Tlaquepaque Market

I'm not certain of the address for Tlaquepaque Market / Tlaquepaque Market at Eastwood. There are several listed in various Google search results.  The Google Maps listing has 700-746 Telephone Rd. 

According the Harris County parcel map, the addresses below are owned by Tlaquepaque Market at Eastwood, Ltd. The property boundaries are highlighted on the map in purple:

• 716 Telephone Rd
  • 720 Telephone Rd
  • 724 Telephone Rd
  • 726 Telephone Rd
  • 728 Telephone Rd
  • 730 Telephone Rd
  • 732 Telephone Rd
  • 736 1/2 Telephone Rd
  • 738 Telephone Rd
  • 740 Telephone Rd
  • 742 Telephone Rd
  • 746 Telephone Rd
  • 1610 Dumble St

Skiladda Inc owns the parcel at 700 Telephone Rd highlighted in blue. It doesn't appear to be tied to Tlaquepaque Market at Eastwood, Ltd. However, the businesses located there are part of Tlaquepaque Market:

• 700 Telephone Rd
  • 702 Telephone Rd
  • 704 Telephone Rd
  • 706 Telephone Rd
  • 708 Telephone Rd
  • 710 Telephone Rd

Kaloma Llc owns the parcel consisting of 736 Telephone Rd. It's highlighted in yellow.

754 Telephone Rd, which is on the corner of Dumble St, is owned by someone else. That property is highlighted in green.

KCGE7wN.jpg

Kanomwan, a Thai restaurant at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd, closed its doors September 2021. Open since the mid-1980's, the eatery relocated to Tlaquepaque Market in 2007.

Houston Food Finder has more on the closing:

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/news/well-regarded-houston-thai-restaurant-closes-after-a-series-of-setbacks/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

The restaurant space at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd  was available for lease last year. It was the former location of Thai eatery Kanomwan. 

The space was unlisted around May. 

Details about the building from the Loopnet listing:

• Total square footage including patio: 4,428 sf

• Restaurant: 3,000 sf
    • Patio: 1,428 sf

• Year built: 1975

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/736-1-2-Telephone-Rd-Houston-TX/24960132/

SCgv9hO.jpg

W4eYVKJ.jpg

The castle-like venue at 1610 Dumble St is available for lease. According to Loopnet, the venue was listed for lease earlier this week.

Details from Loopnet:

• Building Size: 9,000 sf
  • Year Built: 1950

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1610-Dumble-St-Houston-TX/22660796/

Dnw13XL.jpg         

4kJzKN9.jpg

GneqWrJ.jpg

aMqYhhW.jpg

HDT0NLQ.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Kanomwan, a Thai restaurant at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd, closed its doors September 2021. Open since the mid-1980's, the eatery relocated to Tlaquepaque Market in 2007.

Houston Food Finder has more on the closing:

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/news/well-regarded-houston-thai-restaurant-closes-after-a-series-of-setbacks/

21 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The restaurant space at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd  was available for lease last year. It was the former location of Thai eatery Kanomwan. 

I think the owner of several Houston food & beverage concepts is leasing Kanomwan's former space.

Towards the end of last year, I noticed an alcohol permit registered to a business at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd. The business name on the permit lists Mimo. It appears to be a new concept from Mike Sammons.

Sammons is the mind behind Weights + Measures and wine bar 13 Celsius in Midtown. He's also involved with How to Survive on Land & Sea. How to Survive on Land & Sea is a wine bar in the Second Ward.

Although there hasn't been anything reported, it's likely Mimo is opening at Tlaquepaque Market / Tlaquepaque Market at Eastwood. 

A few months following the unlisting for 736 1/2 Telephone Rd, several teaser photos were posted to an Instagram account for Mimo. Captions were not included with the posts, but all are geotagged Greater Eastwood. 

https://www.instagram.com/mimo_houtx

• Like 2

I think I just felt my first nervous NIMBY impulse...

I know change is inevitable, but I can't help but worry about what it means for a place like Monchys that a Weights & Measures-type of place is moving in across the street. Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

This shopping center used to have a piggly wiggly in it according to my grandmother- she shopped there in the 50s

I don't think there was a Piggly Wiggly there in the 50's. It doesn't show up in the directories I have access to, and there was a Weingartens 3 blocks away, at Telephone and Monroe, which is now an HISD building. Lockwood wasn't put through that area until about 1960

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I think I just felt my first nervous NIMBY impulse...

