Sam Houston Coliseum At 801 Bagby St.

Vertigo58

I tried to search past topics and thought for sure these were covered so unless I am mistaken so can someone please fill in the blanks?

1. Were the Coliseum & Music Hall built as one or rather in unison to compliment each other?

2. Built what year/years? and demolished?

3. Is there any documentation that could indicate which performers played there?

I know for sure I went to Ringling Bros/Barnum circus at the Coliseum around 1966 as a child. It seemed like Disneyland, only inside. First Rock Concert 1976 saw Boston w/Styx and too many after that to name. Glad I saved my ticket stubs.

My mom told me she saw Frank Sinatra twice when the Music Hall was quite new. Frank's bobby-soxer era so it must have been way back.

• Like 1

I tried to search past topics and thought for sure these were covered so unless I am mistaken so can someone please fill in the blanks?

1. Were the Coliseum & Music Hall built as one or rather in unison to compliment each other?

2. Built what year/years? and demolished?

3. Is there any documentation that could indicate which performers played there?

I know for sure I went to Ringling Bros/Barnum circus at the Coliseum around 1966 as a child. It seemed like Disneyland, only inside. First Rock Concert 1976 saw Boston w/Styx and too many after that to name. Glad I saved my ticket stubs.

My mom told me she saw Frank Sinatra twice when the Music Hall was quite new. Frank's bobby-soxer era so it must have been way back.

http://www.faculty.missouristate.edu/d/Den...rock_concer.htm

This might help

Were the Coliseum & Music Hall built as one or rather in unison to compliment each other?

It's a popular misconception that the Sam Houston Coliseum was built in 1928 for the Democratic National Convention. Actually, the Coliseum we all knew and loved for so many years was not the same structure that was built in 1928.

Houston banker-developer-political mover/shaker Jesse Jones lured the convention to Houston by promising to build a new convention hall. He had a large hall built on that site in the record time of six months. Unfortunately, it was made completely of wood, which is why he was able to build it so fast. Sam Houston Hall wasn't much more than a very big cavernous barn, but it did what it was intended to do and the convention came and went.

Sam Houston Hall, made entirely of wood, was a giant fire-trap, so in 1936, it was razed, and the permanent brick-mortar-steel Sam Houston Coliseum and Music Hall took its place. They were built at the same time, and both were demolished in 1998. The Hobby Center and parking garage now occupy that site.

As for who performed in the old Music Hall, my goodness just about everybody who was anybody, and hordes of nobodies. It was the home of the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Ballet, Theater Under the Stars and other local arts organizations. National touring companies brought Broadway plays and musicals, and just about every singer, singing group, musician, band and musical aggregation you can name or imagine did shows there. I even saw a troupe of Russian folk dancers one night. It would be impossible to produce a complete list.

Edited by FilioScotia

and on the scandalous side (my mom mentioned this)

Ella Fitzgerald was a victim in an early attempt to integrate the classical music audience in Houston, Texas. In 1955 she, Dizzy Gillespie, and Illinois Jacquet were arrested by the vice squad before a Jazz at the Philharmonic concert at Music Hall, charged with gambling backstage. They were released in time to perform, on payment of a $50 bail. Promoter Norman Granz, also arrested, indicated that the raid was a set-up in response to his insistence that the concert not be segregated.

and on the scandalous side (my mom mentioned this)

Ella Fitzgerald was a victim in an early attempt to integrate the classical music audience in Houston, Texas.

Oh my god I had forgotten all about that incident. Norman Granz was an early hero in the civil rights struggle. Here's the story of that incident in the Music Hall from the WikiPedia.

"Norman Granz is generally remembered also for his notable anti-racist position and for the battles he consequently fought for his artists (many of whom were black, perhaps the majority), in times and places where skin color was the cause of open discrimination.

In 1955, in Houston, Texas, he personally removed the labels "White" and "Negro" that would have separated the audience in the auditorium where two concerts were to be performed by (among others) Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie; between the two shows they were found playing cards in the dressing room and arrested by local police, but after some nervous negotiations allowed to perform the second show, and only formally released after that.

Oscar Peterson recounted how Granz once continued to insist that white cabdrivers take his black artists as customers even while a policeman was pointing a loaded pistol at his stomach from close range (Granz won). Granz also was among the first to pay white and black artists the same salary and to give them equal treatment even in minor details, like dressing rooms.

Beloved by his artists (in part because he paid more than average), he had three main goals, as he repeatedly and frankly declared: to fight against racism, to give listeners a good product, and to earn money from good music."

The Beatles' only Houston performances were at the Coliseum.

According to the book Elvis in Texas, Elvis played the Coliseum for two shows (matinee and evening, commonplace in those days), 10/13/56.

