From Ms Sarnoff's column:

eb. 4, 2006, 10:28PM

From big-box to mixed-use

Apartments, retail will be built in changing area near stadium

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A property near Reliant Center that for years housed big-box retailers like Target and Garden Ridge has changed hands and will be redeveloped into an urban apartment project.

Fidelis Realty Partners bought the land on Old Spanish Trail just east of Kirby at the end of last year and has since demolished a building there.

The Houston real estate firm and developer Simmons Vedder & Co. are planning a five-story structure with four levels of apartments above shops.

The project is similar to the much-admired Post Midtown Square, one of the few projects in Houston that truly mixes uses with hundreds of loft-style apartments over retail space.

Chronicle article

Does anyone have any more info on this

From big-box to mixed-use

Apartments, retail will be built in changing area near stadium

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A property near Reliant Center that for years housed big-box retailers like Target and Garden Ridge has changed hands and will be redeveloped into an urban apartment project.

Fidelis Realty Partners bought the land on Old Spanish Trail just east of Kirby at the end of last year and has since demolished a building there.

The Houston real estate firm and developer Simmons Vedder & Co. are planning a five-story structure with four levels of apartments above shops.

The project is similar to the much-admired Post Midtown Square, one of the few projects in Houston that truly mixes uses with hundreds of loft-style apartments over retail space.

Designed by the Steinberg Design Collaborative architecture firm, the new project will face Old Spanish Trail and have an East Coast brownstone look.

It will have about 300 apartments and 40,000 square feet of shopping space.

The project will include one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, but rents have not been determined.

Construction is expected to begin by the middle of this year and should be completed by the end of 2007.

Alan Hassenflu, a Fidelis principal, said this area near the Houston Texans' stadium has "transitioned up."

Indeed, the football stadium, Metro's light rail line, and growth in the Texas Medical Center have helped change this area, with some landowners improving their properties and developers building new apartments and condos.

"There's very little land left," said Hassenflu, noting a strong demand for housing by medical workers.

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

They're headquarted on Washington I think... Right close to my house. I believe they're the ones behind those town homes with retail at the bottom close to Downtown, along Washington as well. Their a new player in the neighborhood, building up the "Castillas" (I think thats what there called), which, 2 years ago, HHN controlled the West End in Town Home Developement. But new projects like the 5 story Jackon Hill project, and those weird little town home villiages were the steel factories were...

Good to see them develope down there! :)

They're headquartered on Washington I think... Right close to my house. I believe they're the ones behind those town homes with retail at the bottom close to Downtown, along Washington as well. Their a new player in the neighborhood, building up the "Castillas" (I think that's what there called), which, 2 years ago, HHN controlled the West End in Town Home Development. But new projects like the 5 story Jackson Hill project, and those weird little town home villages were the steel factories were...

Good to see them developed down there! :)

I think their building was in a rap video for a local artist

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This property, just north of Reliant Center and at the southwest corner of the Texas Medical Center, that for years housed big-box retailers like Target and Garden Ridge is being redeveloped into an urban apartment project. Three stories of apartments will sit above retail space fronting Old Spanish Trail. The property will have spectacular views due to its proximity to the Texas Medical Center and Reliant Park and will enjoy quick access to the 445-acre Hermann Park.

Domain

domain.jpg

site plan

Edited by musicman

This property, just north of Reliant Center and at the southwest corner of the Texas Medical Center, that for years housed big-box retailers like Target and Garden Ridge is being redeveloped into an urban apartment project. Three stories of apartments will sit above retail space fronting Old Spanish Trail. The property will have spectacular views due to its proximity to the Texas Medical Center and Reliant Park and will enjoy quick access to the 445-acre Hermann Park.

Domain

domain.jpg

site plan

I own a condo across the street from this proposed development... I hope they build it.

• The title was changed to Domain At Kirby: Multifamily At 1333 Old Spanish Trl.