• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know these type of circle traffic flow deals have been discussed several times on this forum, this one in particular has always had bad accidents as long as I can remember. I hate having to end up at that spot and going through it. Was always hellish now just added cell phone usage as you pass through.

Since we are nearby in proximity of the DPS facility/station on Dover street, what is that nabe called? Is it considered part of Park Place?

There are numerous rare craftsman style homes in that old hood can even see them from 45 as you enter 610 interchange.

Since we are nearby in proximity of the DPS facility/station on Dover street, what is that nabe called? Is it considered part of Park Place?

There are numerous rare craftsman style homes in that old hood can even see them from 45 as you enter 610 interchange.

yeah it is park place too.

btw..the drivers license office moved to winkler (the part that turns east to galveston rd) last year.

yeah it is park place too.

btw..the drivers license office moved to winkler (the part that turns east to galveston rd) last year.

Wow after all these years! They (DPS) finally moved. The old spot was so inadequate. The Fire Marshall must or should have issued that joint fines for crowding so many into that outdated shack.

That area must be a very old section of the city. I do not recall anyone ever bringing it up on Haif? Check out the craftsman homes one pleasant evening. They must date to the 1910-20's? I bet Isuredid can find some good maps and stories on this nabe.

We calleth out to the Isuredid! ^_^

That area must be a very old section of the city. I do not recall anyone ever bringing it up on Haif? Check out the craftsman homes one pleasant evening. They must date to the 1910-20's? I bet Isuredid can find some good maps and stories on this nabe.

park place was platted in 1911

it incorporated in 1912 and was an independent municipality until it was annexed by houston in 1929.

the old city hall and fire station used to be where park place methodist church sits today.

charlton park is named after the only mayor of park place.

My tax guy is still on Broadway. My family has been using him since the 70s.

That stretch of Broadway has been annexed by Mexico. That's all I can say.

not if it's h&r block. i saw their 50's brick building on the sw corner of dixie/broadway was demolished recently.

:) I remember suicide circle, by the florist. Not exactly a good thing to have right by the driver's license place. I got my dr.license there, the circle wasn't part of the test. You're right, there are some neat old bungalows over by the DPS. They still catch my eye when heading north on 45. So do the little 1960's apts.I went to Sunday school when I was little bitty at the Methodist church. Surprised it's still untouched. I remember the apartments down the street, (on Pk. Place)towards Old Galveston rd. on the rt.They caught my eye, even when little, because you drove "down" the drive to enter them. Has anyone mentioned the original Kolache Shoppe. Right off Park Place, north on Telephone, on left. Burger Chef, on Reveille, a quick spin on those tall orange "bar stools" was fun while dad was ordering.

After much hunting and many " &%$#@ " words, I found these...

post-5666-1206111552_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1206111596_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1206111621_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1206111645_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1206111664_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1206111680_thumb.jpg

Wow you were able to capture some of the coolest brick modern homes in Houston! (your last set of photos) They are near where Telephone/Reveille/Bellfort meet, I am sure.

and that was the Pharmacy that had the barstools and old soda fountain. Has anyone ever walked in side of that HUGE Methodist church? I often wondered what it was like inside especially in the 1950's? I better do some research before it gets bulldozed for another taqueria addition.

Wonder if they let you take a peek inside? I will call. I do not think Haif has any past stories of it. :) Looks like a perfect spot for a movie shoot.

Here it is and was discussed briefly under Holy Places back in 2005.

http://www.gardenvillasumc.org/templates/S...0651&Style=

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that nabe directly behind Park Place Methodist Church, is it also considered Park Place? ie; or directly behind where the Blue Oyster Bar used to be. (Same hood).

Then there is that park that was so picturesque from a distance before the local thugs started hanging out there. Lately it appears HPD has chased them all out, dreaming maybe? The park name?