Don't forget the Rodeo

The 75 year old Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was held in the Coliseum in the 40s, 50s and 60s, before it moved to the Astrodome in the late 60s. Over those years, when it was called "The Fat Stock Show", many movie stars and celebrities were part of the show in the Coliseum. It's where I saw Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Gene Autry, James Arness, and a bunch of others.

My favorite Coliseum memories

include seeing Johnny Cash perform with the Carter Family, the Statler Brothers, Carl Perkins and the Tennesee Three. I remember that June Carter Cash wasn't on that tour because she was back home having their baby, who they named John Carter Cash.

Mother Maybelle Carter was there though, and seeing that grand lady performing old classic Carter Family songs was one of the musical high points of my life. It was a helluva show.

My wife and I also enjoyed pro wrestling, and one memorable night we saw Andre the Giant. He was HUGE, but not as big as his promoter claimed.

We also loved pro hockey, and the Houston Apollos hockey team on their home ice in the Coliseum.

Edited by FilioScotia

That link was perfect! (and everyone elses additional notes)

My big sister was lucky enough to see the Fab 4 there early 60's. I got to see everything from mid 70's rock stars to early 80's groups like Devo, B-52s at Music Hall. Glory days for sure.

My big sister was lucky enough to see the Fab 4 there early 60's. I got to see everything from mid 70's rock stars to early 80's groups like Devo, B-52s at Music Hall. Glory days for sure.

My brother was probably at the same Fab 4 concert. I saw a few concerts there but the ones I remember were at Hofeinze Pavillion... like Elton John Goodbye Yellowbrick Road tour, Bad Company, Queen, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, George Harrison. Too many to remember. Went to the rodeo every year it was there from 1962 until it was moved to the Dome. I would post a picture of me and the fam going to the rodeo where you can see part of the Coliseum in the background but I'm not that computer savvy. I have it as a jpg in my picture folder and I know how to attach it to an email but not on something like this.

http://www.faculty.missouristate.edu/d/Den...rock_concer.htm

Great link. Man, I saw all those concerts they have the posters for. Still have the same Hendrix poster. I really miss the Music Hall. It was the last great venue for concerts. Acoustics were wonderful. Remember seeing Pink Floyd there. They wouldn't have been the same in a bigger hall.

That's my complaint about Houston now. There is no decent place to hear concerts anymore. All we have is Cynthia Woods and the Toyota Center. They both suck. The Summit, before it became the Godautorium, was pretty decent. Wish the city hadn't let it go.

^ i was thinking the same thing about indoor music venues...blah.

here's a picture of 45 construction with the coliseum on the right-hand side

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/histor...seum_5_1961.jpg

and a chronicle article at the time of demolition, and timeline:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1998_3059018

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1998_3101404

(login required)

There is no decent place to hear concerts anymore. All we have is Cynthia Woods and the Toyota Center.

Correct you are! Cynthia Woods is a pretty bad embarrasment to our city. If you think its bad now, summer time is the pits. By the time you walk from your car to the venue your covered in sweat. Not a pleasant feeling in company. Entrance is like going through customs. Even grandmas are being frisked. That place was plain bad planning incarnate. Worse, they added a tall concrete Berlin-like wall all around to block from coming or going. Chills. Music Hall was the coolest of the cool!

Some of the groups I recall seeing at the Coliseum in the early 60's included the Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, and the Four Tops. KILT DJ Wierd Beard was there too. One memorable event was some Shriners Benefit - the Coliseum was packed with spectators and junior and senior high school bands from all over Houston. The highlight of that event was seeing the performances of those girl drum and bugle corps drill teams like the Reagan Redcoats, Bellaire Belles, and especially Austin Brigade with their kilts and bagpipes. Those drill teams are long gone.

The highlight of that event was seeing the performances of those girl drum and bugle corps drill teams like the Reagan Redcoats, Bellaire Belles, and especially Austin Brigade with their kilts and bagpipes. Those drill teams are long gone.

I think you mean the Stephen F. Austin/Mustangs Scottish Brigade right? 1979 was about the last time they wrapped it up. Was kind of cool seeing them walk past my house over the years all dressed up plaid skirts/berets and bagpipes. One girl I remember was a dead ringer for Marsha Brady. We were just blocks away from the school and we could always hear the bagpipes practicing from our backyard. We would always hear the band playing songs like "Apollo 100", Hot Butter Popcorn" & "I'm Your friendly Stranger in a Black Sedan".

Your right another distant memory.

Edited by Vertigo58

The highlight of that event was seeing the performances of those girl drum and bugle corps drill teams like the Reagan Redcoats, Bellaire Belles, and especially Austin Brigade with their kilts and bagpipes. Those drill teams are long gone.

