Cenikor Building At 1423 Texas Ave.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Hakeem still the slumlord on some of the other fugly buildings near by?

Does he own that disaster near the steak house?

They were not working on it this morning at of 8:30.

Looks like they may have started yesterday. I think it'll take a little while.

It took them a couple of weeks to rip out the back.

Then again, those cranes are not cheap to rent.

Yep, they are performing permanent graffitti abatement. The northwest corner of the building has 10-15 feet of brick and concrete knocked out of it.

While looking at it though, I saw workers at the Ben Milam (actually, in the parking garage next to Ben Milam). It looked like they were removing things from it, though I could not tell what they were removing. Could Ben Milam be going to meet it's maker, as well?

i saw the ben milam workers as well....looked like railing from the garage balconies...hmmm

As in...recycling the steel before the walls come down?

That's why the workers were in Cenikor. They took the windows and fixtures, etc. All that's left will go to a recycling plant, too.

If no one was going to rehab them, I'm fine with demo'ing them. It just irritates me that nothing will go up in it's place, except $30 parking for Astros games. :angry2:

as soon as the building is down (a week to two weeks, according to the foreman) i will post pictures...i have about 200 so far :wacko: (but of course i'll snip it down :D )

the really great part is that the owner of the building (wiese i believe) is keeping the frontispiece (that reads "wm penn hotel") for himself. maybe he likes to collect mementos of destroyed buildings... -_-

anyhow, i will be there every night until it is gone -_-

On the backside of the hotel, there used to be an old sign painted on the side of the building, probably from the 50's, that showed bus destinations to certain cities and the cost and mileage.

Did anyone ever get a picture of that?

i always wanted to but i forgot everytime i went to an astros game.

yes, it was on the back of ben milam...i have a picture somewhere...i'll see of i can find it :)

On the backside of the hotel, there used to be an old sign painted on the side of the building, probably from the 50's, that showed bus destinations to certain cities and the cost and mileage.

Did anyone ever get a picture of that?

i always wanted to but i forgot everytime i went to an astros game.

Those pics are mesmerizing. Wow, after how many years? Another historic building taken out of the skyline. What is taking its spot again eventhough the structure is surrounded by surface lots? Please don't say nothing. Just when I thought Houston put the brakes on these type of habits in downtown.

Edited by WesternGulf

the demolition is almost painful to watch...each night, that (relatively) small wrecking ball just dinks away at it. bleh.

hcad says it was built in 1956 - waaaay wrong! i have materials from william penn decades older.

it was built around the time of ben milam, i believe - mid 1920's...

the demolition is almost painful to watch...each night, that (relatively) small wrecking ball just dinks away at it. bleh.

I've seen smaller buildings imploded, in areas just as dense. Any ideas as to why they didn't go that route?

I've seen smaller buildings imploded, in areas just as dense. Any ideas as to why they didn't go that route?

no clue.

a couple nights ago two men came over to where i was and explained that they were from north carolina and that there was no way a building would be torn down like that there with hardly any safety measures in place...(dust, debris, etc everywhere). implosion was the way to go.

shortly thereafter, a bright green fiberglass bathtub fell from the 9th or so floor onto the ground :unsure::rolleyes:

Edited by sevfiv

Kind of a shock that the Penn Hotel is being demolished. I had heard nothing about the demolition until now. Anyone know what is going in it'splace?

Here is the Chron story:

Historic Houston hotel under the wrecking ball

By LISA GRAY

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Demolition of the 1925 Penn Hotel, which quietly began Sunday, shocked Houston's preservationists, who hadn't considered the building endangered.

The 10-story brick building at 1423 Texas is owned by Spire Realty, which until now has been active in rehabilitating historic buildings in Houston's downtown.

The building was designed by Joseph Finger, the architect who designed many of the city's most important buildings of the era: among them, City Hall; Temple Beth Israel; Citizen's State Bank (known to most Houstonians as the home of the Rockefeller's); 701 Texas (now the Lancaster Hotel); the Jefferson Davis Hospital formerly on Allen Parkway; and the Houston Municipal Airport Terminal.

Houston's preservation laws, among the weakest in the country, do not require public notification of intent to demolish a historic building unless it's in one of the city's small historic districts.

For preservationists, even demolition equipment at the site didn't seem cause for alarm. David Bush, director of programs and information for the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance, drives past the Penn every morning on his way to work. Even when he saw workers removing the building's plate-glass windows and tearing down a one-story addition, he said he assumed that Spire was renovating the property.

"It just shows you," said Bush. "Nothing is safe in Houston."