The homes way behind the park with the winding roads are and always have been very elegant and are for the most part forgotten by any newcomers to the city. Perhaps thats a good thing. The owners seem vigilant to ever give in to anyone trying buy them out and turn into rentals. Good for them! :D

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that nabe directly behind Park Place Methodist Church, is it also considered Park Place? ie; or directly behind where the Blue Oyster Bar used to be. (Same hood).

Then there is that park that was so picturesque from a distance before the local thugs started hanging out there. Lately it appears HPD has chased them all out, dreaming maybe? The park name?

The homes way behind the park with the winding roads are and always have been very elegant and are for the most part forgotten by any newcomers to the city. Perhaps thats a good thing. The owners seem vigilant to ever give in to anyone trying buy them out and turn into rentals. Good for them! :D

Yeah, that's the neighborhood I was talking about in the last post of "Meadowbrook Arches", Charleton Park, hood behind that Italian restaurant "Dante's" with the flame logo, Oyster Bar rest. next door. Lots are large, I'm guessing 1940's when most homes built there. You always find those sloping lands around the bayous. I'm pretty sure that's still Park Place.

The Burger Haus on Park Place Blvd. Is it gone and when did they leave? They served some of the biggest, juiciest burgers this side of the Grand Canyon!

You are right about them having the best burgers around. Sometime in the late 80s they changed owners and started going downhill. In the early 90s they changed names to The Park Place Grill for a couple of years and then finally closed permanantly. The building is still empty.

joe

suicide circle is what we called it.

Park Place/Broadway/I-45 circle is talked about here, at that Freeway site musicman & gnu mention. Everyone should check it out, it really has some interesting info. and pics...

Electric Railway Viaduct (around U. of H.) p.146

Broadway circle p.147

Gulfgate Shopping City (good aerial shot in color) p.156

link: http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfreeways/e...eeway_72ppi.pdf

on the gulfgate pic, you can see on rt. of mall where plum creek flows, on left, where movie theater, carousel motel, & peppermint park would soon be located.

If you look at the 1948 photo of 45 @ Telephone Road, the homes in the background are still there! I still do not understand why they dug below street level to create this overpass. Bad idea. Has flooded over and over again, not to mention 18 wheeler's getting jambed as they pass under. It was so common for everyone to say "Hey there's another truck stuck under the overpass". Let's just cross our finger's they don't paint the columns bright pastels ie; Wayside intersection. As mentioned before this whole section needs to be rebuilt NEW.

Back to Park Place topic, I wonder if there are records to show how many fatalities have occured as a result of the bad planning of that circle. Its worse now with the tall palms and oleander to hide or blind drivers as they pass through? Greater East End Management added that several years ago. Though meant in best of intentions, it has double the dangerous maze. Better have a rabbit's foot as you enter. :D

You are right about them having the best burgers around. Sometime in the late 80s they changed owners and started going downhill. In the early 90s they changed names to The Park Place Grill for a couple of years and then finally closed permanantly. The building is still empty.

Regarding The Burger Haus:

They also made a killer steak sandwich and onion rings bigger than your first.

Back to Park Place topic, I wonder if there are records to show how many fatalities have occured as a result of the bad planning of that circle. Its worse now with the tall palms and oleander to hide or blind drivers as they pass through? Greater East End Management added that several years ago. Though meant in best of intentions, it has double the dangerous maze. Better have a rabbit's foot as you enter. :D

Do you really think it's worse now than it was before they installed traffic lights? I was relieved when they installed them -- geez I can't remember how many years ago that was, maybe 20? But I knew lots of people, including myself, who were in wrecks before the lights, but I thought it was better know. Anyone know?

If you look at the 1948 photo of 45 @ Telephone Road, the homes in the background are still there! I still do not understand why they dug below street level to create this overpass. Bad idea. Has flooded over and over again, not to mention 18 wheeler's getting jambed as they pass under. It was so common for everyone to say "Hey there's another truck stuck under the overpass". Let's just cross our finger's they don't paint the columns bright pastels ie; Wayside intersection. As mentioned before this whole section needs to be rebuilt NEW.

