Things that irritate me

Parrothead

I'm driving through the subdivision of Bear Creek (off Hwy 6 near Clay) dropping off some letters I painted for a client. I see nice houses, nice yards, and then a few really crappy yards and crappy houses. This is too bad, because it looks like it's a cute little neighborhood (perhaps their HOA sucks?). What I do see a lot of is American flags hanging off of the houses, crappy and nice. I have always liked that; I grew up in a home that had a flag flying 365 days of the year.

I turn onto my client's street and notice one of the crappy houses is particularly crappy. Right next door is a beautiful house with a well-manicured yard and a fresh paint job. The crappy house, however, has seen better days. The brick needed to be power washed, the driveway was full of old cars and someone's broken-down ATV. The yard was overgrown with clover and weeds, and the thing that bothered me most was a giant Mexican flag that was strung up on a makeshift PVC "flagpole" that was duct-taped (classic silver, no less) to their mailbox.

Why did this bother me so? I really thought a lot about it. Was it the fact that there was no American flag with it? Maybe. But then, why does an Australian or Dutch flag flying from someone's yard not bother me? Maybe because European and Australian ex-pats aren't screaming they are the "Master Race" and begging for all of the same social benefits Americans receive. Perhaps it was the way it was put up; it was as if this family was shooting the bird at all of their neighbors, kind of a giant "**** You" to everyone from the neighborhood cats to the HOA board to Americans in general, including little old me just driving down the street.

My client rolled her eyes when I made mention of it. They apparently moved in barely a year ago and had just put it up, in protest during the Fourth of July holiday. She said they had not yet contacted the association president.

Anyway, it bothered me. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious?

When you sip your margaritas, do you get angry because they too are Mexican? Do you hate seeing that Eagle and the red, white, and green when you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo with all your Anglo buddies? Does the Union Jack throw you off at Richmond Arms? I bet you hate seeing shamrocks and folks in green on St. Patties Day! God forbid you drive by the new Canadian bar in Midtown or else you might go postal.

The only thing I truly think is that you are a MORON.

I do not see an issue with that at all. The crappy yard part is every neigborhood. You ought to see my next door neighbors house and yard. The man is 87 years old and does not make much of an effort. Does it detract from our street, sure? Do I need to call the HOA, NO. I know you were mentioning the crappy yard as a build up to the Mexican flag part.

As for the Flag. I am suprised this bothers you. Try going to a USA - Mexico Soccer Match at Reliant Stadium. You will keel over and die. There is a 80%-20% Mexican fans to American. 100% of the Mexican fans dress up, wear flags, and paint their faces. I have zero issue with this. They are supporting their country.

I know many immigrants who have come to America from other countries. El Salvador, Mexico, Argentina, Pueto Rico and Cuba. In each instance these individuals love America and call it home. But also, each one of these people have a love for their homeland as well.

I think it is possible to be a good American, have a crappy yard, and still be proud of where you came from.

Parrothead, I did not understand the Master Race comment?

I can understand if people are patriotic but some people have just a little bit too much pride. Maybe it is just me but I still do not understand why people are so offended by anyone who still has pride for their homeland.

What is your opinion of this?

114406927_005ea151bc_o.jpg

Are you serious?

When you sip your margaritas, do you get angry because they too are Mexican? Do you hate seeing that Eagle and the red, white, and green when you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo with all your Anglo buddies? Does the Union Jack throw you off at Richmond Arms? I bet you hate seeing shamrocks and folks in green on St. Patties Day! God forbid you drive by the new Canadian bar in Midtown or else you might go postal.

While I do see his statement as kind of silly in that it's obviously a small matter driven by the ongoing immigration atmosphere. Afterall, I don't get all in a hizzy and complain out loud when i pass a house with a longhorn flag out front. Its just a flag flown outside a house. There is a house in River Oaks with a french flag flying. I have an itlalian flag hanging in my room. So i do disagree with him in that flying a flag to show that you're proud of whatever subgroup you might be part of.. thats a good thing. ITs a good thing to be proud to be american and also proud to be.. irish, aggie, astros fan, german.. etc.

This is not the same as all the mexican flags flying during the immigration rallies in my mind. That i think they missed an opportunity and i think they didn't help themselves as far as p.r. is concerned.

