Paris Skyline - La Defense

11 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

It’s still somewhat important but no one goes New York for the main purpose of sitting across the river in New Jersey and looking at the skyline. Most great cities are not great because they have nice skylines. For example Barcelona and Paris have next to no iconic skylines outside of a single structure in each. 

Have you not seen the skyline of Paris, called La De'fense?

2560px-La_D%C3%A9fense_%40_Summit_%40_Eiffel_Tower_%40_Paris_%2834849668780%29.jpg

2560px-Eiffel_Tower_from_the_Tour_Montparnasse_3%2C_Paris_May_2014.jpg

1 hour ago, shasta said:

2560px-La_D%C3%A9fense_%40_Summit_%40_Eiffel_Tower_%40_Paris_%2834849668780%29.jpg

2560px-Eiffel_Tower_from_the_Tour_Montparnasse_3%2C_Paris_May_2014.jpg

well played, well done !  and I agree with you as well.  I WOULD TOTALLY go to another city (even at my older age) in order JUST to sit and stare at an iconic and impressive skyline and I believe many people would do the same.

52 minutes ago, Texasota said:

not sure la defense counts as an "iconic" skyline though...

I think the grand arch building in La Defense aligned with the Arc de Triomphe is pretty "iconic" in my opinion.  Besides a few buildings in NYC and maybe Sears Tower, no building/skyline in the US is so probably instantly recognizable to most people with interest in architecture. 

1920px-GrandeArche.jpg

18 hours ago, iah77 said:

I think the grand arch building in La Defense aligned with the Arc de Triomphe is pretty "iconic" in my opinion.  Besides a few buildings in NYC and maybe Sears Tower, no building/skyline in the US is so probably instantly recognizable to most people with interest in architecture. 

1920px-GrandeArche.jpg

I love La Defense. It is visually pleasing.  Glad its where it is. Just wish tour Montpanasse was here instead of it sticking out in the older parts of the city. Paris is a gem of a city. An expensive gem at that.

22 hours ago, shasta said:

Yes I have but it's not even in the top 10 things that come to mind when I think of Paris which further reinforces my point. You also seem to have missed my point that having or not having a great skyline is pretty irrelevant to making a city great. Paris would still be one of the greatest cities on earth with or with out La De'fense. 

2 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I love La Defense. It is visually pleasing.  Glad its where it is. Just wish tour Montpanasse was here instead of it sticking out in the older parts of the city. Paris is a gem of a city. An expensive gem at that.

Great Charming City! I was there last November/early December (Pre-Covid) and I found it surprisingly very affordable. I guess they raise the prices in the summer..so go in the fall!

Archived