The original circle had no stop signs, no traffic lights. THAT WAS DANGEROUS! I gre up out there, and where they are talking about behind ex-Dante's, etc., that is Park Place. My Mother lives on River Drive.

The original circle had no stop signs, no traffic lights. THAT WAS DANGEROUS!

Now thats a good Park Place trivia question: What year did they install lights there?

I never knew it didn't have lights, Good Lord! :o

They way people run the lights is what creates extra havoc. Maybe Suicide Circle isn't such a bad rename idea. I avoid it like the plague.

I live in Glenbrook and use what I think is Park Place for shortcuts to some of my haunts. If I am leaving Hobby and turn left onto Dixie from Broadway, is that neighborhood Park Place ? If so where does it stop being Park Place and become Santa Rosa ? Also, is there a neighborhood called Reveille/Park Place ?

I like that area on the other side of Broadway from Glenbrook and really wish it would pick up. There are some very cool 40's or 50's ranches back in there that haven't been violated on the exterior. Many have cool mod features. The retail on Park Place Blvd is all so trashy looking but some of the buildings are super cool. I hope the quickly coming back Glenbrook Valley will lead some towards Park Place and Santa Rosa so that the retail will pick up on Park Place BLvd as well as Broadway Blvd.

Toulouse, here is an interesting link from the City of Houston:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/suprnbhd...cognized_sn.htm

and a quote:

Golfcrest/Reveille is a section of southeast Houston located outside Loop 610 between Mykawa and the Gulf Freeway. Subdivisions within this community include Overbrook, Bayou Oaks, Santa Rosa, Greenway, Lum Terrace, Golfcrest, Kings Court, Tropicana Village and Oakland Plaza. Many small industrial facilities are located near Long Drive in the western part of the community. The original Golfcrest Country Club site was redeveloped with a stadium for Houston ISD, public housing and a City park. Most of the homes in the area date from the suburban development after World War II. Many of the more expensive homes were built on heavily wooded sites adjacent to Sims Bayou.

Don't know why they have lumped the two hoods together.

Be sure to look up Park Place too. I was surprised the borders are so small for PP.

The western boundary of Park Place is roughly De Leon from Sim Bayou to Joplin...and then it wraps around Greenway addition to the freeway and up to the northern boundary of Pine Gully (just north of Detroit).

The south and east boundary is pretty much Sims Bayou.

• 3 weeks later...

I was researching the Glenbrook block books & ran across this..."Glenbrook Ct". It's on the north side of Sims Bayou, listed as Glenbrook. Can't recall a culdesac, think it has mostly business development there now. Right by freeway. Has a penciled reference to Park Place 1929. Most interesting is the Galv. & Hou. Elec. Co. rt.-of-way. Date of survey - 1963. Streets are Newburn, Webster Ave., Dellwood - short st.(on key map).

Another interesting find is that Glenbrook Dr. is actually listed in the Park Place subdivision, on the east side of this block map as well. How confusing, all these Glenbrook names everywhere. In Meadowbrook, in Glenbrook subd., and in Park Place. :wacko:

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v063/AE1997_63_0048.jpg

On another blk book it listed "Katerwood Add." north of Glenbrook, other side of Sims Bayou, in between Reveille Park, and Park Place Add. ^_^

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow after all these years! They (DPS) finally moved. The old spot was so inadequate. The Fire Marshall must or should have issued that joint fines for crowding so many into that outdated shack.

We calleth out to the Isuredid! ^_^

anyone know what will happen to the old DPS site on Dover?

I've doing some research about Park Place subdivision, specifically the neighborhood bounded by 45, 610, and Broadway. Can anyone tell me where I can find recent information? (crime stats, demographics, traffic). Someone who lives in that area now would be very helpful. I appreciate the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived