Bayou On The Bend: Multifamily At 5201 Memorial Dr.

Hi,

I am considering moving from Philadelphia (just graduated) to Houston and living in Bayou on the Bend apartments on Memorial Drive in ZIP 77007. I will be living in a townhome on the top floor, with a designated garage on the same floor, so hopefully that should reduce flooding related issues.

I will be commuting to my office in the Continental Tower building (Smith Street)

Does anyone have experience living in this property or any knowledge about it?

Also, wondering what the 77007 area is like, I am single and like to keep myself busy either doing chores, dining (mostly take out or a quick bite alone until I meet people), seeing movies, meeting people.

I would also like to be proximal to supermarkets for daily needs, e.g. bread, toiletries as well as services such as a post office, dry cleaner, gas station.

I will really appreciate any help that you have.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 1

Hi,

I am considering moving from Philadelphia (just graduated) to Houston and living in Bayou on the Bend apartments on Memorial Drive in ZIP 77007. I will be living in a townhome on the top floor, with a designated garage on the same floor, so hopefully that should reduce flooding related issues.

I will be commuting to my office in the Continental Tower building (Smith Street)

Also, wondering what the 77007 area is like, I am single and like to keep myself busy either doing chores, dining (mostly take out or a quick bite alone until I meet people), seeing movies, meeting people.

I would also like to be proximal to supermarkets for daily needs, e.g. bread, toiletries as well as services such as a post office, dry cleaner, gas station.

Thanks,

Andy

I live down the street in 77007. Nice property. Easy access down Memorial to your office. It's probably 5 minutes with no traffic lights once you get out of your garage to downtown's edge.

Memorial Park is down the street. Exactly 3 mile jog. Very pretty. Great people watching, especially if you run counter clockwise like I do.

Closest grocery is Kroger on W. Gray, not far. If you're a guy you'll love it-TRUST ME. Prime Time is 5-9. haha

Hey if you're moving from Philly there is a Philly sub place next to your new casa called Texadelphia.

There will eventually be a signal installed at the main driveway on Memorial Drive with a median cut. You'll be able to turn left out of the driveway, but not into it from WB Memorial. You'll have to drive down to the signal at Detering and pull a u-turn.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that the location is convenient and proximal. Sorry to be nit picky, I was wondering if there is any good dry cleaner for mens suits, shirts and pants closeby?

Any thoughts on the actual property will be welcome, I believe there are a lot of properties on Memorial Drive, any reason why this is on the expensive end compared to many other rental properties?

Have a great day!

Thanks a lot,

Andy

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that the location is convenient and proximal. Sorry to be nit picky, I was wondering if there is any good dry cleaner for mens suits, shirts and pants closeby?

Any thoughts on the actual property will be welcome, I believe there are a lot of properties on Memorial Drive, any reason why this is on the expensive end compared to many other rental properties?

Have a great day!

Thanks a lot,

Andy

River Oaks Cleaners is in the same strip center as Texadelphia and Starbucks which is right next to you.

They're pretty good. It's a luxury high rise with proximity and views.

It is new high-quality product, well-located relative to everything, is on a street with a prestige address, is perceived of as safe, and has a very unique site. It is high priced because lots of people want to live there.

If I were you, I'd use craigslist.com and har.com to shop around between rentals...that is, of course, if you really want to rent. Home ownership is much more attainable in Houston than it is in the northeast for most folks. A condo or townhome might be more to your liking, depending on your circumstances and personal preferences.

Hi Friends,

Thanks for your replies. I prefer to rent initially as I am moving alone and not familiar with the area and state, thus do not want to rush into purchasing.

My company helped my locate this property, and I have not had a chance to visit it or the area.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I will pm you but I would advise against moving there. While a GREAT location, it is physically isolated. It's also gated and located right where Memorial Drive turns from a regular street into a high speed parkway. Unless going to the strip centers right there, you will need your car for EVERYTHING.

I am assuming you are graduating from Penn or some other inner city school and that is what I am basing my opinion on. I think if you want to dine alone or walk to movies or get a feel for the city or get to know neighbors, your best bet is to move into the 77019 zipcode East of Shepherd Drive, West of Dunlavy, North of Westheimer, and South of West Dallas. That offers the same convenience factor for commuting downtown but will put you in a neighborhood where you can walk to Krogers, the new Fit Gym, several restaurants (Barnabys, Tony Mandolas, Empire Cafe, Brazil, Paulies) and more.

Also, you'll be right next to the River Oaks Theater (art house landmark theater) unless it gets torn down! There is also a post office on west gray at dunlavy and a walgreens on west gray as well.

Edited by KinkaidAlum

Not to disagree with Kinkaid, because I usually agree with him, but this complex is not that isolated. I lived in the condos across the street for 5 years. Much of the daily items are a short walk away, either at the strip center, or the Valero store. There is a new Walgreens at Shepherd and Feagan, which is a slightly longer walk, but a very short bike ride. Kroger is about .6 miles away, again, a short bike ride. And, if you do not want to drive into downtown, the #70 Memorial bus stops virtually in front of your apartment, and drops you a couple of blocks from Continental. The Shepherd stop is the last one before it makes a straight run into downtown. Quick, clean, and seldom crowded.

You could do much worse than this location. Oh, but Mario Williams lives down the street. I hear he is hell on wheels (literally), so look both ways before crossing the street. :lol:

I am surprised no one mentioned looking at a place in Midtown. It is a straight shot to the Continental building and for a single guy, there is ALOT more activity around and chances to meet people (women). It is also pretty much the only place where you can walk to get groceries, eat dinner, get dry cleaning, and go to the bars/clubs. Just my thoughts.

Hi friends,

Thanks for all your help. I am a bit limited in my ability to choose another location because I am currently out of the country, and don't know anyone in Houston who can take the lead on finding another apartment community. I definitely cannot request my company to do so once again.

I am basically looking for a ~1-2 bedroom apartment in a nice secure, relatively newer apartment community, with basic amenities such as secure parking, proximity to stores/restaurants etc.

I was told that Bayou on the Bend would be a good choice, so I began talking with the leasing office out there. Things are pretty much final unless through our discussions here I get some options which I can pursue without being in Houston.

I am hoping that someone who either lives there or knows about the property chips in with their thoughts about the apartments, community, services, management, neighbors etc.

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi friends,

Thanks for all your help. I am a bit limited in my ability to choose another location because I am currently out of the country, and don't know anyone in Houston who can take the lead on finding another apartment community. I definitely cannot request my company to do so once again.

I am basically looking for a ~1-2 bedroom apartment in a nice secure, relatively newer apartment community, with basic amenities such as secure parking, proximity to stores/restaurants etc.

I was told that Bayou on the Bend would be a good choice, so I began talking with the leasing office out there. Things are pretty much final unless through our discussions here I get some options which I can pursue without being in Houston.

I am hoping that someone who either lives there or knows about the property chips in with their thoughts about the apartments, community, services, management, neighbors etc.

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Thanks,

Andy

Like Red Scare, I have to disagree with Kinkaid. It's geographically VERY desireable. The only other place that I would consider if I were you is Midtown, such as Post Midtown Square because it is a mixed-use development just blocks from your office. I used to live there and I loved it. Too bad the trolleys don't run anymore. Bayou Bend is actually a little more luxurious, Post cut some corners with tile, counters, hardware, stuff like that but you can't beat the location and the proxinity to all of the restaurants, cafes, bars and shops.

If you are unsure, I would look into Post Midtown Square. But you are in good shape at Bayou Bend.

Like Red Scare, I have to disagree with Kinkaid. It's geographically VERY desireable. The only other place that I would consider if I were you is Midtown, such as Post Midtown Square because it is a mixed-use development just blocks from your office. I used to live there and I loved it. Too bad the trolleys don't run anymore. Bayou Bend is actually a little more luxurious, Post cut some corners with tile, counters, hardware, stuff like that but you can't beat the location and the proxinity to all of the restaurants, cafes, bars and shops.

If you are unsure, I would look into Post Midtown Square. But you are in good shape at Bayou Bend.

I don't disagree with either of you. It is a VERY good location.

That said, Andy is moving from Philly. He is use to having access to things that are easy to get to by foot (cleaners, restaraurants, movies, post office, grocery store) and he wont find that at Bayou on the Bend. Now, there is NO WAY to recapture that environment in Houston yet, but he can certainly do better than locating off of a major thoroughfare.

Midtown would be MUCH better.

However, I still think after reading his first post in which he specifically mentions movies, restaurants, a grocery store, and a post office, that only the West Gray area offers that while still being very close to downtown. Heck, he could just drive down West Gray to downtown in 5 minutes. The stretch of West Gray from Waugh to Shepherd has ALL of the things he requested and more. Plus, with Regent Square getting ready to break ground, that area will be even better very soon.