But then again, I also understand why people would be disgusted at this. Yes you make good points, but you're also missing the point in that it is hypocritical to say he can't be offended.

White people can't complain out loud and be offended.. but hispanics or every other ethnicity can be ???

We were forced to change the name of our soccer team from 1836 to dynamo. Hispanics got offended, voices heard, name changed... with little regard for all the angle texan supporters.

Maybe his rant was a little much, but given the current atmosphere, he has the right to be offended without you calling him a moron.

I am all for freedom of expression. But if the old country is THAT great why not move back?

I do not think it is that black and white. I know you do not mean it this way, but basically it comes down to people who are proud of their heritage have no reason to express it in a foreign country.

I do not mean to play the race card but I am sure the majority of people who complain about this are not minorities or foreign born citizens. Why is that? Of course I'm playing devil's advocate.

Parrothead has every right to post her drivel.

I have every right to call her a moron for being such an obvious racist and classist tool.

The family in Bear Creek has every right to fly a Mexican flag, even if it was to "protest the 4th of July," which is just about the stupidest thing I have read on this board. I would tend to think the flag may have been there since Mexico had a HUGE World Cup game vs. Argentina just two days ago!

God Bless America!

I am all for freedom of expression. But if the old country is THAT great why not move back?

I seriously doubt I'd ever fly Old Glory if I moved to another country.

Would y'all?

My brother did while he lived in England. I don't think I would, though. Perhaps it is because I don't fly one here, either.

Interesting that flags of predominantly Anglo countries do not offend parrot, but Mexico's does. I believe that is self-explanatory. Why she would waste so much time making it so obvious puzzles me though.

The family in Bear Creek has every right to fly a Mexican flag, even if it was to "protest the 4th of July," which is just about the stupidest thing I have read on this board. I would tend to think the flag may have been there since Mexico had a HUGE World Cup game vs. Argentina just two days ago!

KA, you can't expect parrot to have known that Mexico was playing soccer. After all, it is the sport of communists. Otherwise, we'd be good at it.

Parrot just needs to try harder to understand the Mexican's plight.

After all, it's our duty to as American's to undertand them on their terms. We should even learn their language.

Becuse to expect them to be proud Americans is racist.

i am a Naturalized American...i was born in Mexico and became a US Citizen about 2 years ago....i do not like it when people hang the Mexican Flag, we are in the United States of America, not Mexico...hanging up a flag of another country gives the impression that you have allegiance to that country and not the US.

i am a Naturalized American...i was born in Mexico and became a US Citizen about 2 years ago....i do not like it when people hang the Mexican Flag, we are in the United States of America, not Mexico...hanging up a flag of another country gives the impression that you have allegiance to that country and not the US.

completely agree.

I have every right to call her a moron for being such an obvious racist and classist tool.

actually you don't have the right to resort to name calling. not on this board.

Are you serious?

C'mon my friend, your getting way to pissed over Parrothead's post. On top of that your making radical assumptions on her part.

Nobody knows why this guy hung a Mexican flag up. If he did indeed do it to say F-you, then he deserves ridicule, especially seeing that this country is feeding him and his family. On the other hand I have little problem with it if he's flying the flag for Mexico in the World Cup. They are two completely different scenerios.

We were forced to change the name of our soccer team from 1836 to dynamo. Hispanics got offended, voices heard, name changed... with little regard for all the angle texan supporters.

I think that decision was based on economics, not politics.

As another person mentioned, go to a US-Mexico Soccer match and you have an 8 Mexican: 2 American ratio.

Secondly, America has always been a country of racism. From the native Americans, to the Africans, to the Japanese, to whomever and whoever is next. Its part of American Culture and Society to understand/experience Racism because quite honestly we are a multiethnic nation.

Thirdly, many Mexican Immigrants dont believe that Texas, California, New Mexico (American SouthWest) isnt part of Mexico. They act like Neo-Mexican Nationalists. They choose to only speak Spanish, support Mexican businesses and sometimes express their contempt for America outwardly. There, you have a problem.

God Bless America!

.........or it could have just been left over from the Cinco de Mayo holiday, and they haven't gotten around to taking it down yet.

especially seeing that this country is feeding him and his family.

wow. you are just your very own fact checker aren't you?