I know change is inevitable, but I can't help but worry about what it means for a place like Monchys that a Weights & Measures-type of place is moving in across the street. Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing.

I understand your concern. However, Mimo may not be similar to Weights + Measures. We don't know. The general public won't know for certain until the owners decide to announce the new dining concept. Still, it's possible the addition of Mimo could lead to rent increases down the line for surrounding businesses. 

My one concern is the building is hidden. It's not visible from Telephone Road. But it is slightly visible from Leeland. I hope the lack of visibility will not negatively impact the business in the long run.

On the up side, the renovated space will probably be lovely. Look no further than the transformation of Weights + Measures, 13 Celsius, and How to Survive on Land & Sea. 

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

On the up side, the renovated space will probably be lovely. Look no further than the transformation of Weights + Measures, 13 Celsius, and How to Survive on Land & Sea. 

True, and the rest of Tlaquepaque is already charming, in my opinion. The big question is whether the Harrisburg TIRZ extends the Telephone upgrades this far north/west (there's a federally funded project to upgrade the street from 610 to Lawndale), and whether the Lockwood improvements will extend this far south (presumably they will because of the University Line BRT alignment).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

My one concern is the building is hidden. It's not visible from Telephone Road. But it is slightly visible from Leeland. I hope the lack of visibility will not negatively impact the business in the long run.

That was never an issue with Kanomwan, which, admittedly, was already well-established by the time they relocated to Tlaquepaque. But I'm still not sure how big of an issue visibility from Telephone is, especially for a restaurant/bar. I'd bet positive word of mouth (via social media, reviews, etc.) is far more of a significant factor.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:54 AM, 004n063 said:

True, and the rest of Tlaquepaque is already charming, in my opinion. The big question is whether the Harrisburg TIRZ extends the Telephone upgrades this far north/west (there's a federally funded project to upgrade the street from 610 to Lawndale), and whether the Lockwood improvements will extend this far south (presumably they will because of the University Line BRT alignment).

The Harrisburg TIRZ presented at the last Eastwood Civic Association meeting. They are going to completely redo Telephone from Lockwood to Lawndale.

Was really surprised to hear there is enough ROW to fix & straighten the Dumble intersection so it doesn't require separate traffic light cycles.

And FYI Bohemeo's was originally the Post Office, the gym behind it was the garage for the mail Jeeps.

TIRZ1.png

Edited by dart330
Uploaded higher quality attachment.
  • Like 5

On 1/7/2023 at 5:18 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Details about the building from the Loopnet listing:

• Total square footage including patio: 4,428 sf

• Restaurant: 3,000 sf
    • Patio: 1,428 sf

• Year built: 1975

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/736-1-2-Telephone-Rd-Houston-TX/24960132/

SCgv9hO.jpg

I can say without hesitation (IMO) that this was the greatest loss our city suffered from Covid.

I'm still searching for a Thai restaurant that compares. 

so far this one is the closest: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Street+Food+Thai+Market/@29.8095858,-95.4029166,14.58z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc0c06c0a6ed1e5b2!8m2!3d29.8041619!4d-95.3851422

Edited by samagon

4 hours ago, dart330 said:

The Harrisburg TIRZ presented at the last Eastwood Civic Association meeting. They are going to completely redo Telephone from Lockwood to Lawndale.

Was really surprised to hear there is enough ROW to fix & straighten the Dumble intersection so it doesn't require separate traffic light cycles.

And FYI Bohemeo's was originally the Post Office, the gym behind it was the garage for the mail Jeeps.

TIRZ.png

this is awesome news, did they provide any timelines? are there any more specifics regarding design?

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I can say without hesitation (IMO) that this was the greatest loss our city suffered from Covid.

I'm still searching for a Thai restaurant that compares. 

so far this one is the closest: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Street+Food+Thai+Market/@29.8095858,-95.4029166,14.58z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc0c06c0a6ed1e5b2!8m2!3d29.8041619!4d-95.3851422

I'd put the Gingerman up there with Kanomwan when it comes to the worst Covid-related business closures.

