about the same, personally, but it's pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Mykonos closing its doors:

Mykonos Island Restaurant on Richmond will serve its last moussaka and grilled red snapper on Friday.

"Its lease has ended," Mykonos lawyer Gus Pappas says. "H-E-B (which controls the lease) does not want to extend it with us." H-E-B had no comment on its decision.

Mykonos has filed a lawsuit against H-E-B for revenue loss because of a leaking roof. Neither party would discuss the case.

With the closing drawing near, owner Frixos Hrisinis is scrambling to find employment for his 22 waiters, bartenders, cooks and dishwashers.

"I worry for them. About 80 percent of my employees have been with me for more than a decade," Hrisinis says. "I was almost positive we would have until next year. We negotiated until the last moment. I was hoping, just hoping."

For 27 years, Mykonos has served as one of the city's Mediterranean hubs, where transplants from Greece, Turkey, Italy, Syria, Israel and elsewhere came to dine and mingle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...nt/5087264.html