I think you mean the Stephen F. Austin/Mustangs Scottish Brigade right? 1979 was about the last time they wrapped it up. Was kind of cool seeing them walk past my house over the years all dressed up plaid skirts/berets and bagpipes. One girl I remember was a dead ringer for Marsha Brady. We were just blocks away from the school and we could always hear the bagpipes practicing from our backyard. We would always hear the band playing songs like "Apollo 100", Hot Butter Popcorn" & "I'm Your friendly Stranger in a Black Sedan".

Your right another distant memory.

Yes, it was the Scottish Brigade from Austin HS. I only saw them that one night in the Coliseum, around 1963, but they and those other drill teams were so impressive. I understand that some of the other teams now survive as Dance Teams but the Brigade is just a memory. They do have a good website scottishbrigade.org That Shriner's event in the Coliseum was the annual Shrine Ball - I was there as a member of the Pershing Jr. High band. Forgive me, I digress!

That Shriner's event in the Coliseum was the annual Shrine Ball

You may be thinking of the Arabia Shrine Circus, which was held annually in the Coliseum for many years. My own kids grew up going to see it every year.

And by the way, the Shrine Circus is still going strong. It will be in April at the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds in Rosenberg. Tickets are priced for families, and proceeds benefit Shriners' Childrens' Hospitals and other Shriner causes.

Edited by FilioScotia

You may be thinking of the Arabia Shrine Circus, which was held annually in the Coliseum for many years. My own kids grew up going to see it every year.

It went way back... as I grew up going to it in the 40's. The highlights for me were the lion taming act with Clyde Beatty (sp?) and the man being shot out of the cannon as the finale. It was very hard for me to keep up with all the action going on in the three rings.

It was not the circus. At this Shrine event the student groups I mentioned above were featured parts of the program, even my junior high band played. It was a very large, well attended, dress up, coat and tie prodcution. I believe it was an annual event, possibly called the Shrine Ball or Shrine Pageant. But it was a very different event from the Arabia Shrine Circus which my family also attended in the Coliseum.

In the 1940's and 1950's, the time of my youth, the Coliseum and Music Hall were the entire entertainment venues of the city. FilioScotia has nailed most of the activities. We went every year to the Fat Stock Show, where I shook hands with Roy and Dale (had front row seats) and to the RBBB Circus. I was petrified of the various people flying out of the cannon and it was so loud! One performance, an arielist actually fell doing a stunt sans net and was carried out, unconscious. It was huge and very impressive and no way could you keep up with everything at once. But, we did love it. The cotton candy was the best!

On another thread, we were discussing Hallie Pritchard Dance Studio and I posted a picture of me in my Daisy Mae costume. Well, that performance was in the Coliseum. Imagine being a tiny six year old (albeit with others) in the center of that enormous floor trying to perform. It was an awesome experience with all the lights, yet a cavernous darkness in the seating area.

The Music Hall was wonderful. All the visiting virtuosos and the symphony, plus we were the fortunate recipients of the New York Broadway touring companies' performances. Some fairly important stars were in the companies and it was entrancing. We had season tickets through the 1960's and I believe "Oliver" was the last big production I saw there.

The "other" place that Houston had for entertainment was the, in my day, "Old City Auditorium." It was disreputable and scary by the time I had to venture there for Houston Youth Symphony rehearsals, around 1951. I am sure that the popular wrestling of Paul Bosch fame was held there, although I never attended any.

Have a handfull of my own.

Not sure who may remember, but I know for a fact that at Foley's downtown they used to give you a FREE poster to the concert you had just bought tickets for. I saved a few. I know I have Boston & Black Sabbath for sure 76.

The ones that would be of real interest are when several bands would tour at once in a group. For example:

Rock N Roll Marathon 77' featured Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath & Humble Pie.

I still can't believe Peter Frampton did his free concert at Miller Outdoor that summer & free beer?! Outrageous! There were too many freaks to count!

We can't forget U of H Main campus had great shows ie: Iron Butterfly, The Tubes. Then the Jeppeson Stadium next door had some wild concerts as well ie: The Eagles - Hotel California Tour, Pink Floyds - The Wall tour, man that one took the cake! The heavy rain made it even more surreal. We were lucky, all we had to do was gather all the long - haired, hippies we knew in the neighborhood & stroll across the frwy to the campus. Barefoot and all.

We thought we were in Woodstock - Houston! :wacko:

A lot of good stuff happened there including my High School graduation in 1976. Talk about the greatest show on earth. lol.

I bet a lot of you also graduated at the Music Hall.

joe

My high school (Westbury 66) had our Baccalaureate at the Music Hall and our graduation at the Coliseum. The day after we "graduated" we had two more finals, so instead of diplomas, all we got was a rolled up piece of paper with a ribbon tied around it. Our "real" graduation took place in the hallway of the school when we went back to get our diplomas.