Now, I could be wrong about Andy, he might have just graduated from a university off the main line in the ritzy burbs of Philly, but if he went to Penn, Drexel, LaSalle, St Joe's, etc... then he will be disappointed by the lack of a true neighborhood around Bayou on the Bend.

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 1

I don't disagree with either of you. It is a VERY good location.

That said, Andy is moving from Philly. He is use to having access to things that are easy to get to by foot (cleaners, restaraurants, movies, post office, grocery store) and he wont find that at Bayou on the Bend. Now, there is NO WAY to recapture that environment in Houston yet, but he can certainly do better than locating off of a major thoroughfare.

Midtown would be MUCH better.

However, I still think after reading his first post in which he specifically mentions movies, restaurants, a grocery store, and a post office, that only the West Gray area offers that while still being very close to downtown. Heck, he could just drive down West Gray to downtown in 5 minutes. The stretch of West Gray from Waugh to Shepherd has ALL of the things he requested and more. Plus, with Regent Square getting ready to break ground, that area will be even better very soon.

Now, I could be wrong about Andy, he might have just graduated from a university off the main line in the ritzy burbs of Philly, but if he went to Penn, Drexel, LaSalle, St Joe's, etc... then he will be disappointed by the lack of a true neighborhood around Bayou on the Bend.

I still disagree. He cannot expect Houston to be like Philly. That's an old city where everything is in a concentrated area. This is Texas, where everything is bigger, newer and more spread out. He is around the corner from West Gray, literally, so it's perfect with great views of downtown and the bayou. It's a great place.

And by the way Regent Square is "supposed" to break ground in August with Phase 1 is scheduled to be completed in 2010, Phase II in 2014. So that is waaaaay down the road.

Hi Friends,

I just spoke with the Camden leasing office, they seemed to still be less than 100% up and running and were insistent that I 'come in and take a look' to which I tried to explain that I am not in another state, but in another country! I am expecting an email from them with some apartment details soon.

I am slightly familiar with the midtown area, as I have visited it about a year or so ago and spend a day there, but after hours on work, not house hunting.

A bit about me, I just graduated from Wharton, Upenn, which is in the heart of Philadelphia, and lived in center city Philadelphia. Before that I have lived in New York, which I found too fast paced and a bit aggressive, and prior to that studied and lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which was more of a 'car' town.

From what I have read so far it seems that Bayou on the Bend is a good location, within a 5-10 minute drive to various conveniences.

What really attracted me to Bayou on the Bend was the new construction, nice finishes in the apartments and good floor plans. However, I knew very little about the area, which your replies have provided great info about, and still know very little about the actual community itself, such as quality of the apartments, general demographics of the tenants (e.g. mostly middle aged families, or a mix with young professionals), maintanence, etc.

I also believe it has various amenities in the complex such as a swimming pool, hottubs, etc. which I have never seen any graphic or picture of, thus would love any thoughts!

Thanks so much for all your interest in my topic, please keep your thoughts coming, and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks,

Andy

From what I have read so far it seems that Bayou on the Bend is a good location, within a 5-10 minute drive to various conveniences.

You are dead-on with this assessment. Kinkaid is correct, that W. Gray has most everything you need for day to day living. Problem is, there are not really any new apartment communities that put you exactly within walking distance to all of it. You may be close to a few things, but not others. Houston is NOT central Philly. You can get to some things here with a walk, others with a bike, but seldom can you get to ALL of it. This apartment building is in a collection of 3 aprtment buildings and a condo complex, all at one intersection. All of your shopping needs are within a mile. The residents range from 20s to 50s, mostly single or couples. I enjoyed living in the condos across the street. I only moved because I found a good price on a house and yard for my dog.

Look at Google Maps satellite to get a feel where it is located in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck.

I haven't been inside an apartment at Camden yet, but the exterior layout of the buildings is nice. It has a non-complex feel to it. The pool area is really nice too. I like the convenience of walking the couple of blocks to Midtown to eat or have a drink with friends. With the addition of Camden and The Edge, the W Gray & Bagby area is really changing.

• 13 years later...
  • The title was changed to Bayou On The Bend: Multifamily At 5201 Memorial Dr.
  • 1 year later...