Street Food Thai Market is very good. Asia Market Thai Lao Food, not very far away on North Main, is also worth visiting.  And I've heard good things about Sao Lao Thai Cafe, which is off the beaten path on North Shepherd, but haven't been there yet.  Kanomwan definitely left some very big shoes to fill. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 3:09 PM, mkultra25 said:

That was never an issue with Kanomwan, which, admittedly, was already well-established by the time they relocated to Tlaquepaque. But I'm still not sure how big of an issue visibility from Telephone is, especially for a restaurant/bar. I'd bet positive word of mouth (via social media, reviews, etc.) is far more of a significant factor.

Fair point.

19 hours ago, samagon said:

this is awesome news, did they provide any timelines? are there any more specifics regarding design?

It is a very complicated area to redesign, so they can't share specifics regarding all the curb cuts, stop signs, and ROW changes until everything is approved to begin public omment. But here are some highlights of the project scope and timeline.

TIRZ2.png

TIRZ3.png

TIRZ4.png

Edited by dart330
  • Like 1

Either the city or county got a big federal grant to work on Telephone heading south, so I guess this will be an extension of this. 

That proposed cross-section looks amazing. I've been skipping Telephone unless traffic is completely dead when I'm on my bike and coming from the protected lane on Lawndale.

Very exciting about the restaurant project!

Street to Kitchen Thai has the best thai food I've ever had in Houston, but not set up as a "casual" restaurant like many others. I was actually thinking that it would have been nice for them to move to a bigger space like this.

23 hours ago, dart330 said:

Looks like a big chunk of the pawn shop's parking lot is actually ROW:

8hwrbbl.png

Using the painted line for westbound Telephone traffic at the light, it is about this much: 

3U9ETHR.png

Definitely looks like enough for a realignment!

23 hours ago, dart330 said:

It is a very complicated area to redesign, so they can't share specifics regarding all the curb cuts, stop signs, and ROW changes until everything is approved to begin public omment. But here are some highlights of the project scope and timeline.

thanks for sharing, I lived in Broadmoor for 14 years, so I'm familiar with how weird Telephone is in that area, and I'm sure it will be a challenge.

and yeah, there's actually 2 other projects for Telephone road, one is the Federal grant project which goes from Lawndale to 610, but there's another that the TIRZ 8 (gulfgate) is going to push, which will go from 610 out to Reveille street.

https://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/2022/telephone-road-project-grant.html#:~:text=The Telephone Road project is,2.8 miles to Interstate 610.

https://www.tirz8telephoneroad.com/

I can't find the particulars I had once found for the federal project, but hopefully the Lawndale intersection gets redone, since it is the edge of both the EETIRZ and Federal projects, it scares me that this intersection will stay in its current configuration even after this is all done with both parties pointing at the other saying that it wasn't their responsibility.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, samagon said:

I can't find the particulars I had once found for the federal project, but hopefully the Lawndale intersection gets redone, since it is the edge of both the EETIRZ and Federal projects, it scares me that this intersection will stay in its current configuration even after this is all done with both parties pointing at the other saying that it wasn't their responsibility.

The Baird - Lawndale - Broadmoor intersection will be addressed by the TIRZ project. Definitely a hot mess, so lots of changes.

They are also going to incorporate several pedestrian crossings, specifically mentioned  Fourcade - Claremont, but I would expect that at every block.

No mention of the traffic signal at Jefferson - Wesley, not sure what will happen there.

The new designs will be much safer so I am sure it will anger drivers who also hate the Lawndale changes.

Edited by dart330
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.engagehouston.org/telephoneroad_revitalization

59 minutes ago, samagon said:

and yeah, there's actually 2 other projects for Telephone road, one is the Federal grant project which goes from Lawndale to 610, but there's another that the TIRZ 8 (gulfgate) is going to push, which will go from 610 out to Reveille street.

Z28eQLW.png

d54wJRZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

If it's at all possible, can we please not derail this topic further? Let's try to keep posts about Tlaquepaque Market only.

Further discussions about the Telephone Road Revitalization Project should be directed to the Traffic and Transportation forum. There is an ongoing topic about the Telephone Rd project there:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47606-inside-houston%E2%80%99s-25-million-plan-to-transform-telephone-rd

On 1/7/2023 at 5:55 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I think the owner of several Houston food & beverage concepts is leasing Kanomwan's former space.