There are some hard truths on both sides of the immigration coin I think. This weekend, as I was melting and warping in the heat while trying to do my very own landscaping, I had to stop (to rest) and think (to figure out a way out of this) about just how much work immigrants really do for us. Several neighbors were dumbfounded that I didn't just go "down to the tracks" and hire some men to do it for me.

There would have been many men willing to do the back breaking hot work for 20 bucks, just so they could feed their families, then again, for some, their families are home in Mexico, but then again, they EARNED their money to spend how they see fit, then again, are there legal Americans that would be willing to do it for $30, then again, many would rather collect government checks then work, then again, they might not be getting the chance because they are being pushed out of the market, then again...

I agree, we have some things to figure out, but we are what we have made ourselves, and we can't just wipe the slate and start with a certain set of people and tell everyone else they can't play.

Guest danax

There are many Americans of Mexican heritage who complain more loudly than Parrothead. I had a talk on the park bench with one Saturday. He came back from L.A. where he used to live back in the 60s and 70s and hadn't been back since '75. He complained about how trashy his old neighborhood looked and how the "wetbacks" have taken over. He didn't mean Mexicans, he meant illegals. I'm on the board of the civic club where I live on the East End and get to hear other similar complaints, some much stronger, from Mexican-Americans. You all that live elsewhere don't deal with this all of the time, so your opinions are likely to less tainted by reality.

If the immigrant neighborhoods looked better and if America wasn't being bent over so badly by the illegal stampede then maybe there would be less resentment about Mexican flag-flying and it wouldn't appear to be a sign of defiance.

Thirdly, many Mexican Immigrants dont believe that Texas, California, New Mexico (American SouthWest) isnt part of Mexico. They act like Neo-Mexican Nationalists. They choose to only speak Spanish, support Mexican businesses and sometimes express their contempt for America outwardly. There, you have a problem.

This is part of the reason people are upset and anti-immigration.

Labeling people who are anti-immigration as racists or posting the definition of xenophobes... this is all a cop-out.

"Just becasue you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Why can't some people get into these type of discussions without being so mean spirited.

I'll wait on a PM from Wendy now.

it goes both ways, sir. the only reason I PM'd you before was that the thread was closed before I could reply to your comments.

Funny, I haven't seen parrot respond since. Nothing in this thread is anything that hasn't been asked or debated before, and there was nothing that parrot posted that she herself hasn't posted strong opinions about before. I think she was just trolling, knowing it would stir up trouble. Unfortunately, many of us fell for it.

I resolve not to fall for obvious trolling threads. I ask everyone else to do likewise.

I'm driving through the subdivision of Bear Creek (off Hwy 6 near Clay) dropping off some letters I painted for a client. I see nice houses, nice yards, and then a few really crappy yards and crappy houses. This is too bad, because it looks like it's a cute little neighborhood (perhaps their HOA sucks?). What I do see a lot of is American flags hanging off of the houses, crappy and nice. I have always liked that; I grew up in a home that had a flag flying 365 days of the year.

I turn onto my client's street and notice one of the crappy houses is particularly crappy. Right next door is a beautiful house with a well-manicured yard and a fresh paint job. The crappy house, however, has seen better days. The brick needed to be power washed, the driveway was full of old cars and someone's broken-down ATV. The yard was overgrown with clover and weeds, and the thing that bothered me most was a giant Mexican flag that was strung up on a makeshift PVC "flagpole" that was duct-taped (classic silver, no less) to their mailbox.

Why did this bother me so? I really thought a lot about it. Was it the fact that there was no American flag with it? Maybe. But then, why does an Australian or Dutch flag flying from someone's yard not bother me? Maybe because European and Australian ex-pats aren't screaming they are the "Master Race" and begging for all of the same social benefits Americans receive. Perhaps it was the way it was put up; it was as if this family was shooting the bird at all of their neighbors, kind of a giant "Fu*k You" to everyone from the neighborhood cats to the HOA board to Americans in general, including little old me just driving down the street.

My client rolled her eyes when I made mention of it. They apparently moved in barely a year ago and had just put it up, in protest during the Fourth of July holiday. She said they had not yet contacted the association president.

Anyway, it bothered me. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

Don't you have anything better to do? So the *&^% what?

Archived