Houston Cotton Exchange And Board Of Trade At 1310 Prairie St.

IronTiger

On 2/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, thedistrict84 said:

•The Harris County Court annex at 1310 Prairie (which were apparently high-end apartments back then?)

I doubt they were high-end apartments, especially in late 1980s-era downtown (probably only used for exterior shots, while the interior set was somewhere else). The high-end apartment towers (not built downtown) kept their value, but the hotels that permanently closed in this era weren't able to be converted to high-end housing and either became retirement homes or were torn down entirely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

The Harris County Court annex at 1310 Prairie (which were apparently high-end apartments back then?)

2 hours ago, IronTiger said:

I doubt they were high-end apartments, especially in late 1980s-era downtown (probably only used for exterior shots, while the interior set was somewhere else).

Pretty sure the remark was made tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Houston Cotton Exchange And Board Of Trade At 1310 Prairie St.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered the story on why there are two separate facades on this building. Was there a renovation on just half of the building at one point?

Apparently the top floor was at one point the largest cotton trading floor in the world

I used to work in this building on a high floor. The building has been chopped up and renovated so many times the only charming area is the lobby. Everything else is covered in indoor outdoor carpet and latex paint. It’s a really depressing building. My window faces the courthouse complex and on sunny days the HVAC couldn’t cool it and I just worked from home after 1 so I wouldn’t sweat through my shirt. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...