Towards the end of last year, I noticed an alcohol permit registered to a business at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd. The business name on the permit lists Mimo. It appears to be a new concept from Mike Sammons.

Sammons is the mind behind Weights + Measures and wine bar 13 Celsius in Midtown. He's also involved with How to Survive on Land & Sea. How to Survive on Land & Sea is a wine bar in the Second Ward.

Although there hasn't been anything reported, it's likely Mimo is opening at Tlaquepaque Market / Tlaquepaque Market at Eastwood. 

A few months following the unlisting for 736 1/2 Telephone Rd, several teaser photos were posted to an Instagram account for Mimo. Captions were not included with the posts, but all are geotagged Greater Eastwood. 

About a week and a half ago, Mimo confirmed its takeover of the former Kanomwan restaurant space on Instagram.

Mimo is the latest food and beverage concept from Mike Sammons (13 Celsius, Weights + Measures, and How to Survive on Land & Sea). I think this may be a restaurant, but I'm not completely sure.

Sammons' new venture will be located in Tlaquepaque Market. The address for Mimo is  736 1/2 Telephone Rd.

From the Instagram post:

Coming very soon.
736 1/2 Telephone Road
Houston, Texas 77023

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnaV90Up3HU

XUdrhuc.jpg

• Like 1

A slight correction and update in regards to Mimo:

Mimo is a joint venture from Mike Sammons (13 Celsius, Weights + Measures, and How to Survive on Land & Sea) and former Weights + Measures chef Fernando Rios.

A few week ago, Rios announced the restaurant on his social media platforms. "Mimo will pay respect to Italian culinary tradition," says Rios. He also noted the eatery is opening soon.

Mimo is located in former Kanomwan restaurant space at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd.

Houston Chronicle's paywall-free site Chron recently featured Tlaquepaque Market / Tlaquepaque Market at Eastwood. The feature showcases places with food and beverages like La Imperial, Treats of Mexico, and Bohemeo's.

Tlaquepaque Market is located on Telephone Rd at the intersection of Leeland and Lockwood.

A few details from the article:

• "It's named after the village of Tlaquepaque (tuh-laa-kay-paa-kee), an equally colorful destination in Jalisco, Mexico. In Houston, the shopping center's buildings are painted in vibrant blues, yellows, oranges, pinks and greens."

• "Located in the Eastwood subsection of the larger East End, Tlaquepaque Market was built in the 1950s, making it also one of the oldest strip malls in Houston. It was redeveloped about 20 years ago via a revitalization project led by architect Julio del Carpio."

https://www.chron.com/food/article/tlaquepaque-market-houston-17746494.php

On 1/7/2023 at 5:55 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 1/23/2023 at 12:24 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

About a week and a half ago, Mimo confirmed its takeover of the former Kanomwan restaurant space on Instagram.

Mimo is the latest food and beverage concept from Mike Sammons (13 Celsius, Weights + Measures, and How to Survive on Land & Sea). I think this may be a restaurant, but I'm not completely sure.

Sammons' new venture will be located in Tlaquepaque Market. The address for Mimo is  736 1/2 Telephone Rd.

From the Instagram post:

Coming very soon.
736 1/2 Telephone Road
Houston, Texas 77023

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnaV90Up3HU

XUdrhuc.jpg

On 1/29/2023 at 2:47 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A slight correction and update in regards to Mimo:

Mimo is a joint venture from Mike Sammons (13 Celsius, Weights + Measures, and How to Survive on Land & Sea) and former Weights + Measures chef Fernando Rios.

A few week ago, Rios announced the restaurant on his social media platforms. "Mimo will pay respect to Italian culinary tradition," says Rios. He also noted the eatery is opening soon.

Mimo is located in former Kanomwan restaurant space at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd.

In yesterday's feature of Tlaquepaque Market, Chron included this blurb about forthcoming restaurant Mimo:

"Longtime neighborhood locals were sad to lose Kanomwan, a Thai restaurant that closed in the fall of 2021. But it appears that the space has been scooped up by operators behind the popular Houston spots How to Survive on Land and Sea, Weights & Measures and 13 Celsius. An upcoming concept called Mimo was announced on Instagram, but there are very few details at this time."

https://www.chron.com/food/article/tlaquepaque-market-houston-17746494.php

Mimo is opening soon at 736 1/2 Telephone Rd.