South Lockwood Paving And Drainage

there need to be more roundabouts.

Sampson/York/Navigation.

I don't know if there's room for a roundabout at Telephone/Broadmoor/Lawndale, but having lived right around the block from that intersection for more than 10 years, there were way too many accidents on that corner, and something needs to be done to make it safer, a roundabout would help.

it's too bad there's a railroad on the Lawndale/Griggs/Evergreen intersection, but that's another crazy one that needs some help.

I avoid these intersections as much as possible.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, samagon said:

there need to be more roundabouts.

Sampson/York/Navigation.

I don't know if there's room for a roundabout at Telephone/Broadmoor/Lawndale, but having lived right around the block from that intersection for more than 10 years, there were way too many accidents on that corner, and something needs to be done to make it safer, a roundabout would help.

it's too bad there's a railroad on the Lawndale/Griggs/Evergreen intersection, but that's another crazy one that needs some help.

I avoid these intersections as much as possible.

I've always wondered why Houston hasn't utilized roundabouts more. Not only are they proven to reduce traffic casualties, but its also safer for pedestrians. A couple of other intersections I think could benefit off of a round-about

• W Cavalcade/ N Main/ Studewood/ E 20th st
  • Bissonnet/ Bellaire
  • Cullen/ Elgin (Main UH entrance) 
  • Main/ OST
  • Hillcroft/ Richmond 
  • Like 2

That's true as drawn, but it would be possible to reconfigure it to allow space for transit lanes.

It is weird that Public Works released these drawings *now* while Metro is actively finalizing the design of the University corridor though. Feels a lot like the bad old days when different city/local agencies never talked to each other.

22 hours ago, Texasota said:

That's true as drawn, but it would be possible to reconfigure it to allow space for transit lanes.

It is weird that Public Works released these drawings *now* while Metro is actively finalizing the design of the University corridor though. Feels a lot like the bad old days when different city/local agencies never talked to each other.

the silos that have existed in the past are still in place, no doubt about it. such a waste of time/money.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:05 AM, dart330 said:

The roundabout at Canal probably won't happen as it is not compatible with the METRORapid University Corridor planned for Lockwood.

I'm still worried about what they are going to have to do at the railroad track just south of Harrisburg. Pretty sure they are going to want to do an underpass 😶

On 6/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, wilcal said:

They realllllly need to figure out an underpass here. I'm surprised it is even possible for them to do an overpass as there  is only a few hundred feet between the tracks and Harrisburg.

on Wayside they have an underpass, according to Google, it's 200ft from the underpass to the closest edge of the Capitol street intersection.

from the tracks to Harrisburg it would be far greater distance of about 550ft. 

• The title was changed to South Lockwood Paving And Drainage
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where else to post this, so I can repost in the correct spot if needed. Went to one of the Metro planning meetings regarding the new propose MetroRapid expansion, specifically their University Line. Segment 4 covers the Lockwood segment. Photos of a few of the posters I found interesting attached. 

Some other points:

- All segments will be built concurrently

- The next planning meeting probably won't be until early nexy year, as right now they plan to complete the engineering aspects of the plan. Comments are open and welcome though on their website: https://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/METRORapid-University-Corridor-Project.aspx

- The proposed stop at Harrisburg and Lockwood will be elevated to go above the train tracks. Lanes will only be open to dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lanes 

- They plan to have two dedicated BRT lanes (cutting in/ carving up the median 😭) and leaving two lanes each way for car traffic. Going to have paths on either side of around 10 ft (less depending on private property lines). I asked about bike lines and they said it wasn't a priority at the moment since they had some on Sampson/ York but to leave comments since everything is still in planning

PXL_20220713_231535265.jpg

PXL_20220713_231202186.MP.jpg

PXL_20220713_230525257.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

- They plan to have two dedicated BRT lanes (cutting in/ carving up the median 😭) and leaving two lanes each way for car traffic. Going to have paths on either side of around 10 ft (less depending on private property lines). I asked about bike lines and they said it wasn't a priority at the moment since they had some on Sampson/ York but to leave comments since everything is still in planning

I submitted feedback that they should include bike lanes along Lockwood at least from the stations to existing bike lanes on cross streets.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

The proposed stop at Harrisburg and Lockwood will be elevated to go above the train tracks. Lanes will only be open to dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lanes

Somehow I don’t think the residents of Eastwood are going to be too crazy about this plan. 

ECA Lockwood BRT StreetMix Proposal

The Eastwood Civic Association has proposed an alternative design that does not destroy the neighborhood. None of the elected officials in the area were spoken to or shown the preliminary designs that were released at the meeting this week. It is disgusting that Metro is following TxDot's playbook with this BRT line.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, dart330 said:

The Eastwood Civic Association has proposed an alternative design that does not destroy the neighborhood. 

I'm curious (in all honesty) how this destroys the neighborhood. It looks like the Overpass is built over the existing roadway. Based on the video rendering, I don't even see any buildings/homes in the area missing.

1 hour ago, JBTX said:

I'm curious (in all honesty) how this destroys the neighborhood. It looks like the Overpass is built over the existing roadway. Based on the video rendering, I don't even see any buildings/homes in the area missing.

Drive through the area, it's a nice boulevard with old trees in the middle.

If you owned a historic house on said boulevard would you want a bus highway elevated in front of your house? 

Not to mention it will probably become a giant homeless camp with the current state of the city. 

• Like 2

I drive there often. I do agree about the trees. A lot. Love me some nice trees.

I don't know if I agree so much re: bus highway. Busses (and plenty of cars) already roar up and down that street, so I don't see much of a difference.

1 hour ago, JBTX said:

I drive there often. I do agree about the trees. A lot. Love me some nice trees.

I don't know if I agree so much re: bus highway. Busses (and plenty of cars) already roar up and down that street, so I don't see much of a difference.

I like the idea of a the BRT, I just think it really should be an underpass here to avoid a large dark area that probably won't be maintained and won't be so ugly on the eye. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iah77 said:

I like the idea of a the BRT, I just think it really should be an underpass here to avoid a large dark area that probably won't be maintained and won't be so ugly on the eye. 

I completely agree. Their proposal is a completely eyesore. I didn’t even consider the area underneath and what would become of it. 

• Like 1

While the reception of the BRT is mixed in Eastwood, they are not opposing the line, just the horrible design. The ECA had a two hour gathering with their proposed design displayed to get feedback from the 150 neighbors in attendance. Not a single person was in favor of removing the median and trees.

Negatives just off the top of my head:

• Very walkable / bike able area, 2 streets will be closed dividing the neighborhood and making pedestrians detour a quarter mile
  • There is not enough traffic to justify 4 lanes let alone 6 lanes
  • Lots of old trees will be destroyed
  • Connectivity of the city park across Park Drive is removed while the East End District has a beautiful plan to revamp it (including daylighting the buried bayou)
  • Overpasses = homeless camps
  • Car traffic is not getting grade separation from the UP tracks
  • This is the second oldest suburb in Houston after Woodland Heights and should get more historic preservation not less
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MexAmerican_Moose said:

if they are going to include a bridge for the BRT at least add a couple of lanes for car traffic, that train track always has stalled/waiting trains that disrupt traffic in the East End

Adding lanes for car traffic is why the green line bridge is such a monstrosity. If they do an elevated crossing and station, they need to keep it as narrow and minimal as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...